Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 93 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked 
 [us]
 Post subject: Re: 30 Games on MFGG Worth Playing
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:40 pm 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Well said, TD. I would love to see SMS 2 finished someday, though I know it's really, really unlikely. And it would be great if someone would make an SMS-like game that captures the charm of the original, as well.

This list mostly excludes incomplete/canned games, although you might be able to come up with a couple of other demos that might end up appearing...

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:08 pm 
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Late Night Mario 2 by Glukom

Judged purely by reviews on the main site, Late Night Mario 2 is one of the lowest-rated games on this list. However, ratings can be deceiving, and if you come into this game with an open mind, you'll likely find it a truly unique and innovative experience. LNM 2 is not your typical Mario platformer. Mario wakes up late one night trying to find Luigi, when he finds a Kremit - one of the Kermit-like reptiles that appeared in the first Late Night Mario game - at his door, engaging in small talk before threatening to kill him! Mario then sets off on an unforgettable adventure as he sets out to find Luigi and save humanity (and Yoshi) from ultimate annihilation. While LNM 2 has often been criticized for various things (in particular, trying to be too dark and serious), its highly original graphics, well-executed music (including some composed by Glukom himself), and absurdly zany storyline, not to mention good level design and some unique bosses, make this well worth the 27-megabyte download.

The original Late Night Mario is also worth playing, although it's a very different game that feels more like Super Mario Melatonin in that it relies more on its story and concept rather than gameplay. We can only hope that Late Night Luigi ends up capturing the best of both of these Kremit-infested worlds...

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:21 pm 
Needs more Custom Title Request forum.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
oh man, i forgot to tell Glukom excellent work on his music pieces he created for the game

also i can't believe the amount of people that thought (or maybe still think) this game sucks

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:16 am 
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Koopa: A Winter's Tale by Tech Wing and Peardian

This is probably the most obscure fangame I've covered so far, but Koopa: A Winter's Tale is another innovative game that provides a one-of-a-kind experience. Plus, even if its Christmas theme feels out of place in July, it never hurts to look at something cold when the temperature is inching toward the century mark Fahrenheit! Probably the first thing that stands out with this game is the beautiful graphics, most of which were made from scratch. You'll also be amazed at the brilliant use of music (including some well-known holiday songs, as well as a certain song from a guy named Rick Astley if you look hard enough!) in this game. The soundtrack is mellow and soothing and fits perfectly with the winter worlds. The gameplay itself provides a unique experience - you guide a Koopa through a winter wonderland, searching for three items he needs from various stores. Along the way you'll unlock new shells that allow him to walk underwater and fly, which are both needed to reach new sections of the game. More unusual is the fact that there are no enemies whatsoever in this game (besides falling icicles, pits, and early in the game, water hazards), and whenever you're defeated, you restart from your previous point. While some have complained the game is too lenient, the game isn't always totally easy, and while it leaves you wanting more, it's also not super-short. Lastly, you might be interested to see what happens in the ending!

On an unrelated note, I realized I said I was going to play this game back in January 2010 but didn't until three days ago. Sometimes I do what I say I'll do.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:15 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
DJ Yoshiman wrote:
also i can't believe the amount of people that thought (or maybe still think) this game sucks
Vice versa for me.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:14 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
woah, i've never heard of this game, and it's done by Tech Wing? and graphics by Peardian?!

yeah instantly playing now

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:15 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Wiiboy4ever wrote:
DJ Yoshiman wrote:
Vice versa for me.

never change, wiiboy

also thanks yoshiman, looking back those songs i made for lnm2 were pretty simple but im still happy with how they came out

i'm making more than just a few for late night luigi probably (which is coming along slowly, but IS still being worked on i assure you)

[ca]
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:14 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
we're still supposed to collaborate

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:52 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Sorry for going off-topic, but:
Glukom wrote:
Wiiboy4ever wrote:
DJ Yoshiman wrote:
Vice versa for me.

never change, wiiboy
You wan't me to change my opinion because you think it's wrong?

Last edited by behind on Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:57 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Mason wrote:
Wiiboy4ever wrote:
You wan't me to change my opinion because you think it's wrong? lul

I'll just go ahead and say it was completely rude the way you worded your "opinion." Have your opinion, but I hope me pointing this out doesn't get me a wall of frustrated text from you with "lolz" at the end of every sentence.
Perhaps you're right. I apologize.

Anyway, never tried the kooper winter tale one. Looks cool, maybe I'll play it today.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:48 am 
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Toad Strikes Back by Thunder Dragon

I bet you're all shocked this made the list! On this particular day, no less, being MFGG's tenth birthday and all. Toad Strikes Back is universally considered one of the best, if not the very best, game on MFGG - in fact, one could argue that it's one of the finest examples of independently-produced games ever. TSB is a platform game featuring immense variety and level design rivaling many official Mario games, and its enormous size will keep you playing for hours just to get to the final boss. You'll devote countless more hours playing if you want to find all the goodies scattered throughout the game. TD's artistic mind comes up with some pretty zany ideas that are perfectly executed, from a flooded fortress to The House of the Angry Sun. The graphics are consistently appealing, and even though the music is MIDI format, it's high-quality and always fits with the level environments. TSB also doesn't overlook the little things, like hilarious (and well-written) dialogue with the Toad people and other non-playable characters, as well as mini-games and secrets. Let's face it: If you haven't played this game, you're missing something, and if you have played it, it's worth playing again.

And no, don't worry - I haven't forgotten the other feature I'm going to write.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:07 pm 
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Paper Bowser World by Toodles Team

One of the first Game Maker-made fangames to achieve major success, Paper Bowser World is an appealing concept that's executed splendidly. Toodles' 2006 classic is based on a short segment in a professional Mario title, and extends it into a full-length game with its own distinct personality. In this game, you control Bowser as he seeks to defeat Mario and take back the Princess and the Mushroom Kingdom, instead of the other way around! Smashing everything in sight and acting "Bowser-ish" is great fun, and the game's graphics and sound are as attractive as the game's theme and story. And with the addition of a hidden (Kyori-free) Minus World and an alternate mode where you play as Kammy Koopa instead of Bowser, you'll enjoy a very nice amount of replay value.

Again, I'm only including the original game to prevent redundancy, but Toodles' PBW sequel is also critically acclaimed, and we can only hope that Dazzle hasn't really canned his own "fan sequel" to the original PBW.

Yes, I know this is being posted later than usual. I've just been busy distracted with other stuff today. Tomorrow's game will be posted at its normal time.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:48 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
yeah, Paper Bowser World was a pleasant surprise to fangaming - i expected just Paper Mario with Bowser, but the dialogue and the gameplay actually gave more

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:53 pm 
Great Time Champion
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Aw yeah, Paper Bowser World. I remember playing that a few years ago.

...It would have been nice if Toodles had finished Paper Bowser World: Back in Action. :(

Image | Image | Image | Image
Profiles
Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:26 pm 
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Yoshi vs. Windows by Supertoad2k

OK, I'll admit to being a little biased this time. Yoshi vs. Windows, besides Edweirdo's incarnation of Super Mario Adventure, is pretty much the first fangame I ever played - and one of the first fangames that really impressed me. Writing this on the fourth anniversary of the day I was introduced to Mario fangaming, I can't help but feel a ton of nostalgia for this particular title.

Anyway, Yoshi vs. Windows stars Yoshi as he fights to prevent Bill Gates and Microsoft from obtaining world power! One of the most original games even for the early era of MFGG - and one of the better-made - Yoshi vs. Windows features levels based around Microsoft themes, from the Blue Screen of Death to MS-DOS to Internet Explorer. Most levels require Yoshi to lap up all the enemies using his tongue, which will remove the [?] Blocks blocking the level exit. This game is not glitch-free by any means, but the crazy themes, the unique graphics, and the ironically zany dialogue make this a must-play for anyone who's ever had to put up with the joy of Windows-based operating systems. Some of these glitches are fixed in the Platinum version of the game Nite made, and while Platinum is probably the superior game, my heart will always belong to the original 2001 version made by Supertoad2k.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:45 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
aww yeah! this game owns

also coincidentally it makes a cameo appearance in Episode 2

User page at mfgg.net

[fi]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:16 pm 
I shine.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
One of my favorite fangames.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:27 pm 
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Midas Machine by Guinea, Chaoxys, and a whole bunch of other people

I don't usually include active works in progress on this list, but the culmination of the Community Fangame Project is already an extremely polished - and fun - game in its own right, and even at the first demo, it's longer than many of the most popular "good" games on MFGG. No Mario fangame has achieved the level of polish Midas Machine has in regards to graphics, music, or engine, and the gameplay includes top-notch level design, interesting boss fights, secret levels, and other things that make this an instant classic. There's even an intriguing story. And despite being made by a large team, Midas Machine is never afraid to take chances, and there's a very healthy dose of innovation and originality in the game design. Many MFGGers have said this game is higher-quality than quite a few official Mario games, and we can only wait and see what future updates give us!

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:38 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
i was so surprised that it got off the ground and is at the level it is today - i enjoyed playing it very much, and hope it continues to being finished!

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:28 pm 
Great Time Champion
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
DJ Yoshiman wrote:
i was so surprised that it got off the ground and is at the level it is today - i enjoyed playing it very much, and hope it continues to being finished!

Well, I guess this proves it. DJ Yoshiman is actually Fawful.

...Anyway, on topic: Midas Machine was a fangame I enjoyed far more than I should have, having played through the demo several times. I, also, hope to see this project finished.

Image | Image | Image | Image
Profiles
Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 93 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked