[ 4 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked 
 [us]
 Post subject: August 2011 Game of the Month
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:13 pm 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Paper Bowser World 3 by Toodles Team

This month gave MFGG another unexpected little treat - the long-awaited release of Toodles' third entry in the Paper Bowser World series, a game that almost everyone had long written off as being another casuality of the black hole of Really Awesome Projects That Never Will Be Completed. However, thanks to the motivation from Dazzle's work on his Super Paper Bowser World (a "fangame of a fangame"), this game actually became a reality.

The prequel to this game, Paper Bowser World 2: Operation G.R.O.M., met with mixed reviews because of its tendency to stray quite far from the original PBW formula, so PBW 3 focuses less on executing a convoluted story and puts a much greater emphasis on good old-fashioned destruction! Some reviewers (notably Mecha) sharply criticized PBW 2 for being too much like the original, but few will dispute PBW 3's top-notch graphics and humorous story and dialogue. In fact, a number of reviewers cited PBW 3 as being the best of the series.

PBW 3 begins with Bowser vowing to Kammy Koopa to regain his rightful place as a true-blue, red-blooded video game villain, and he sets out to abduct Peach while Kammy bakes an appropriate cake. Needless to say, some plot twists end up changing the course of the adventure, although the king of the Koopas still ends up stomping, smashing, and going on a rampage through 16 colorful and enjoyable (if rather easy) levels. It's also rumored that there's something in store for players who can beat the game while accruing enough coins. PBW 3 is a fitting conclusion to a series that's become an MFGG classic, and I heartily recommend giving it a shot, even if you're someone who rarely plays fangames.

User page at mfgg.net

[aq]
 Post subject: Re: August 2011 Game of the Month
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:44 am 
Cheezits are my favorite snack
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Not surprised about this, but that doesn't change the fact that this game is so excellent. I was one of the reviewers that said the game was the best in the series. It really is a wonderful end to a great trilogy of games.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:58 am 
[*]
[*]
Fun fact: Before settling on just calling it "Paper Bowser World 3" as the final title, I considered calling this game "Paper Bowser World: Redux" because it is nearly a remake of the first game. Even the cake gag is a callback to the original, and of course this game follows the same worlds and level themes of the first game and in the same order. Bowser is heading to Peach's castle again, after all. He's covering the same ground! Of course in it's final form, the game does differ from the original in a lot of ways, but it was meant to be noticeably similar. Another sequel to the first game, rather than a sequel to GROM. Basically, it's what the first game was supposed to be five years ago.

Of course, all the games in the PBW series are very much love it/hate it fangames thanks to their focus on humor over gameplay, the slow nature of playing as Bowser, and the fact that I am really not a particularly gifted level designer so the levels don't do anything especially clever. Even so, it does seem that the vast majority of players who have played PBW3 enjoyed it a great deal, and if nothing else, I'm pleased to finally have finished the game, given how long I've had it on the back of my mind!

Thanks for the acknowledgement and I'm glad to see the game so well received for the most part! :whoops:

User page at mfgg.net

[tw]
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:49 pm 
福瑞退化者
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
RandomClam wrote:
Not surprised about this, but that doesn't change the fact that this game is so excellent. I was one of the reviewers that said the game was the best in the series. It really is a wonderful end to a great trilogy of games.

Me too.

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
 [ 4 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked