[ 8 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked 
 [us]
 Post subject: December 2013 Game of the Month
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:34 am 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Late Night Mario 3 by Glukom

Official Nintendo games are not renowned for their emphasis on continuity. The Big N can't decide whether Peach's castle is surrounded by a vast ocean, a bustling city, or a racetrack, and let's not even get started on the complexities and absurdities of the Zelda "timeline." On the other hand, Glukom's newest - and apparently last - entry in the Late Night Mario series actually sums up the previous episodes in a way that almost makes sense!

The first LNM game was released way back in Summer 2010, a one-of-a-kind game that roused the passions - both positively and negatively - of MFGGers. While it was intended to be a joke game that paid tribute to the "Late Night Topic" of MFGG's earlier days, many people enjoyed it as a serious game thanks to its unique levels and unmistakable brand of comedy. The subsequent LNM2 took the series down a darker and more polished road. Many had speculated that the canned "Late Night Luigi" marked the demise of the series, but Glukom has returned for one last hurrah.

Late Night Mario 3 continues the saga with more of the signature zany gameplay and irreverent humor, even if the story takes a few dark turns. The level design is the strongest in the series, and the boss fights are among the most interesting on MFGG. The graphics might not be as "perfect" as the likes of TSB2 or Midas Machine, but they're sure a lot more interesting than the oft-recycled graphics that continue to dominate the MFGG mainsite. Plus, there's an excellent soundtrack - after all, a game that uses Dragon Quest V songs can't be all bad! Above all, it's a game with a lot of heart.

Even if the humor isn't your taste, this game teaches an important lesson: Every once in a while, when you're staring down the barrel of doom, you can't do anything but make a joke about biscuits!

User page at mfgg.net

[nl]
 Post subject: Re: December 2013 Game of the Month
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:48 pm 
Wreck 'n get stomped
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Good choice, I absolutely loved this game, even more than part 1 and 2.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:25 pm 
Lawful Evil
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Certainly deserving of the award. A joke game can get away with having poor (though they 'ought to be intentionally poor) graphics and misplaced sound, but it still needs to have fun gameplay, and Late Night Mario pulls that off spectacularly.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:54 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Wow, thanks guys! I'm really glad you dudes liked it so much... I really put everything I had into it, I'm so glad it paid off.

Also, I figure I'll just outright say: there's a secret ending. The instructions on how to access it are on a sign... SOMEWHERE. Some of you have prob already found it, but I don't think I've mentioned it before, and if you haven't I highly recommend looking for it. It's pretty fun stuff, man.

[ph]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:18 am 
The Extended Tileset-inator
[*]
[*]
Congratulations Glukom! You won the Game of the Month for the third time ever, and it was Late Night mario 3! (Wow, the third sequel was now your third Game of the Month. That's quite a coincidence)

Subscribe to my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/Jaden1291
Subscribe to my Geometry Dash YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/GeometryDashAgentJDN

I play Geometry Dash also. I'm a level creator too, check out my levels!

Feel free to give me ideas for new extended tilesets! Also check out my Sprite Topic where I post my art stuff:
https://forums.mfgg.net/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14500

WARNING: Big Signature
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:44 am 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I spent a decent amount of time searching for the secret, but I still haven't found it. The game implies that it's in the third level, the one with the pink background right before the castle, but I might be looking in the wrong place.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:24 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I did get saved from falling into a pit by a platform with a sign in the early levels, and it's somewhere.

[zz]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:11 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
VinnyVideo wrote:
I spent a decent amount of time searching for the secret, but I still haven't found it. The game implies that it's in the third level, the one with the pink background right before the castle, but I might be looking in the wrong place.

That one sign that tells you to look for the other signs was put there just to let you know that something is out there, it doesn't necessarily mean the secret is in whatever level I put the sign in. But it might be!

« Previous topic | Next topic »
 [ 8 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked