[ 6 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked 
May 2011 Game of the Month, So You Think You Can Play Tetris?
 [us]
 Post subject: May 2011 Game of the Month
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:53 pm 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

So You Think You Can Play Tetris? by Char

So You Think You Can Play Tetris (a.k.a. Kuribotris) was Char's entry for one of the 24-hour Minigame Competitions held about a month ago. Char takes the oft-cloned Tetris formula but adds a truly original twist to it: You can't rotate the pieces! While all the familiar "tetrads" make an appearance in this game, you'll have to be quite careful to avoid leaving the playing field a colossal mess, considering you can't manipulate the blocks by means of rotation. The only way to clear lines is by waiting for a giant Kuribo's Shoe (hence fitting with the MGC theme, which required games to feature the Goomba's boot of SMB 3 fame) to drop from the top of the screen, crushing the blocks and causing them to form lines. The game gets even more tricky once the difficult-to-clear metal blocks begin appearing, mixed in with the regular pieces.

While the game is only faintly Mario-related, Char does a good job of incorporating some Mario themes, including Kuribo's Shoe and the New Super Mario Bros. DS graphics. And while there are a few graphical clashings and shortcomings (including a less-than-thrilling HUD), it's still quite impressive for something made in a 24-hour window. All in all, it's a game with solid replayability for both hardcore and casual players, including those primarily interested in indie development.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
 Post subject: Re: May 2011 Game of the Month
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:13 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
....I'm confused. How did this like, magically become game of the month? Was there a voting or something that I missed?

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:40 am 
Real horses don't run into trees
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
....I'm confused. How did this like, magically become game of the month? Was there a voting or something that I missed?

There is the tone again (and yes, written text can have a tone as well).

And to answer your quesion: Game Of The Month is hand-picked, and there is no public voting involved, so you didn't miss anything.
If you want to play the game with the best rating, there are always minigame competitions and the review scores on the main site, so I think it's a good contrast to have a handpicked game show up once a month too.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:01 am 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I've been the one doing these for over a year now because I was the one who volunteered to start writing them when no one else was interested. This game won one of the MGCs this month and was probably the most-polished game to appear on MFGG in May. That's not to say I'm not open to exploring different ways of determing GOTM winners, however.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:16 am 
Real horses don't run into trees
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
VinnyVideo wrote:
I've been the one doing these for over a year now because I was the one who volunteered to start writing them when no one else was interested. This game won one of the MGCs this month and was probably the most-polished game to appear on MFGG in May. That's not to say I'm not open to exploring different ways of determing GOTM winners, however.

As said, I think it can't hurt to have a hand-picked game here, as there are already a lot of awards that depend on public votes/reviews/scores. The GotM gives games a chance to shine that are not popular (although, this game is probably a bad example, since it already won the MGC).

User page at mfgg.net

[in]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:41 pm 
i'd hit it
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
this is like.. an achievement for me :3

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
 [ 6 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked