Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  [ 102 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked 
 [cl]
 Post subject: Re: MFGG Sprite Competition 1 - 2016
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:14 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Sheetless Funky wrote:
Hexyuu Yandere wrote:
Kinky wrote:
then it's not pixel art, it's a scribble with the pencil tool. so far, i believe mors' entry is the only valid one, unless yours and soniczetrex's entry are being counted

Uhhh, it is the same thing as Mors', plus if that doesn't even count as pixel art, then it would take weeks or even months to make a real 100% pixel art background because it takes too much work to be careful on every single pixel -.-

Nope, you're wrong. I put every single pixel individually, except for straight lines. And I zoomed 100% times while making it. I'm actually gonna update it a bit soon.
EDIT: BTW, it took me 2 hours to complete it, even though I could complete it faster.

I have a point. You can't tell when people do it or not. Example: I couldn't tell if you did it or not because anyway it would have been possible to make that in less time by using the pencil tool. Also the shading of the sky is also not pixel art because of that.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:45 pm 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Hexyuu Yandere wrote:
Sheetless Funky wrote:
Hexyuu Yandere wrote:
Uhhh, it is the same thing as Mors', plus if that doesn't even count as pixel art, then it would take weeks or even months to make a real 100% pixel art background because it takes too much work to be careful on every single pixel -.-

Nope, you're wrong. I put every single pixel individually, except for straight lines. And I zoomed 100% times while making it. I'm actually gonna update it a bit soon.
EDIT: BTW, it took me 2 hours to complete it, even though I could complete it faster.

I have a point. You can't tell when people do it or not. Example: I couldn't tell if you did it or not because anyway it would have been possible to make that in less time by using the pencil tool. Also the shading of the sky is also not pixel art because of that.

except what you did isn't pixel art and therefore should be exempt from entry.

[cl]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:48 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Mit wrote:
Hexyuu Yandere wrote:
Sheetless Funky wrote:

except what you did isn't pixel art and therefore should be exempt from entry.

I explained why it is, but it seems you missed my point -.-

User page at mfgg.net

[tr]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:05 pm 
Thanks DonnieTheGuy!
Administrator
[A]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Hexyuu Yandere wrote:
I couldn't tell if you did it or not because anyway it would have been possible to make that in less time by using the pencil tool.

It would be near impossible to draw these hills without zooming in and putting the each pixel individually, because they are almost perfectly rounded and symmetrical. So yeah, my entry is clearly pixel art and it's really easy to tell that.
Hexyuu Yandere wrote:
Also the shading of the sky is also not pixel art because of that.

Because of what? And no, it's also pixel art. Just like the hills I put each pixel individually for the sky, then stretched it to make it fill the whole background.
Hexyuu Yandere wrote:

Kinky explained why it isn't, but it seems you missed his point -.-

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:07 pm 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Sheetless Funky wrote:
It would be near impossible to draw these hills without zooming in and putting the each pixel individually, because they are almost perfectly rounded and symmetrical.

Or one could just use Paint.net's circle tool in conjunction with the rectangle tool. It's a really simple shape.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:10 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
even then you'd probably have to go back and clean up the curves

[de]
... Coruption ...
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Okay, so I made a new BG, now hopefully fitting the requirements :D

The Background:
Spoiler:

The Tiles:
http://i.imgur.com/G6Bwgwb.png

It is supposed to represent a Sewer Background :)

Last edited by Benstar on Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paper Mario CC Progress:
General Progress, 8%

Games I support:
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[tr]
Thanks DonnieTheGuy!
Administrator
[A]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Willsaber wrote:
Sheetless Funky wrote:
It would be near impossible to draw these hills without zooming in and putting the each pixel individually, because they are almost perfectly rounded and symmetrical.

Or one could just use Paint.net's circle tool in conjunction with the rectangle tool. It's a really simple shape.

Paint.net's circle tool is pretty bad tho, it makes circles pretty jaggy on low resolutions.

[cl]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:11 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Sheetless Funky wrote:
Hexyuu Yandere wrote:
I couldn't tell if you did it or not because anyway it would have been possible to make that in less time by using the pencil tool.

It would be near impossible to draw these hills without zooming in and putting the each pixel individually, because they are almost perfectly rounded and symmetrical. So yeah, my entry is clearly pixel art and it's really easy to tell that.
Hexyuu Yandere wrote:
Also the shading of the sky is also not pixel art because of that.

Because of what? And no, it's also pixel art. Just like the hills I put each pixel individually for the sky, then stretched it to make it fill the whole background.
Hexyuu Yandere wrote:

Kinky explained why it isn't, but it seems you missed his point -.-

How could you have put each pixel individually for the sky??? That's not possible to do in such a short span of time.

And Kinky only partially explained why it isn't, and I justified why he's in the wrong.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:15 pm 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Hexyuu Yandere wrote:
How could you have put each pixel individually for the sky??? That's not possible to do in such a short span of time.

seems you took what all of us said a bit more literally than intended

[tr]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:15 pm 
Thanks DonnieTheGuy!
Administrator
[A]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Hexyuu Yandere wrote:
When I put the pixels its width was just 4 pixels. Then I stretched it to 512 pixels
Hexyuu Yandere wrote:
And Kinky only partially explained why it isn't, and I justified why he's in the wrong.
You just said "Uhhh, it is the same thing as Mors', plus if that doesn't even count as pixel art" which is completely wrong.

[cl]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:21 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Mit wrote:
Hexyuu Yandere wrote:

seems you took what all of us said a bit more literally than intended

What you mean, exactly?

Sheetless Funky wrote:
Hexyuu Yandere wrote:
When I put the pixels its width was just 4 pixels. Then I stretched it to 512 pixels
Hexyuu Yandere wrote:
You just said "Uhhh, it is the same thing as Mors', plus if that doesn't even count as pixel art" which is completely wrong.

1. If you stretched it then that means you skipped putting each pixel individually, but in a worse way than using the pencil tool like I did. So if your entry qualifies, mine should qualify as well.

2. I can easily tell that you misunderstood what I said because you didn't copypaste the whole message.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:24 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
i think this endless back and forth is starting to derail the topic

edeN, you're taking things way too literally, and mors, he obviously won't listen, so why bother?

edeN's entry doesn't qualify and mors' does there we go

[cl]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:25 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Kinky wrote:

edeN, you're taking things way too literally, and mors, he obviously won't listen, so why bother?

You're not elaborating at all -.-

User page at mfgg.net

[tr]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:28 pm 
Thanks DonnieTheGuy!
Administrator
[A]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Hexyuu Yandere wrote:
1. If you stretched it then that means you skipped putting each pixel individually, but in a worse way than using the pencil tool like I did. So if your entry qualifies, mine should qualify as well.
How is that worse? How does that make any difference? If I didn't stretch it it would still look same, but it would also take 5 times more time.
Seriously, if you don't know what's pixel art, then don't argue about it.
Hexyuu Yandere wrote:
2. I can easily tell that you misunderstood what I said because you didn't copypaste the whole message.

Nope, I understood what you were trying to tell, but I don't think you're even trying to understand what we are saying.

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:30 pm 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Hexyuu Yandere wrote:
Kinky wrote:

You're not elaborating at all -.-

when people say "place each pixel individually," it means "not draw with the pencil tool". you can still use tools like fill bucket and whatnot (basically using MS paint helps keep you in line), and that's generally recommended anyway. literally nobody places each individual pixel piece by piece, that's absolutely insane. when people say "each pixel counts", it means that you're creating the illusion of form by using pixels.

a good way to visualize it is drawing on graph paper. fill in each of the squares to try to make a sprite, don't draw through them like you would on regular paper.

[br]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:31 pm 
zzz...
[*]
and in the end, we're derailing this thread, especially when everything that had to be said has been said. i don't think further discussion is needed.

discord: recent#2457

User page at mfgg.net

[de]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:33 pm 
... Coruption ...
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I completly agree with Recent, this Discussion is completly useless at this point...

Paper Mario CC Progress:
General Progress, 8%

Games I support:
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:44 pm 
The Dark Warrior
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Since im contest host, ill settle this once and for all.

Regardless whether Hexyuu's (and by extension, SonicZextrix's) entry is or isn't pixel art (read: I don't fully consider the art entries shown by those two contestants to be pixel art), I still think his shouldn't be counted because his entry looks to me that its less fitting within a Mario game and more or less a nondescript theme his background is. Hexyuu, if you are reading this, I suggest you rework your entry into compliance instead of further derailing this thread.

A friendly reminder that tommarow is the final day and by 12 PM, I will start the voting.

Last edited by DarkSideStrike on Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ATTENTION! I am in need of coders to help fix Mario's physics for Mysterious Islandz. The game as it stands, is quite glitchy. If you are good at GM8 and is capable of reading FDE Exi's code, PM me!

Spoiler:

I am the true darkness. MFGG stands in my way!

User page at mfgg.net

[de]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:50 pm 
... Coruption ...
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Dark Side, should I put a link to my bg in my post aswell or is that okay with the image being shown in the post?

Paper Mario CC Progress:
General Progress, 8%

Games I support:
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  [ 102 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked