Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 59 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked 
 [us]
 Post subject: Re: An important public service message
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:46 pm 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
LuNiney wrote:
i'd rather not participate in the discussion
99% the reason because i'd just ruin everything with my terrible argumenting abilities (R)

but i'd like to add:
talking behind one's back isn't cool.
a while back, certain people talked behind my back while i wasn't in the newer skype group.
t'was about things that clearly could've been said right in front of me.
assumptions that i could've "corrected"
things that i agreed (and disagreed)
things that could have just been talked out.
but no! you have to do it in secret because You Don't Want To "Offend" Anyone And Will Still Act As Your "Friend" Even Though You Have Some Issues With The Guy! ! !
Not talking about privacy stuff, but on the topic of it, talking it out with someone you'd like to complain about in public isn't the best solution...

...but, well... in the end
everyone just becomes a good little hypocrite, and talks behind the backs of each other anyway

i do agree with this, this was pretty out of line when it happened. i'll admit that this was talking behind the backs of others, i dunno if i apologized then for it but i do now.

however, i do think that "getting angry at a post/thread someone made" isn't the same as simply getting angry at the person. believe it or not there's a difference. personally i get frustrated with others in the moment, if someone's being stubborn then i'll get agitated behind the scenes. however after the fact and everything inbetween i simply stop caring. what they do otherwise i couldn't care less about.

when i say "it's not talking about people behind their backs", it's because i know it's not. it only happens when a questionable post is brought up and the user in question has a reputation worth questioning. you're not gonna see people continue to gripe about it unless it's relevant. nobody is that petty they'll voice the same insults and whatever days upon weeks after the fact. if every day everyone gossiped and insulted people without any lead-on then yea, that's talking behind people's backs, especially if they're trying to save face and act like friends. but last i checked that doesn't happen. and it's not like it doesn't leave the group, either. what is said in the group on the topic of a thread or post almost always makes its way out of the group and into that thread as a reply. it's still taken to the forums, in public, it's just more tactful.

this is the last i really care to say on the matter. i'm getting really tired of going back and forth with this.

Kritter wrote:
I will say there's a difference between a personal opinion about relevent subject matter, and a personal attack for the sake of being nasty. You've no idea of the difference apparently. You also don't know how to apologise because none of your "apology" was addressed to me, just a general self-opinion about how bad you are at posting, and it's garbage like this that ruins a potentially good, deep discussion with two sides, when you force me to storm in and defend myself over something that has no bearing on ANYTHING. Think before you post indeed.

for what it's worth what he did is basically what you've been saying for the past page and a half. he had his issue with what you said and brought it to the forums.

[au]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:57 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Mit wrote:
Kritter wrote:
I will say there's a difference between a personal opinion about relevent subject matter, and a personal attack for the sake of being nasty. You've no idea of the difference apparently. You also don't know how to apologise because none of your "apology" was addressed to me, just a general self-opinion about how bad you are at posting, and it's garbage like this that ruins a potentially good, deep discussion with two sides, when you force me to storm in and defend myself over something that has no bearing on ANYTHING. Think before you post indeed.

for what it's worth what he did is basically what you've been saying for the past page and a half. he had his issue with what you said and brought it to the forums.

No he used something I said to make an irrelevant insult.

Available for ANDROID and IOS

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:00 pm 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Kritter wrote:
Mit wrote:
Kritter wrote:

No he used something I said to make an irrelevant insult.

yeah, that's what i mean. it was completely irrelevant to the topic just like going into someone's thread and going at the issues you have with them would be irrelevant to whatever topic it's being done in. that's why it should be kept in private, whether it be with the person in question or if you're just venting because you want to calm down.

[au]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:06 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
If he's got an issue with me he can PM me or an admin if need be, or he can think for a minute and make a rational response to something that's been said here that doesn't require the use of an insult. If he needs to whine to his friends about it "in private" then that's just petty. We've just gone around in circles here about this whole issue, so let me start again:

Quote:
I don't agree. Turns it into a hive-mind where instead of trusting yourself and posting what you feel / learning how to post without being offensive, you're enlisting others to validate your opinion whether it's right or wrong because you're around people you know will back you up, and you can't be pinged for what kind of thing you say because it's not official.

A number of people have already admitted to seeing this happen in various chat mediums, so lets not pretend it's all fun and games when you want to vent about a member.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:21 pm 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
i think people agreeing with eachother based on their own reasons isn't a hivemind. whether it happens or not tends to vary by group, but in the MFGG group i'm pretty sure that, at least in the past, i would call it anything but a hivemind. people would argue all the time to the point of leaving. nowadays that doesn't happen simply because we only let people in if they ask and they're voted in. things are generally quieter in the way of arguments, but they do still happen.

if the skype group was a hivemind all the way then everyone in it would say the same things about the same people for the same reasons. but that's simply not the case. myself and multiple other people from the group have said we argue quite a fair bit still (and i hope this sentence doesn't get twisted as "oh you all agree on something??? nice job its a hivemind"). calling it and all friendly chats a hivemind just seems like calling it a buzzword just to disregard it. friends can help you do things objectively just as well as a stranger can, it's just a bit more difficult. it's not impossible, but it's not easy.

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:23 pm 
Resident Ninnyhammer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Apparently this topic is a prime example of why we need this topic.

Go figure.

User page at mfgg.net

[tr]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:34 pm 
Thanks DonnieTheGuy!
Administrator
[A]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
The group can't be a hivemind when we have Willsaber.

I love how people who call the group a hivemind are not even in the group.
If you don't know something don't comment about it.
I don't really want to continue this. If you think the group is a hivemind, cool keep thinking that. I and 40 other people on the group know it's not and a few people's false assumptions won't make it that.

[ca]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:04 am 
Watashi Wa
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
I feel bad for Vinny's poor topic...

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:29 am 
Great Time Champion
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I feel bad for Vinny's poor topic...

Image | Image | Image | Image
Profiles
Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:40 am 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Mors wrote:
The group can't be a hivemind when we have Willsaber.

I love how people who call the group a hivemind are not even in the group.
If you don't know something don't comment about it.
I don't really want to continue this. If you think the group is a hivemind, cool keep thinking that. I and 40 other people on the group know it's not and a few people's false assumptions won't make it that.

"We're not a hivemind! Everyone said so!"

Even though I know what you're trying to say, I find that really amusing.

Though, talking about people in front of 40 potential other people sounds really private and not talking behind someones back at all. Honestly I wish I never used the term "hivemind" because people have the wrong idea of what I meant, though people like Hyliandev seem to have the right idea.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:26 am 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
the thing about saying that it's in front of nearly 40 people is that rarely ever are those 40 people all around at once, so in a way it's like people idling in an IRC. the difference of course being you can leave an IRC, however you can choose not to read all the messages you've missed on skype (since odds are there's gonna be a lot and you're not gonna want to sift through them all unless you've been notified)

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:20 pm 
[*]
[*]
VinnyVideo wrote:
If you've spent dozens of hours trying to turn your dream into a reality, you probably want everyone to tell you just how awesome it is!

I don't think it's a good idea to do that...

If you did that, you'd probably sound egotistical.

Unless if I'm not getting something here, of course.

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:05 pm 
Wafer-thin Animator
[*]
[*]
[*]
I read over the bulk of this topic and there are a lot of points that I honestly agree with several points in it. I hope you guys don't mind, but I'd like to comment on those points and share my own thoughts on this matter. Some of this is me speaking from personal experiences, but I'll make sure that I don't directly mention anyone to avoid stirring up the pot unintentionally.

By the way, since this is quite a hefty read, I took the liberty of dividing my discussion into multiple spoilers. Of course, I also provided a summery of my points just to give you the base idea.

Even though it's okay to negatively act against other users, it should be saved as a last resort. Ideally, the more experienced users should provide more patience with new users who are sometimes dismissed as dense and immature. Also, the experienced users usually have some sort of power over other users to the point where they could manipulate them to act however they want and sway the opinions of even rationally thinking users. My big concern is to make sure those two factors are not abused to drive the less experienced users into acting irrational and overall keep them as outcasts. Instead, influence like that should be used to advocate for the less fortunate users and build them up into something better.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:45 pm 
Resident Ninnyhammer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Now see, that is the kind of post that would be very likely to get a TL;DR response. Nonetheless, I have a response from what I read shortly before being overwhelmed by text:

E-Man wrote:
To begin explaining what I mean, let me bring up a point made by Kritter. He mentioned that the sense of entitlement the younger generation has become used to has grown, which I can agree with.

Virtually every aged generation has complained about the younger generation being "entitled". This blame game has gone on since ancient times.

What I find amusing about the complaint is that it comes from people who should have raised the new generation. Methinks if kids were raised like they were supposed to be, the older generations would not have as much cause to complain--but I guess self-analysis and critical thinking are not nearly as satisfying as pointing fingers. Alas, the cycle will continue as the new generation makes way for a newer generation. The apple does not fall far from the tree.

Incidentally, I feel it is necessary to point out that the average age of people arrested for felonies has increased.

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:00 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Cap'n Coconuts wrote:
Virtually every aged generation has complained about the younger generation being "entitled". This blame game has gone on since ancient times.

Got a source for that nugget of "information"? Preferably written on papyrus or a stone tablet?

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:37 am 
Resident Ninnyhammer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Kritter wrote:
Got a source for that nugget of "information"? Preferably written on papyrus or a stone tablet?

Book III of Odes, written by Horace, circa 20 B.C.

Quote:
Our sires' age was worse than our grandsires'. We, their sons, are more worthless than they; so in our turn we shall give the world a progeny yet more corrupt.

I rest my case. Good day.

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:49 am 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Aha, so this information is supposed to say that there is no sense of entitlement in the current generation of children? Seems a convenient way for kids to excuse their behavior if you ask me.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:58 am 
Goodbye.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I've seen enough.
This argument needs to end, right now.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:12 pm 
I hate yellow balls of consumption.
[S]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Cap'n Coconuts wrote:
Apparently this topic is a prime example of why we need this topic.

Go figure.

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 59 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked