[ 12 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 
 [zz]
 Post subject: How did you guys come up with your art style?
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:11 pm 
Dairy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

How did you find yours? I wanna come up with one, but there's so many damn ones already, it's impossible for me to pick one up! Realistic, anime-ish, cartoon-ish... the list goes on and on and I'm really dubious about which one to use. What way did you come up with yours?

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
 Post subject: Re: How did you guys come up with your art style?
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:15 pm 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Nulldrifters has this cel-shaded look to it because it was easiest for me to create it. Plus, most futuristic racers are rather realistic and gritty so I thought it helped give the game a unique look going for a rather cartoonish artstyle. Plus, Game Maker isn't really well-suited for 3D which basically meant anything that attempted to be realistic would've looked really poor. In fact, the game also isn't really cel-shaded, as all the shading was handpainted to the textures.

As for Cliax Codec, given the character art is anime-styled, that meant the game itself had to feature a similar artstyle. I didn't really know what to do, so I told my artist to try to replicate Hyperdimension Neptunia, as it was a 3-dimensional game featuring anime-styled characters, while even featuring a sci-fi aesthetic. The end result was an artstyle that is both partially realistic and cartoonish. The textures are mostly realistic, while also not featuring any stylized patterns, while the cartoonish aspects are highlighted via subtle outlines drawn directly in the textures themselves. A lot of ambient occlusion and shading also was directly drawn to the textures which I think also helps bring out the cartoon aesthetic a bit more.

I'm not sure whether any of that information is useful to you, but in general I'd just say: If you don't really have a clear vision of what your game should look like, go for what you think would look best while also being the easiest and most efficient to create.

Cliax Codec is a combination of top-down and third-person shooter. The gameplay will blend platforming, puzzle and shmup elements together to create a unique gameplay experience. You will take control of four playable characters which rise against a team that seemingly wants to take over the world - but are their motives really that cliché, or are there deeper motives behind their actions?

Currently designing Chapter 1-6, 5%

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:21 pm 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
i can tell you right now that you don't necessarily "find" a personal art style.

you develop your own style based off of your influences. you find things that interest you, start trying to see how they work, and it'll subtly effect the way you draw. over time it'll develop further and further to the point where you'll have your own recognizable art style.

[us]
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:11 pm 
Wafer-thin Animator
[*]
[*]
[*]
For my style (if I'm allowed to use that word), I actually brought it into existence eleven or twelve years ago. It's not the most glamorous way, but it was formed by my lack of skills with Adobe Illustrator. I initially didn't get the hang of creating curved lines with the pen tool, so my drawings looked rather polygonal. After learning new techniques, though, I considered it obsolete.

Now, what actually brought it back involved circumstances that I'd rather not discuss here, but I was rather frantic to the point were I would try anything. My old art "style" was buzzing around in my head during that moment, so after modernizing it a bit, I presented it with surprising results. Even thought it's no excuse to neglect development of my other artistic skills, a large part of me is looking for ways to incorporate the angular "style" elsewhere.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:46 pm 
Your local psychic.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

So when I was a wee little lad back in elementary school I liked to draw but unfortunately lacked the skills to draw. But because I was a stupid little kid I didn't know I couldn't draw.

Well in middle school I sure loved the hell out of that anime thing what was comin' on the telemavision sets of yesteryear and said to myself "I WANNA DRAW LIKE THAT" so I started trying to draw like that, failing horribly, but y'know, life goes on

Then sometime in high school I said, "Wait, I don't want to draw like that anymore, then everything's just gonna look the same" so I started trying to come up with my own unique style and have been experimenting with that ever since.

Falcon Punch is the result of the Sun heating fists. It drives the Blue Falcon. Heating causes destruction of water into the pain, where it then hurts, creating rain. Rain creates flowing water in tears, which can then be converted into other forms through more pain.

scaled image
Mario's Sticker Stage - Finished adding Jump Stickers!, 26%

User page at mfgg.net

[ie]
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:34 am 
thanks, neweegee!
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Noone really comes up with a style. They have a way of making sprites that feels right for them. I suggest you try spriting different Nintendo characters in different ways. Try it!

my youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7Pu2NplrfCUbTxE_zyHITQ

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:28 pm 
Just a person.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I'd recommend starting with a style that's realistic but simple. Something sort of like the old He-Man cartoon; the shapes and anatomy are relatively accurate, but the actual details are heavily stylized.

But hey, who knows. I started out drawing like this:
Spoiler:

And now I draw like this:
Spoiler:

Just goes to show you that what style you start with means bugger all in the long run.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:41 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I'm not sure what to say about that second one.

I think old SNES era manual art was a big contributing factor to mine.

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:46 pm 
I hate yellow balls of consumption.
[S]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
I've got a big fat binder of all the custom Mega Man robot masters I've made from...I want to say 2007 all the way to 2012? Either way, it's a collection of roughly 168 masters I designed when I was a young'un. Granted, many of them were very lacking, copies of existing masters, or...shall we say, not well-drawn, but the sheer amount of them I've made says something about my creative drive. Maybe.

So yeah, Mega Man was always a big inspiration, but I've also taken influences from other 80s "mascot" games, various cartoons, and even a handful of artists I follow on Twitter.

Needless to say, my style's really just a hodgepodge of many different styles.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:04 pm 
Just a person.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Kirby's Adventure wrote:
I'm not sure what to say about that second one.
It's the mouth, isn't it? Looking back on it, I seem to have for some reason made the mouth longer than the snout itself, which...yeah, it's obvious why that doesn't work very well, I guess. Probably should have tried to simplify the fur details on the ears a bit more, too.

...In retrospect, that probably wasn't the best picture to use as an example. Oh well, the point still stands. Styles change.

User page at mfgg.net

[de]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:49 am 
The Hirsen
Quote:
How did you find yours?

There are a lot of factors, which allowed me to find my graphic styles. For the character, I use an Anime style (as I'm a sucker for anime styled characters), which I kinda teached myself with the help of regular Anime drawing books, which show you how to draw the stuff. As for my indiegame styles, I don't really know how I find them exactly. I just draw one thing and make it look as good as possible and then base everthing around it (giving characters and backgrounds/tilesets their own styles). Just try something out, is how I do most stuff.

No matter, if you draw something with pixels or with a pen, your work will be always not so good in the beginning, but that's how I started. Over the time, you will improve.

This is one of my first pictures I ever have drawn... this is how I was, when I started (you can clearly see that):
http://img10.deviantart.net/901a/i/2015 ... 2a2d8s.png

And this is what I can draw now:
http://orig01.deviantart.net/1251/f/201 ... b7ug5x.png

Here is a little sprite timeline from good old 2010... back then, I still had no idea about pillowshading and the other funny things, which is a little noticeable. Also, the colors suck, due to the fact that I had a very dark screen back then:

First, I tried to copy the graphic styles from other game, I liked. Later, I found my own style somehow. I just think, it comes with the time and feedback you get.

ImageImageImageImageImage

[ca]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:13 am 
Silly guy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
ImageImage
I started off with these on instagram
ImageImage
Now a couple months later I'm drawing like these!!

It's all about dedication to art, training yourself at it everyday and going from there. It takes awhile to develop a consistent style, but for me this is what I did: draw everyday. look at references, see art. I read comics not manga as I prefer them and I've learned probably just as much from observing as I did from doing!!

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
 [ 12 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic