Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 93 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked 
 [zz]
 Post subject: Re: 30 Games on MFGG Worth Playing
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:50 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
dustinvgmaster wrote:
DJ Yoshiman wrote:
i was so surprised that it got off the ground and is at the level it is today - i enjoyed playing it very much, and hope it continues to being finished!

Well, I guess this proves it. DJ Yoshiman is actually Fawful.

...Anyway, on topic: Midas Machine was a fangame I enjoyed far more than I should have, having played through the demo several times. I, also, hope to see this project finished.
broken engrish ftl

But yeah. Midas Machine was...... attractive.

User page at mfgg.net

[aq]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:12 am 
Cheezits are my favorite snack
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I;m glad you are including a variety of well known and obscure games. I did actually play Koopa: A Winter's Tale when it came out, but it wasn't as popular as it should've been. Maybe now, people will play that game.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:48 am 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
VinnyVideo wrote:
Midas Machine by Guinea, Chaoxys, and a whole bunch of other people

I don't usually include active works in progress on this list, but the culmination of the Community Fangame Project is already an extremely polished - and fun - game in its own right, and even at the first demo, it's longer than many of the most popular "good" games on MFGG. No Mario fangame has achieved the level of polish Midas Machine has in regards to graphics, music, or engine, and the gameplay includes top-notch level design, interesting boss fights, secret levels, and other things that make this an instant classic. There's even an intriguing story. And despite being made by a large team, Midas Machine is never afraid to take chances, and there's a very healthy dose of innovation and originality in the game design. Many MFGGers have said this game is higher-quality than quite a few official Mario games, and we can only wait and see what future updates give us!

If Guinea and I keep getting motivational boosts like this, you can be darn sure that it'll be finished, and it will be fun. With all the crazy stuff we have in store, what you saw in world one will be nothing.

Also, I must admit I'm glad to hear that you like the level design. Aside from the first level (Bloom Path), all the others were made by me and I wasn't too sure as to what I was doing. Hearing that the levels were enjoyed definitely lets me know I was going in the right direction and will be useful in future levels.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:05 pm 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Chaoxys: Great! Also, I thought the level design in Midas Machine was among the best I've seen in any fangame.

Aftermath by Yrr

Aftermath, the well-deserved winner of Minigame Competition #53, takes Mario fangaming in a dark but fresh and original new direction. Instead of a bright and bouncy Mushroom Kingdom setting where the biggest problems are a bunch of traitorous mushrooms and mildly belligerent turtles, Aftermath takes place in a post-apocalyptic wasteland! Mario and Toad must team up to find all the items needed to make their escape, an element which introduces a Metroidvania feel to the gameplay. Some players complained about the tiny window size, but the unique graphical style, along with the dark, atmospheric music, gives the game a unique, innovative feeling that fits perfectly with the theme of the game. It's not an incredibly long game, but you'll definitely need to use your head to get past some of the traps and puzzles.

A word of caution, however: For many players, including me, the game begins lagging horribly when the snow starts falling near the end of the game. I don't believe this problem has been fixed on the version on the MFGG main site, so if you have a slow PC, lookk for the latest version, or else be careful to play quickly when you reach that point in the game.

User page at mfgg.net

[gb]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:18 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

VinnyVideo wrote:
Chaoxys: Great! Also, I thought the level design in Midas Machine was among the best I've seen in any fangame.

Aftermath by Yrr

Aftermath, the well-deserved winner of Minigame Competition #53, takes Mario fangaming in a dark but fresh and original new direction. Instead of a bright and bouncy Mushroom Kingdom setting where the biggest problems are a bunch of traitorous mushrooms and mildly belligerent turtles, Aftermath takes place in a post-apocalyptic wasteland! Mario and Toad must team up to find all the items needed to make their escape, an element which introduces a Metroidvania feel to the gameplay. Some players complained about the tiny window size, but the unique graphical style, along with the dark, atmospheric music, gives the game a unique, innovative feeling that fits perfectly with the theme of the game. It's not an incredibly long game, but you'll definitely need to use your head to get past some of the traps and puzzles.

A word of caution, however: For many players, including me, the game begins lagging horribly when the snow starts falling near the end of the game. I don't believe this problem has been fixed on the version on the MFGG main site, so if you have a slow PC, lookk for the latest version, or else be careful to play quickly when you reach that point in the game.

Just gonna say that the version on gamejolt is less laggy and has a better window size, but the snow thing still lags (I've since found out why but I haven't updated it :S)
(here it is btw)

mfgg won't let me update it :V

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:21 pm 
Needs more Custom Title Request forum.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
alright, another one i have to try out because i haven't played it

User page at mfgg.net

[in]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:46 am 
i'd hit it
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Yrr wrote:
mfgg won't let me update it :V

why not

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:09 pm 
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Waligie DX by Shadowman, Hippoman, and Cutman

The Waligie series is only vaguely Mario-related, but it's so integral to the history of MFGG that no list of MFGG's greatest games would be complete without it. For the hopelessly uninformed, the Waligie games star a trio of brothers - Waligie, Wiligie, and Waluide - and feature horrible dialogue, ridiculously convulated plots, a plethora of glitches, intentionally bad levels, awful graphics taken straight from Google Images, and music that's usually completely off-the-wall. In fact, Waligie is a direct parody of poorly-made Mario fangames and bad indie games in general. And while this may not sound very fun, the Waligie games are frequently drop-dead hilarious. Seriously - few games I've ever played have made me laugh like hearing the Village People sing "In the Navy" at the most random time, or seeing St. Peter replaced with Snoop Dogg (OK, those are both from other Waligie games, but whatever). Frustrating and ridiculous, you wouldn't Waligie games to be any other way.

As usual, I'm only including the most well-known game in the series to avoid filling the list with sequels, but the Waligie series is now a full ten games long. I personally think TD's Physco Waligie is the only one that really captures the feel of the original game, but all of the Waligie games are well worth playing, if only so you'll know that vilent isn't the answer and that the ibox is map.

So much more could be written on this topic, of course, yet even this short summary made me post this much later than usual, so this will have to suffice.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:24 pm 
Great Time Champion
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
>VinnyVideo
>Waligie
I wasn't expecting that one. ;)

Image | Image | Image | Image
Profiles
Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:00 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
that description works

hurray for Waligie and all it's "AAA ARE YOU KIDDING ME" moments that we cherish so much

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:24 pm 
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Yes, VinnyVideo is a major-league Waligie fan.

Super Mario Fangame by kjellm87

Despite its less-than-original title, Super Mario Fangame is a very well-executed platformer from a really skilled game maker who you've probably never heard of - in fact, kjellm87 is the most obscure member to appear on the list thus far. Super Mario Fangame doesn't offer anything remotely revolutionary, but it's a very enjoyable game with good level design and some out-of-the-box boss battles. There's also a healthy dose of deliberately understated graphics, which are simple but also prevents the game from looking generic or stale (and by generic or stale, I do mean you, Hello). In fact, the developer made all the graphics by himself in Photoshop. The music is all MIDI, though it usually sounds pretty good. Even with the highly cliched storyline and the annoying kickback when you get hit by an enemy (a feature I'm personally not terribly fond of), this is definitely one of the nicest traditional platformers on MFGG.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:45 pm 
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

What is This Thing? - Episode 1 by DJ Yoshiman

What is This Thing is a game that places concept and atmosphere over actual gameplay. While it's certainly not a game that everyone will love with a passion, the surreal story and superb music, not to mention the abundance of connections with MFGG's past, make this a unique experience worth partaking of. WiTT opens with a strange cutscene, followed by an SMB3-style airship and a battle with a rather diabolical-looking King Koopa. Then things start getting zany, as you realize you're not playing a darker-than-usual Mario game - rather, it's an allegory of the history of MFGG's early days, starting with the Bowser Tech era. The gameplay is only a small part of the experience - in fact, it's almost more like watching a movie than playing a game. But just because it's not 15 hours long and wasn't rated as high as some of the other games on the list doesn't mean it's not something worth playing.

Also, just for those who are unaware, "#2" means Ctrl in the first boss. This question popped up a LOT when the game was first released.

EDIT: Missing period.

Last edited by VinnyVideo on Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:14 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
that's a better summary and description of the game than i could come up with

thanks, man

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:33 pm 
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Thingio Side A: Let's Go! Thingio! by Tech Wing

Are you feeling down? Do you feel like you need to drink a few of those Austrian energy drinks that helps Sebastian Vettel win every Formula One race? Thingio Side A is the perfect solution to both of those problems, although it has been linked to symptoms of ADHD in lab rats. Thingio is an exceedingly quirky collection of microgames, similar to a cross between Normal Super Mario Bros. and WarioWare. Most of the games are very short, and you'll rarely spend more than 30 seconds on a single screen before zipping off to another round of surreal, effervescent fangaming insanity. And did I mention the minigames are quirky? Whether they're spoofing The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, Sonic, Kirby, 16-bit RPGs, or something totally unrelated to video gaming, the action is frequently downright bizarre, but the developer never overlooks the importance of keeping the actual gameplay fresh and fun, even with all the zany spoofs and the goofy voice-acting.

And yes, this is another Tech Wing game. For the record, this is one of the first time I've included multiple games by the same author on the list.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:29 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
YES

another fine addition to this list. i remember playing that game and thinking to myself "i thought i downloaded a fangame, not Waligie," and then thinking "wait, this is some sort of stupid Waligie spin-off," and then thinking "holy crap this thing is actually amazing"

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:34 pm 
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Super Luigi and the Golden Shrooms by Hello

Yeah, I do feel just a bit guilty about this selection. When I first started working on this list, I thought long and hard whether to include a Hello game at all. Sure, he's submitted far more games than anyone on MFGG, and many of his games really are fun, but they pretty much all look and play the same, and Hello rarely bothers to change anything with his signature engine. However, I decided to put his biggest 2008 game on the list because it was well-made and relatively innovative. Super Luigi and the Golden Shrooms isn't another "beat all the levels and save Peach from Bowser" clone. Instead, it stars Luigi in a more Wario-ish plot, where the man in green endeavors to find 60 sacred mushrooms hidden throughout the Mushroom Kingdom to unlock untold riches. And instead of using an overworld map or a level select screen, all the rooms in the game are connected to one another, similar to Kirby & the Amazing Mirror. The game isn't perfect, and it is a Hello game in every sense of the word, but it is arguably the best game in the series.

And while this is definitely going to be the only Hello game on the list, there are some other good Hello games as well. SMB: Shine Expedition is a good collectathon game, and SMB: Bloody Battles was very good even though I don't usually like really violent games. And some of the platformers are OK as well - SMB: Restless Reality is a pretty impressive game to an uninitiated player who doesn't know that Hello's made pretty much the same thing literally dozens of times. For those who have played more than about two of his games, though, you'll realize that all too often they're soulless games that seldom offer anything remotely original - which is the opposite of what fangaming should be about.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:41 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
honestly, i don't mind having a Hello game, if it's just one - the unfortunate catastrophe of the engine being popular every where doesn't mean that one of the games is terrible, so good on you, Vinny!

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:09 pm 
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Super Hammer Bros. by Delmore

Super Hammer Bros. is one of the most polished minigames on MFGG, despite being from one of its most notorious members ever. Better yet, it gives you a chance to fulfill your lifelong fantasies of finally being able to control a genuine Hammer Brother! In this game, you control an ordinary Hammer Bro., armed with only an endless supply of hammers as you defend against an onslaught of familiar Mario enemies. The game begins with occasional Goombas, which are weak and easy to stomp or smash, but as time goes on the game introduces more frequent - and more dangerous - enemies. The online high scores feature is another nice addition. Despite the total lack of any plot whatsoever, the brilliant graphics, unique music, and simple, addictive gameplay make this minigame a perfect time-killer and an often-overlooked MFGG classic.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:44 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
another one i haven't played

this list is apparently good for figuring out what the hell you missed out on

User page at mfgg.net

[in]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:59 am 
i'd hit it
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
if no one else is doing it i'm going to download all these games, dump them into an archive and then make a collection like TD's time capsule

:3c

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 93 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked