[ 8 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked 
 [us]
 Post subject: September 2014 Game of the Month
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:48 am 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Paper Mario 3D Land by DJ Coco

Mario fangames aren't just for two dimensions any more! A whole bunch of 3-D platformers have been posted on MFGG, dating back as early as 2007, but none of these games stood out as being much more than an engine test. DJ Coco's latest game is, as far as I'm aware, the first full-length 3-D platformer on MFGG. That's quite an accomplishment! Not only is Paper Mario 3D Land a groundbreaking effort, it's also a lot of fun to play. Paper Mario 3D Land consists of 16 levels of moderate length, divided into four worlds of four levels each. Each level is full of familiar foes like Goombas, Koopas, Spinies, and Hammer Bros., all in 3-D glory, as well as some new enemies, obstacles, and bosses. The game's levels tend to favor the hop and bop of moving platforms, Donut Lifts, and the like, but you'll experience a wide variety of level environments. There are two power-ups - the Dandelion and Mole power-ups - and the careful use of each ability will make your life a whole lot easier. The graphics are based on the original Nintendo 64 Paper Mario, but you'll notice some custom graphics as well. The game looks quite nice, and the soundtrack is also well-selected. The biggest downside of the game is its relatively high system requirements. Fortunately, the adjustable frameskip means the game will be playable even on systems that aren't optimized for 3-D gaming.

Above all, I hope this game proves that making 3-D games is attainable even for people who aren't professionals. While you can't expect to master 3-D game development if you don't have a firm grasp of the fundamentals of making 2-D games, I hope this game inspires more MFGGers to embrace 3-D games.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
 Post subject: Re: September 2014 Game of the Month
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:00 am 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Yay! I'm really glad this game managed to bring joy to so many people :D I never would've thought this game would get this popular even Let's Players would showcase it on their channel. Thanks for the kind words, Vinny! This now makes the fourth badge in my collection :P

Also, a honorary mention to MGC3 at this point - I kinda put it in the shadows with my game, but I really want to encourage people to play it, because it's definitely a very high quality minigame collection. Too bad GOTM is limited to one game a month :P

Cliax Codec is a combination of top-down and third-person shooter. The gameplay will blend platforming, puzzle and shmup elements together to create a unique gameplay experience. You will take control of four playable characters which rise against a team that seemingly wants to take over the world - but are their motives really that cliché, or are there deeper motives behind their actions?

Currently designing Chapter 1-6, 5%

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:29 am 
Goodbye.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I do believe that you hold the current record for both "Most GOTM games", as well as "Most consecutive GOTM games".

Keep it up!

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:43 am 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Haha, thanks ^^

Cliax Codec is a combination of top-down and third-person shooter. The gameplay will blend platforming, puzzle and shmup elements together to create a unique gameplay experience. You will take control of four playable characters which rise against a team that seemingly wants to take over the world - but are their motives really that cliché, or are there deeper motives behind their actions?

Currently designing Chapter 1-6, 5%

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[tr]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:57 am 
Thanks DonnieTheGuy!
Administrator
[A]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Four Game of the Month awards? Wow. WOW!
Congratulations!

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:30 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Congratulations!
The gameplay was smooth as Smooth Moves (I like making puns :laugh: ), and there was a good amount of challenge. Nice job again, DJ Coco! :biggrin:

(11/28/2020) Looking back at most of the things I did here many years ago makes me feel embarrassed :p But hey, we all started somewhere on the internet I guess. This site is basically the only remains of how I was years ago, and I can't look back at what me from over 5 years ago thought was "comedy" without cringing haha

I don't know if I'll return here some day, but I thank you all for the memories coming back to me after looking through my old posts. (which I advise you not to look through if you want to stay sane) If I do return, I do know of the new forum's existence, I just felt like looking back at posts here instead since I was more active on this one.

May the holidays go good if you are reading this around the time I am putting this text in my signature.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:32 pm 
S̛̜̭͚̗͚̪͚̃ͯ̑̉̾̍̎O͙͈̻͖̣͍ͬͨͧO̯̮̯̠N̩̫̣͛̔
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Congraturatshuns! You're winner!

I might have problems with the game, but compared to anything released recently, it is a masterpiece. And the update that you've made for it fixed a lot of problems with the game. Hopefully we get a Paper Mario 3D World!

Also, you're gonna have to put those GOTM awards in a spoiler if you keep winning them.... :laugh:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:03 pm 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Yeah, it's too bad MGC3 came out in the same month as this. :/

But PM3DL is definitely an amazing game!

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
 [ 8 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked