[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Back in the early days of MFGG, Clickteam products were the norm. Due to the painful process of importing graphics into these products, graphics were typically uploaded as sprite libraries most often. Now that Clickteam products are no longer the norm, many do not have access to the products needed to open these files. Thus, a lot of early graphics resources are no longer accessible to most MFGG members.

Introducing Project Ex-Lib, a work in progress process of converting all sprite libraries as-is into sprite sheets to make these files accessible to everyone while we maintain as complete an archive of these resources as possible and celebrate MFGG's history in the process.

Here are some examples using the two oldest sprite libraries on MFGG (both have been submitted to the main site):

Thunder Dragon's Mario 64 Sprite Pack
Original: https://mfgg.net/index.php?act=resdb&param=02&c=1&id=18
Spoiler:

SuperNESFreak's and Thunder Dragon's Mario Kart Super Circuit Sprite Lib
Original: https://mfgg.net/index.php?act=resdb&param=02&c=1&id=20
Spoiler:

The process is kind of a pain as the best results come from copying and pasting from Clickteam's graphic editor into paint, so any help with converting these sprite libraries is appreciated! To participate, you'll need a Clickteam product to access the files. You'll also need to remember that we are converting these completely as-is. No modifications or corrections. In addition, any Project Ex-Lib submissions should have tags/descriptions similar to those included in the above sheets as well as putting "EX-LIB" and the original submitters in the title. For example: "EX-Lib: Thunder Dragon's Mario 64 Sprite Pack"

With your help we can maintain our massive, historical archive of resources while ensuring they are accessible to everyone! Please feel free to share your progress and finished conversions below!

Make sure you let people know that you are working on a library so that we don't do duplicate work.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
 Post subject: Re: Project Ex-Lib
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:05 am 
I'll be your 1-Up boy.
Social Media Manager
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I'm claiming supertoad2k's Mario's Time Machine/Mario is Missing Library.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:43 am 
Always have Jason Voorhees in your sig
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Wow we sure had some low quality standards back in the day haha. I remember those 3D models-turned-sprites being really impressive in 2006.

There was a guy on ZFGN, I think is username was Armogohma? He would do rips from Ocarina of Time like that.

I feel like somebody did the same on M:FM for Smash 64 Samus, but I can't check :'(

Image Image
Bibby Team | MFGG3 Github

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:38 pm 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
This is a super cool project!

User page at mfgg.net

[ie]
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:24 am 
thanks, neweegee!
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
https://www.mfgg.net/index.php?act=resdb&param=02&c=1&id=1639
i'm claiming this four-directional TLOZ four swords mario.
this is actually too good to be wasted.
EDIT: it's in the submission queue now!

my youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7Pu2NplrfCUbTxE_zyHITQ

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:27 pm 
I'll be your 1-Up boy.
Social Media Manager
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Please feel free to submit requests here! Speaking of, requested by Diantha: https://mfgg.net/index.php?act=resdb&pa ... 1&id=10064

User page at mfgg.net

[tt]
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:28 am 
:D
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
I want to jump on to this.
This needs to be a bigger thread too!
Have you considered moving it to Suggestions or General Chat?
Maybe I should make a big Master List of sorts. I'm actually getting similar shades to when I helped find missing files back in 2004 or something.
Here's the list of libs btw, 9 pages!
https://www.mfgg.net/index.php?act=resd ... filter=1.3

Fun fact: Some of the libs have the name Daniel Absolom... that's Kritter! Should the name be reflected?

Maybe I should make a big Master List of sorts. I'm actually getting similar shades to when I helped find missing files back in 2004 or something.
Here's how it could look, I could make it a google docs page with tables.
  • Image Mario Kart Super Circuit Lib CLAIMED!!
  • Image Classic Mario Libs CONVERTED!

[au]
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:43 am 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Good luck doing my Megalibs! I feel like that may be pointless in a way because most, if not all, of those sprites probably already exist now as sprite sheets.

Available for ANDROID and IOS

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:33 pm 
Great Time Champion
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I technically did Ninja's Paper Mario ages ago. Maybe not complete. I'll have to double check.

Image | Image | Image | Image
Profiles
Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:39 pm 
I'll be your 1-Up boy.
Social Media Manager
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Parakarry wrote:
I want to jump on to this.
This needs to be a bigger thread too!
Have you considered moving it to Suggestions or General Chat?
Here's the list of libs btw, 9 pages!
https://www.mfgg.net/index.php?act=resd ... filter=1.3

Fun fact: Some of the libs have the name Daniel Absolom... that's Kritter! Should the name be reflected?

Here's how it could look, I could make it a google docs page with tables.
  • Image Mario Kart Super Circuit Lib CLAIMED!!
  • Image Classic Mario Libs CONVERTED!

This is a good idea. As for username's, it should probably match what's on the Sprite Lib. However, if you'd like to ask Kritter which he'd prefer, that's fine too.

As for moving it to another forum, unless I posted here on accident for some reason it was moved out of Developer Discussion into the Arts Board... which is strange because none of this is our artwork... we are simply converting stuff from libraries to sheets.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:10 pm 
I'll be your 1-Up boy.
Social Media Manager
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
https://www.mfgg.net/index.php?act=resd ... 1&id=33950

The toxicity of the main site comments? Yeah, I'm no longer interested in this project. Everyone keeps telling me the main site is an alternate reality version of the community and not to take it too hard... but to be honest, it's a real shame it isn't moderated with similar standards to the forum.

Those of you who complain that some graphics are Clickteam only? It's a lot of extra work to convert them into sprite sheets and, as you can see, it's a thankless endeavor. Sorry, but you guys are on your own for a while.

It's a shame to see so little respect for MFGG's history.

User page at mfgg.net

[tr]
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:45 pm 
Thanks DonnieTheGuy!
Administrator
[A]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
because it's "toxic" and "disrespectful to the history of MFGG" to point out that this is the submission doesn't follow one of the submission rules. like, you could literally just post them to the forums

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:50 pm 
I'll be your 1-Up boy.
Social Media Manager
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
1. I'm not just referring to your comment.

2. The submission was accepted, so whether you agree with its status as an acceptable upload is between you and the Site Staff, serving absolutely no purpose in the submission comments other than to add more kindling to the fire. If you have issue with its acceptance onto the main site, take it up with the Site Staff using the report button.

The last thing I need right now is more notifications that a new comment was made when I check the main site to tell me that my time was wasted.

3. Nah, why should I continue to waste my time? If you want to rip the graphics from the Clickteam Libraries and shove them in a thread on the forum, then by all means please be my guest.

User page at mfgg.net

[tr]
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:23 pm 
Thanks DonnieTheGuy!
Administrator
[A]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
1. Besides mine I can only see 2 comments you could refer to, and the first comment is far from toxic. It just says "very low quality" and was probably posted by someone pretty young or someone who overlooked the description. And it's technically true, despite it not being your fault. The second one is on the harsh side, but it makes sense. If it's bad it shouldn't be on the site even if it's a converted version of an old lib. There's nothing toxic about this.

2. So you're saying that I shouldn't criticize it publicly because staff already accepted it? It had been done several times before though and everyone seemed to be okay with that. I highly doubt that the site staff would take my report seriously anyways.

3. Okay dude. I just said that because it's the best place to post them, not because I'm really interested in wasting your time.

You should learn how to take negative comments/criticism. Calling them "toxic" and "not respectful" or playing the victim is not how you do it.

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:35 pm 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
honestly it really sucks how the project is generally being received and it sucks even more that ped is getting the blunt of it.

there's a time and a place for criticism and i don't think this project is really it, at least not in the traditional sense. regardless of if the sheets are "useful" or not they're really old sheets that have a good amount of history to them so it's more for preservation and novelty than for active use in newer fangames.

obviously the "skill floor" for submissions has gotten way higher over the years but if it's obvious this is an older sheet, then go into it with that in mind and don't be so smarmy about it.

[tt]
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:36 pm 
:D
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
It's more of a conversion than new sheets. I hope people get that...

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:39 pm 
Great Time Champion
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I think it's probably alright to do this as long as you don't ask for credit for somebody else's sprites. If they see it and want it taken down, then that's very much a different story.

Image | Image | Image | Image
Profiles
Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:49 pm 
I'll be your 1-Up boy.
Social Media Manager
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Mors wrote:
1. Besides mine I can only see 2 comments you could refer to, and the first comment is far from toxic. It just says "very low quality" and was probably posted by someone pretty young or someone who overlooked the description. And it's technically true, despite it not being your fault. The second one is on the harsh side, but it makes sense. If it's bad it shouldn't be on the site even if it's a converted version of an old lib. There's nothing toxic about this.

2. So you're saying that I shouldn't criticize it publicly because staff already accepted it? It had been done several times before though and everyone seemed to be okay with that. I highly doubt that the site staff would take my report seriously anyways.

3. Okay dude. I just said that because it's the best place to post them, not because I'm really interested in wasting your time.

1. "it's harsh"

"there's nothing toxic about this"

You might wanna make up your mind. before you try to refute what I'm saying, please.

2. Telling me you don't think the submission belongs on site serves absolutely no purpose, man. Whether staff agrees with you or not, you would accomplish more by submitting a report to them than just adding more fuel to the fire in that comment section.

3. It's really not the best place to post them. People have been asking for sprite sheet versions of the Libs for years and thread visibility on the forum doesn't really work for that purpose.
Quote:
You should learn how to take negative comments/criticism. Calling them "toxic" and "not respectful" or playing the victim is not how you do it.

Here's the thing:

The negative comments and criticism have nothing to do with me. I cannot change someone else's graphics submissions. I am only converting them AS IS to sprite sheets from Clickteam libraries. Getting on my case about how low quality the graphics are serves literally no purpose.

Pretty rude of you to suggest I'm playing the victim, by the way.
Quote:
It's more of a conversion than new sheets. I hope people get that...

They don't seem to be, I keep reminding them and someone even says they don't care it's not my sheet and not to make excuses.

User page at mfgg.net

[tr]
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:58 am 
Thanks DonnieTheGuy!
Administrator
[A]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Mit wrote:
regardless of if the sheets are "useful" or not they're really old sheets that have a good amount of history to them so it's more for preservation and novelty than for active use in newer fangames.
yeah but here's the thing, mfgg main site isn't an archive. people go there to get stuff needed for their projects. that's how i used it back then. but a bad sprite sheet fro 2003 has little to no use today

Pedigree wrote:
1. "it's harsh"

"there's nothing toxic about this"

You might wanna make up your mind. before you try to refute what I'm saying, please.
what is so toxic about being a bit harsh while criticizing something? the post still has a point, it's not blind hate or bait.

Pedigree wrote:
2. Telling me you don't think the submission belongs on site serves absolutely no purpose, man. Whether staff agrees with you or not, you would accomplish more by submitting a report to them than just adding more fuel to the fire in that comment section.
how can i add "more fuel to the fire" when there isn't even any fire? and keep in mind that it was a public comment, it wasn't a pm or anything. i just posted my opinion about the sheet and that's what most people do in comment sections.

Pedigree wrote:
3. It's really not the best place to post them. People have been asking for sprite sheet versions of the Libs for years and thread visibility on the forum doesn't really work for that purpose.
you can simply post the forum thread link to comments of the original sheet. if that's still not enough for you then there isn't any good place to post them then.

Pedigree wrote:
Here's the thing:

The negative comments and criticism have nothing to do with me. I cannot change someone else's graphics submissions. I am only converting them AS IS to sprite sheets from Clickteam libraries. Getting on my case about how low quality the graphics are serves literally no purpose.
only the first person was criticizing the sheet itself, and as i said it's nothing worth being upset about. the other one and mine were criticizing the fact a bad 14 years old sprite sheet was uploaded

Pedigree wrote:
Pretty rude of you to suggest I'm playing the victim, by the way.
you're literally acting like you were being harassed in the comments section while that clearly wasn't the case, and you were making this whole thing way more dramatic than it should have been.

[ca]
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:24 pm 
WHAT HAPPENED TO MY BOOBERRY!?
[*]
In my opinion, even for the sake of honouring the history of MFGG, the Mario 64 ex-lib has no place on the main site. It serves absolutely no use to anybody nowadays, with the possible exception of joke games. If you really wanna make these ex-libs to for the sake of history, it'd probably be a much better idea to make ex-libs of libs that could actually prove to be at least somewhat usable nowadays.
Also, please take this criticism better. Just dismissing it as "toxic" isn't going to get you anywhere. Even if you didn't make the sprites, it was still your choice to upload them.

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 26 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic