[ 9 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked 
 [us]
 Post subject: December 2011 Game of the Month
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:36 pm 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Revenge of the Walrus by VinnyVideo

No, I don't write these features for the sole purpose of self-aggrandizement; to the contrary, Revenge of the Walrus didn't have a whole lot of competition for being the best game submitted to MFGG in the past month. Moreover, I can't say I'm flaunting the game's level of perfection - as I know all too well that there are some major flaws in this game! However, ROTW is the longest platform game not named Psycho Waluigi submitted in the past year, and just about everyone seems to think it's a fun play, conflict of interest aside.

ROTW opens with Mario getting KO'd from behind by a Koopa shell, and the plumber is promptly thrown in the back of a truck and whisked off to a cell in a psychiatric prison owned and operated by a group of militant walruses. As usual at times like this, Mario must escape - and keep these strange tusked mammals from obtaining world power! As you can probably guess, the game is more than a little zany at times. The semi-normal levels are interspersed with such oddities as a marijuana farm, a Waligie-style drug trip, and two different optional quiz levels. With over 30 levels, the game will keep you playing for quite a while, and once you've beaten the game, you can go back and hunt down all the red coins in every level and unlock all the achievements. Rumor has it that there are a few Easter eggs hidden for diligent players to find. The game also boasts a diverse soundtrack featuring high-quality Ogg music.

If I had the time and motivation to redo this game from scratch, I would've used a fully original engine rather than DeeY's early-2010 engine, which cost me countless hours of removing remnants of bad Hello code, and I would've redone some of the clashing graphics. That's not to mention the nasty little "can't clear levels" glitch that kept returning even after I thought I'd fixed it, which still needs fixing.

Also, keep making games so I can give the next award to someone who's not me.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
 Post subject: Re: December 2011 Game of the Month
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:48 pm 
heartbeat, increasing heartbeat
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Yay! It sucks that I haven't played it yet because my computer's still broken...

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:59 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I really want to try this, but I'm so busy lately. I'll probably download it tonight if I can finish this tileset I'm working on.

User page at mfgg.net

[tw]
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:20 pm 
福瑞退化者
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
The level design is very good. Like some people said earlier, the difficulty curve is absurd. Maybe the physics made it hard.

User page at mfgg.net

[aq]
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:53 pm 
Founder
[F]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Last I played it, I too fell victim to the "can't clear levels glitch" and admittedly haven't touched it since (that, and I have been occupied with other activities). However, aside from that, what I have seen I liked-- this actually reminds me of some of the games from MFGG past. This is to say, a fairly straightforward and standard Mario clone with nice touches of absurdity that serve to remind you that you are playing a fangame - one that actually revels in its status as a fangame, rather than attempting to pass as "authentic."

Psychic Cyclopean Silverware IN SPACE!
Follow updates (among other things) on The Twitterbooks!
(if you followed my old personal account, this is a different one - follow it instead!)

Engine test demo and more @
EyesInEverything.com

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:07 am 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I tried it, and from what I saw it was a pretty solid game, but sadly, I didn't get too far into it before it crashed on me.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:13 am 
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

The funny thing is the level-clearing glitch has happened to me only a very small number of times, and I thought I'd fixed it because it didn't occur a single time in my final two test runs. But I'll see if I can fix it later this week - I've been a bit busy myself.

Also, TD, I'm glad you liked the vibe of the game - because that's the feel I was going for.

User page at mfgg.net

[aq]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:10 pm 
Founder
[F]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Also of note, I kept expecting the grey walruses to breathe ice at me-- when you were asking me for resources for that one easter egg, you should have also asked me for that Psycho Waluigi enemy as well. ;P

Psychic Cyclopean Silverware IN SPACE!
Follow updates (among other things) on The Twitterbooks!
(if you followed my old personal account, this is a different one - follow it instead!)

Engine test demo and more @
EyesInEverything.com

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:55 pm 
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Actually, a PW Ice Walrus is lurking somewhere in the bowels of the .GMK file - the only reason I didn't include it in the final game is I didn't have the ice sprite for it.

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
 [ 9 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked