[ 9 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked 
June 2014 Game of the Month, Luigi Land: the Bootleg Invasion
 [us]
 Post subject: June 2014 Game of the Month
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:56 pm 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Luigi Land: the Bootleg Invasion by Cap'n Coconuts

In Luigi Land: the Bootleg Invasion, Cap'n Coconuts does an outstanding job of emulating the Gameboy Color's capabilities of enhancing a game that was originally planned to be released on the Game Boy. That was the theme of the Minigame Competition he entered with this game and he nailed it perfectly - despite not winning, this game feels very authentic and is also very fun to play! It takes the SHMUP areas from Super Mario Land and enhances them. You play as Luigi, blasting through the barrage of SML-based enemies until you eventually fight the big bad boss. The variety of power-ups makes this iteration of the Sky Pop airplane a lot fancier than the one you remember from the original Super Mario Land game. The fast-paced action borders on the frenetic at times, and while the game is very hard, it's not unfairly difficult. Despite being a short minigame, it is a fun experience and is definitely worth your time.

(Also, thanks for DJ Coco for writing some of this.)

Last edited by DJ Coco on Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Added GOTM banner

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
 Post subject: Re: June 2014 Game of the Month
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:03 pm 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
A very nice selection of words in the first half of that advertisement! I couldn't have put it better myself.
Congrats, Coconuts! You really deserved to win with that game, and you had quite the amount of rivals for this GOTM.

Cliax Codec is a combination of top-down and third-person shooter. The gameplay will blend platforming, puzzle and shmup elements together to create a unique gameplay experience. You will take control of four playable characters which rise against a team that seemingly wants to take over the world - but are their motives really that cliché, or are there deeper motives behind their actions?

Currently designing Chapter 1-6, 5%

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:43 pm 
Goodbye.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
An excellent choice Vinny!
For anyone who hasn't tried this game yet: It's definitely one to play!
Compatible to games such as Life force, and Gradious.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:43 pm 
Resident Ninnyhammer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Aw, shucks. *blush*

I've almost got version 1.1 ready, which has a few balance fixes based on JudgeSpear's input (for instance, the Triple weapon is going to get downgraded to Double so it isn't overpowered compared to the Bullet Bill weapon).

As for the difficulty, it's pretty high, and kind of intended to be that way given its nature as a spiritual Mario/Gradius crossover. Version 1.1 will include a Casual difficulty for you people who might not be accustomed to this genre. But those playing for score beware: You get no bonus points for Casual difficulty at the end (lives and upgrade bonuses notwithstanding).

After 1.1 I intend to work on the Uncut Edition which is planned to have all four regions of Sarasaland as well as some additional levels. You'll be shooting down Ulona as well as fighting other bootleg foes, including Fortran, the frightful-looking king of all bootlegs and major gambling addict.

User page at mfgg.net

[tw]
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:57 pm 
福瑞退化者
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Definetly. Even though it did not win the minigame competition, this game deserves a spot of GOTM.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:20 pm 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Banner added to first post.

Cliax Codec is a combination of top-down and third-person shooter. The gameplay will blend platforming, puzzle and shmup elements together to create a unique gameplay experience. You will take control of four playable characters which rise against a team that seemingly wants to take over the world - but are their motives really that cliché, or are there deeper motives behind their actions?

Currently designing Chapter 1-6, 5%

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:26 am 
Resident Ninnyhammer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Version 1.1 has been uploaded to the queue and features a number of improvements over the previous version submitted to MFGG. For instance, there's now a Casual difficulty for you people who aren't very good at SHMUPs.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:39 am 
I'm almost not surprised this won the competition: there's a lot poured to this and it shows, a great example of how a Mario/Gradius-crossover would be like. Congratulations.

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:48 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Congratulations to Cap'n Coconuts! I really enjoyed the gameplay with some fun as I tried to dodge the enemies.

(11/28/2020) Looking back at most of the things I did here many years ago makes me feel embarrassed :p But hey, we all started somewhere on the internet I guess. This site is basically the only remains of how I was years ago, and I can't look back at what me from over 5 years ago thought was "comedy" without cringing haha

I don't know if I'll return here some day, but I thank you all for the memories coming back to me after looking through my old posts. (which I advise you not to look through if you want to stay sane) If I do return, I do know of the new forum's existence, I just felt like looking back at posts here instead since I was more active on this one.

May the holidays go good if you are reading this around the time I am putting this text in my signature.

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
 [ 9 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked