Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 93 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked 
 [us]
 Post subject: Re: 30 Games on MFGG Worth Playing
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:03 pm 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Char: I like that idea very much.

Highway Trouble by Saturn (a.k.a. Supernova)

Highway Trouble is another one of a very small number of games that are still actively under production to make my list, although a beta did appear on the main site last year. In Highway Trouble, Bowser has created an army of heavily-armed Mario lookalikes to attack the streets of the Mushroom Worlds, and it's up to Mario to defeat them to rescue Peach and prevent the King of the Koopas from achieving world power. As you can probably tell, this isn't your typical bouncy platform game full of gap-toothed mutant mushrooms, orange-skinned turtles, and other "enemies" that are way too cute to justify stomping. No, this is a high-adrenaline, high-testosterone, Rambo kind of game! In fact, it's modeled after an Xbox 360 game called Alien Hominid. You spend the entire game jumping across cars (which are always in motion) and defending against the clones with your machine gun. Bowser isn't content relying on weak Goombas to do his business, so you'll also encounter helicopter fire, Koopa armored cars, and other military-grade menaces. With plenty of power-ups and a variety of enemies, this action-packed game is another game on MFGG that proves Mario fangaming isn't just about Hello engines and Black Squirrel tilesets!

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:48 pm 
Needs more Custom Title Request forum.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
i remember this being on NCFC, then going and trying it out, thinking it was another newbish game

i was pleasantly surprised

User page at mfgg.net

[tw]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:25 am 
福瑞退化者
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
VinnyVideo wrote:
Char: I like that idea very much.

Highway Trouble by Saturn (a.k.a. Supernova)

Highway Trouble is another one of a very small number of games that are still actively under production to make my list, although a beta did appear on the main site last year. In Highway Trouble, Bowser has created an army of heavily-armed Mario lookalikes to attack the streets of the Mushroom Worlds, and it's up to Mario to defeat them to rescue Peach and prevent the King of the Koopas from achieving world power. As you can probably tell, this isn't your typical bouncy platform game full of gap-toothed mutant mushrooms, orange-skinned turtles, and other "enemies" that are way too cute to justify stomping. No, this is a high-adrenaline, high-testosterone, Rambo kind of game! In fact, it's modeled after an Xbox 360 game called Alien Hominid. You spend the entire game jumping across cars (which are always in motion) and defending against the clones with your machine gun. Bowser isn't content relying on weak Goombas to do his business, so you'll also encounter helicopter fire, Koopa armored cars, and other military-grade menaces. With plenty of power-ups and a variety of enemies, this action-packed game is another game on MFGG that proves Mario fangaming isn't just about Hello engines and Black Squirrel tilesets!

Yeah, I'm a big fan of Metal-Slug and Alien Hominid.

BTW, I'm trying to release another beta version on the website, but it failed.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:42 am 
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Saturn: Why did it "fail?"

Super Mario: Blue Twilight DX by BlazeHedgehog

Super Mario: Blue Twilight DX holds a special place in the history of MFGG - after all, it's the only game that's gotten it on national television! While this attention didn't cause any measurable increase in members, and MFGG has gotten its share of fame since, it's also important to realize that this is one of the best games on MFGG, and one of the best holiday-themed fangames ever. Blue Twilight DX takes place on the night of Halloween, and as Mario and Peach are walking home, Peach is nabbed by an evil gargoyle - and Mario must find her, even if it means going through a haunted castle that only appears once a year. The gameplay takes you through various Halloween-themed levels, like a pumpkin patch and a ghost ship, all while decent-quality (and relatively compact) IT music plays in the background. Some of the game's glitches can make life frustrating at times, and there's a bit of graphics clashing, but you'll remember this game for the great level atmosphere and the relatively complex boss battles. Above all, this game includes a huge number of secrets and Easter eggs, from secret levels to concept art. A wise fangame or indie developer might want to take note of the things Blue Twilight does to give this game almost-unrivaled replay value.

User page at mfgg.net

[tw]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:43 pm 
福瑞退化者
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
VinnyVideo wrote:

Everytime, I tried to upload the file, it shows an error message like this:
Error wrote:
The submission request did not originate from this site, or you attempted to repeat a completed transaction.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:15 am 
Needs more Custom Title Request forum.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
that usually means it took a long time uploading, which probably means it's over the 50 MB limit

also Blue Twilight - Blaze did SFGHQ proud, and apparently did MFGG proud as well with that one!

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:42 pm 
heartbeat, increasing heartbeat
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
supernova wrote:
VinnyVideo wrote:

Everytime, I tried to upload the file, it shows an error message like this:
Error wrote:
The submission request did not originate from this site, or you attempted to repeat a completed transaction.

That's what happens every time I try to upload Peek-A-Boo!

Exceeding filesize? Maybe THAT'S the reason...

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:00 pm 
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Super Luigi Dreams by Hatman

Super Luigi Dreams is another one of the 2-D platform games on the list, but it also adds more than enough new twists to make it stand out from the pack. While the Princess has indeed been kidnapped again (how could THAT happen, of all things), and Mario goes to save her, as usual, you actually play as Luigi in this game. You're met with a fairy at the start of the game (who is constantly confusing you with your more famous, red-clad brother), and he begs you to help him rescue his friends, who have been trapped in cages in various levels. Thus you have to both finish the levels in the game and try to find the fairy hidden in each level if you want to beat the game 100%. And that's not all - there are also six hidden Badges (only three of which I've found so far) and even some bonus content once you've beaten the game. The regular levels themselves are pretty good, and thanks to interesting gameplay mechanics ranging from whirlwinds to Woodfall Temple-style cannon plants, the gameplay never feels stale or unoriginal. Despite a few instances of graphics clashing and some uninspired dialog boxes, the visuals are generally decent, as well. One of the best of GM games of its era, Super Luigi Dreams has held up quite well in the five years since its release.

User page at mfgg.net

[in]
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:40 pm 
i'd hit it
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
yessssss my favourite game after midas machine :3c
I never actually finished it

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:41 pm 
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Mario vs. the Koopas by Castor

Another fairly standard platform game from another member you've never heard of, Mario vs. the Koopas takes you on another mission to rescue Peach from Bowser and his airship armada. You'll cross through grass words, a desert, airships, and other familiar Mario settings. The unoriginal story and unimaginative plot may have you thinking this is another "noob" game, but the graphics in this game are possibly the most polished of any game on MFGG save for Midas Machine, and the music - which includes a mix of SPC files, which sound exactly the way they would on an actual Super NES, and VGMusic MIDIs converted to MP3s with better soundfonts - is consistently top-notch. Most importantly, level design is also first-class, and the game's enemies and bosses are quite cleverly-made. Rather than trying to clone the original Super Mario Bros. or SMB 3, many of the levels feel more Yoshi's Island-ish, in fact. And while there are only 11 levels in the game, all of them are of decent length and offer a hard but fair challenge. Perhaps most interesting of all, this is the first - and only - game this member ever submitted.

User page at mfgg.net

[tw]
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:10 pm 
福瑞退化者
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
VinnyVideo wrote:
Mario vs. the Koopas by Castor

Another fairly standard platform game from another member you've never heard of, Mario vs. the Koopas takes you on another mission to rescue Peach from Bowser and his airship armada. You'll cross through grass words, a desert, airships, and other familiar Mario settings. The unoriginal story and unimaginative plot may have you thinking this is another "noob" game, but the graphics in this game are possibly the most polished of any game on MFGG save for Midas Machine, and the music - which includes a mix of SPC files, which sound exactly the way they would on an actual Super NES, and VGMusic MIDIs converted to MP3s with better soundfonts - is consistently top-notch. Most importantly, level design is also first-class, and the game's enemies and bosses are quite cleverly-made. Rather than trying to clone the original Super Mario Bros. or SMB 3, many of the levels feel more Yoshi's Island-ish, in fact. And while there are only 11 levels in the game, all of them are of decent length and offer a hard but fair challenge. Perhaps most interesting of all, this is the first - and only - game this member ever submitted.

I remember the blade thingy always kills me. It's pretty fun so far.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:41 pm 
Lucario and/or Braixen = best avatar
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

VinnyVideo wrote:

That was one of my major inspirations to design my own games :D
It was the best Mario fangame I had ever played besides SMBDDX.

Spoiler:

Fangame(s) I support:
Spoiler:

You can find me on:
Image Image Image Image Image

These are my Smashers of choice:

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:33 pm 
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

V-Ware by VirtuMaster

Let's face it: A certain pseudo-Italian plumber has starred in a whole bunch of the games featured on this list, which isn't surprising considering this is a Mario-centric site. And we've seen games where you play as Luigi, Yoshi, Toad, Bowser, or even some random guy from the Web site of the Vermont Health Department. But one character from the Marioverse hasn't been represented at all yet, and that's Wario, even if his role in this game is minimal. V-Ware is a very good WarioWare clone featuring assorted microgames. As in the real WarioWare games, these microgames can be finished in a matter of seconds before the next game pops up. You keep playing through the games until you run out of lives, trying to stay alive as long as possible and increase your score. The games themselves are well-made and offer enormous variety, and goodies like online high scores, an achievements system, a microgame gallery, and other things will keep you playing for a long while. And by a "long while," I mean "this could blow your afternoon." Or more.

It is with great shame that I confess that I never played this game when it was new, even though that was the time I began checking MFGG most faithfully.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:36 pm 
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Mario Pipe Network by Anther

Mario Pipe Network was at one time the highest-rated game on MFGG, and it remains a quality game, even for a demo that will likely never be finished. MPN is different from most platform games in that each level consists of several "missions" - once you've beaten a level for the first time, you'll unlock another mission where you have to finish it in a very short amount of time without losing a life. The engine is fairly smooth, especially by 2005 standards, and the graphical effects are some of the best of any game on MFGG. The game also boasts some of the nicest MIDI-based music you'll see in a fangame. The levels feel fresh and innovative, as well. Some players (including myself) have complained that parts of the game are overly difficult, but it's also nice seeing a fangame that actually offers some challenge. And maybe, just maybe, Anther will surprise us someday with a final version.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:56 pm 
Your local psychic.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

VinnyVideo wrote:
Super Luigi Dreams by Hatman

Super Luigi Dreams is another one of the 2-D platform games on the list, but it also adds more than enough new twists to make it stand out from the pack. While the Princess has indeed been kidnapped again (how could THAT happen, of all things), and Mario goes to save her, as usual, you actually play as Luigi in this game. You're met with a fairy at the start of the game (who is constantly confusing you with your more famous, red-clad brother), and he begs you to help him rescue his friends, who have been trapped in cages in various levels. Thus you have to both finish the levels in the game and try to find the fairy hidden in each level if you want to beat the game 100%. And that's not all - there are also six hidden Badges (only three of which I've found so far) and even some bonus content once you've beaten the game. The regular levels themselves are pretty good, and thanks to interesting gameplay mechanics ranging from whirlwinds to Woodfall Temple-style cannon plants, the gameplay never feels stale or unoriginal. Despite a few instances of graphics clashing and some uninspired dialog boxes, the visuals are generally decent, as well. One of the best of GM games of its era, Super Luigi Dreams has held up quite well in the five years since its release.

Good enough for me to have done an LP of it... But those Amps... those horrible horrible Amps...

I should really pick up on doing more fangame LPs. Maybe I'll do a few from this list...

Falcon Punch is the result of the Sun heating fists. It drives the Blue Falcon. Heating causes destruction of water into the pain, where it then hurts, creating rain. Rain creates flowing water in tears, which can then be converted into other forms through more pain.

scaled image
Mario's Sticker Stage - Finished adding Jump Stickers!, 26%

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:34 pm 
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

ZK: Doing an LP or a gameplay video of some of these would be awesome. Just be sure to tell me if you make one, so I can add a link to it.

Psycho Waluigi by Thunder Dragon

A pretty good game, in my humble opinion, even if it remains in demo/WIP stage as development continues. Psycho Waluigi finally allows Waluigi to step out of the shadow of his alleged brother and star in a role that gives him unique special powers while allowing players to assume a spunky, yet thoroughly naughty, bad guy role. The game's plot unfolds when Waluigi falls out of a hot-air balloon in the opening cutscene, whereafter he lands unconscious in a surreal dream world where he has psychic powers. These powers allow the use of a special bubble for manipulating most of the objects in the game, such as clearing away enemies or flinging a spiked ball at a fragile wall. The psychic powers make this a stunningly fresh and innovative fangame; in fact, at times it feels that Waluigi has been deposited in the middle of a (very high-quality) indie game. While Toad Strikes Back was remembered for numerous highly unorthodox worlds, Psycho Waluigi takes zaniness to the next level with levels based on concepts as off-the-wall as soap and hardware stores. And with nice graphics and fresh, original music, Psycho Waluigi is a treat for the eyes and ears. We can only await what the next updates will have in store...

User page at mfgg.net

[aq]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:09 pm 
Cheezits are my favorite snack
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Oh yes. I still can't wait for Psycho Waluigi.

User page at mfgg.net

[aq]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:31 pm 
Founder
[F]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Fall 2011. ;)

Psychic Cyclopean Silverware IN SPACE!
Follow updates (among other things) on The Twitterbooks!
(if you followed my old personal account, this is a different one - follow it instead!)

Engine test demo and more @
EyesInEverything.com

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:06 pm 
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Super Mario and the Sacred Bells by Firestyle

Super Mario and the Sacred Bells is the final conventional platform game to make the list. Even though it was overshadowed by some games around its time released by more prominent members, it's one of the best traditional adventure games on MFGG. In this game, Bowser's forces have again attacked the Mushroom Kingdom, and Mario must find and ring seven bells to dispel Bowser's dark powers. Yeah, it's not a terribly original plot, but at least Peach didn't get kidnapped again. To get to each bell you'll have to traverse a four-level world and defeat one of the Koopalings at the end of the world, so you'll be playing a while - especially since the game's 27 levels are pretty long. And the hours you'll spend playing this game will be worthwhile thanks to the quality level design and intriguing (and challenging) bosses, along with a good original engine, attractive graphics, and reasonably fresh MIDIs.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:52 pm 
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

MFGG Ware by MechaBowser (a.k.a. Mecha the Slag)

A controversial game by an ever-controversial member, MFGG Ware almost vanished from existence because it never appeared on the MFGG main site and because of a widely-circulated (and untrue) allegation that the game was really a virus or Trojan. A copy was unearthed a year ago, however, saving this game from the same fate that befell Waligie Episodes for half a decade. MFGG Ware is another WarioWare-like collection of microgames, perhaps not quite as polished as V-Ware but loaded with pep and zaniness. Whether you're banning the then-notorious member King Piranha Plant or skating as Adolf Hitler, MFGG Ware's game are often downright hilarious, even if you're unfamiliar with the characters and situations being alluded to. While the game isn't "complete," the microgames definitely offer enough variety to keep you playing a decent amount of time. The graphics are usually quite coherent for a game of this type, and the music is quite good as well, even when it means playing the Chicken Dance on the title screen. If you've never played this game before, whether because you couldn't find it or because you thought it was malware, I suggest giving this a spin. I'll repeat - it's not a virus - I'm not that bad a person to be posting a virus on MFGG!

MechaBowser is the author of a few other games that almost made the list. Most notably, The Block Fairy and Ruined in Wario are two of his better minigames, and No More Plumbers is a unique (and extraordinarily bloody) game that offers a one-of-a-kind gameplay experience, despite being aimed at a niche audience.

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 93 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked