Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  [ 93 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked 
 [zz]
 Post subject: Re: 30 Games on MFGG Worth Playing
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:20 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
OMG! I loved Sacred Bells! :D

also, this is random, but I get the feeling that were on game like, 85. :/

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:57 pm 
Needs more Custom Title Request forum.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Wiiboy4ever wrote:
OMG! I loved Sacred Bells! :D

also, this is random, but I get the feeling that were on game like, 85. :/

check out the first post

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:05 pm 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Somehow this seems more like #28 out of 30...

Kittie Quest by Cutman

OK, so this town is big enough for one more MFGG-based game to make the list, after all! Kittie Quest is not a "good" game by any stretch of the imagination, but it's a relic of an earlier era that's got enough charm and originality to make it a decent way to blow some time - and trust me, you will, assuming you get past the first boss. The game is loosely based on a topic posted during the old EZBoard days of MFGG, but there's enough random silliness for it to be enjoyable to those unfamiliar with the characters. The plot opens with the evil and demented Dr. Octopus kidnapping Yoshiman's cat Kishi, and the musical dinosaur travels to Doc Ock's lair to retrieve his feline friend. This opening battle, incidentally, is nearly impossible if you don't know how to beat the system. The game continues with other MFGG "oldbies" helping Yoshiman in various absurd levels, which frequently have a certain Waligie feel to them, which shouldn't be a surprise considering Cutman made a lot of the levels in the older games in that series. Some of Kittie Quest's carefree silliness is dampened by the fact that the game is just way too hard. The glitchy Clickteam engine presents no end of collision problems, and worse yet, you can't get a password before fighting any of the game's (difficult) boss battles, forcing you to fight your way back through the previous level to get back to the boss. And yes, you will get tired of hearing Rachel's Theme from Final Fantasy VI. Personally, I know it's not 2001 any more, but I wish someone would finish a good MFGG-based game instead of letting similar projects die as they always do nowadays (with a couple of rushed and iffily-executed exceptions from the current author in the past year or two).

Also, if you want to download this game without one of those old-fashioned Clickteam installers that are despised by about 100% of us, I can upload an installer-free version for you. And if anyone needs passwords, I can PM them to anyone who wants them, although I only have them for the levels I've beaten (which goes up to the Cave of Flames).

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:41 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
thus far i am the only one that holds Cutman's prize he was offering for any one who could prove they beat the game on my hard drive

no one else is getting it unless they beat the game and show me

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:00 am 
Goodbye.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
DJ Yoshiman wrote:
thus far i am the only one that holds Cutman's prize he was offering for any one who could prove they beat the game on my hard drive

no one else is getting it unless they beat the game and show me

...I never did get my prize for that....
then again...I never did PROVE i beat it neither..
.blasted dialup connection I had at the time anyway...

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:09 pm 
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Now I must take the time to beat that game.

Paper Mario World by Superadammario

Eno the Red Guy wrote:
Please, make the pain stop... I actually think it would be a good idea to download it, just so that you can laugh at how awful it is and it teaches you how NOT to make a fangame of any kind.

Retriever II wrote:
You may even have a little fun while you're laughing at it.

Coltranepep wrote:
Although the game is sloppy, its design goes very smoothly. The game is not in fact worst but surely it is beautiful.

It's the standard by which all other poorly-made fangames are measured, so why I am I telling everyone to play it? Yes, I am spending two of the final three entries on this list on "bad" games, but like Kittie Quest, Paper Mario World is a bad fangame that has a thousand more times more charm than most of the other "bad" games around on MFGG or elsewhere. This doesn't simmer at "that was boring" bad; this is full-fledged B movie-tier "that was so horrible it's hilarious" bad. I can safely say I have never seen a game with graphics clashing as monumental as this game; there's no way to make Super Mario RPG sprites look good on the same screen as Super Mario World tiles and a Mario sprite from Paper Mario. No way. The MIDI music wasn't great even by the standards of circa-2002, either. And not only are you stuck with a poorly-executed Clickteam platform engine (with all the glitches associated with it), the level design is awful as well - the first world of the game consists of jumping across a bunch of random platforms, and once you reach the levels where the developer got the wild idea to add some enemies, the gameplay still isn't good. PMW introduces many original ideas that have rarely been attempted in other fangames (for example, voice acting), but these ideas are consistently bungled - the voice acting stops after the halfway point, by which time the game descends into Bad Crossover Fanfiction Mode. The partner system isn't executed well, nor does the game do a good job of introducing the 8-directional or race car engines. While it's pretty clear that PMW was intended as a test of the various engines built into TGF, fangame makers and indie developers the world over can use PMW as a textbook on how not to make a game. In spite of its glaring faults, however, PMW still retains a certain cheesy charm that has never been duplicated.

Paper Mario World wrote:
And then Mario beat Bowser.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:37 pm 
Lucario and/or Braixen = best avatar
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Paper Mario World wrote:
And then Mario beat Bowser.

That made my morning :laugh:

But seriously, I've only played that game one time... meybe for about 2 minutes XP

I'll probably have to play it again now =P

Spoiler:

Fangame(s) I support:
Spoiler:

You can find me on:
Image Image Image Image Image

These are my Smashers of choice:

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:47 pm 
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

New and Tasty by Shadowman

And last but not least, the granddaddy of all MFGG minigame compilations, New and Tasty. While I made every effort to make the order of the games on the list as random as possible, I'm ending this list with a game that's deserving of the final spot, especially since you might end up playing it all month! New and Tasty is a collection of a dozen minigames, eight of which are playable immediately, and the rest are unlockable by achieving certain score and achievement thresholds. Each minigame is simple, intuitive, and addictive, making this a game that appeals to both hardcore and casual players, and unlike many professionally-made minigame collections, there aren't any games here that make you think "That was boring.". The gameplay include both frenetic action-based games like Sky High and some more subtle games like Blastoff that emphasize timing and precision. What truly sets New and Tasty apart from the peloton, however, is the top-notch online high scores feature. This doesn't just record the top ten scores ever, or a mass of every score that's ever been submitted. Instead, it keeps track of the top scores for each minigame, divided into three different categories: all-time records, as well as the top scores of the past month and week. All this combines to make this a game with unparalleled replay value, and you should check it out if you haven't already!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Also, an honorable mention to a few other random games that missed the cut. There are undoubtedly other worthy games I've never played (or possibly never even heard of), so this short list will, regrettably, have to suffice:

• Super Mario Bros. X. A great game, but it was never really developed on MFGG, and the main site version is a really old demo.
  • Mushroom Kingdom Fusion. Again, a high-quality game that was mostly developed off-site.
  • Wario Time. A very charming Wario demo from 2010 that appears unlikely to ever reach the finish line.
  • SMB - Raiders of the Painting Realms. An awesome concept from Guinea that's also unlikely to reach completion.
  • Mario Left the Cheese Out. More of an engine test than anything, but awesome for the standards of 2001.
  • Zapper: Reloaded. A good simple shooter with a nice upgrades system. My #31 pick.
  • Tidal Toss. One of the more fun minigames on the site from Yoshiman and Mario Gamer.
  • Super Mario Melatonin. Utterly nonsensical game, but a cult classic.
  • SHPDMBGWL. I know it's blasphemous, but I still haven't played Squirrel's joke game series.
  • Goomba-Go-Squish and Dodge the Shy-Guys. Two more games that are so bad they're good. Sonic's Bible Adventure, too, even though it's not specifically MFGG-related.

In closing, I'd like to say writing this has been a really fun experience that let me play a lot of really good games, many of which I'd missed out. And I'd like to extend a great big thanks to everyone who's submitted anything to MFGG, especially the games that appeared on this list, and to you for reading it!

User page at mfgg.net

[in]
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:30 pm 
i'd hit it
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
VinnyVideo wrote:
SMB - Raiders of the Painting Realms. An awesome concept from Guinea that's also unlikely to reach completion.

THIS game is amazing and I'm sad that it did not get a post to itself :(

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:01 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Awesome job with this, Vinny. Hats off to you.

Also, Tidal Toss, forgot about that - not to brag or be egotistical, but looking back, MG and I made some pretty cool minigames that surprise me to this day.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:58 pm 
Creator of Paper Mario World
Great job on this month long event. I can't believe I made it into this list either.

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:18 pm 
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Thanks - I'm glad you all liked the list! And maybe this'll get people to check out some more of MFGG's best games, especially the ones that have often been overlooked.

And yes, Tidal Toss is a great minigame. You don't see too many MGC entries as polished as that one.

Raiders of the Painting Realms would've made the list if it was just a little longer. Sadly, Guinea says it's likely scrapped, because he says it would be hard for later levels to achieve the same quality as the ones in the demo.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:16 am 
Real horses don't run into trees
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
VinnyVideo wrote:
Raiders of the Painting Realms would've made the list if it was just a little longer. Sadly, Guinea says it's likely scrapped, because he says it would be hard for later levels to achieve the same quality as the ones in the demo.

I think my explanation didn't say anything about the quality of the levels, but more of the engine. And yeah, it's definitely scrapped, sad but true. It had potential but at that point the more I did the more problems I was left with, so I didn't see an end to it. And it didn't help that I also had to make all the graphics myself.
But hey, some people had fun playing the demo and it got an honorary mention in this list, and Midas Machine is a nice spiritual successor, as it does recycle some of the ideas that were not in the demo.

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  [ 93 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked