[ 15 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 
 [ca]
 Post subject: Custom NES and Famicom Sprites
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:34 pm 
[*]
So apparently I do sprites again
Actually, the NES sprite was supposed to be for something related to Toy Pop, but I guess that turned into it's own sheet because why not.
And the reason why it was supposed to be for a Toy Pop-related thing was because the NES was marketed as a toy...and the name of the game is Toy Pop, as well as the game being released in 1986. So it was justified.
So tell me if I have improved or not. :confused:

Attachments:
nessheet.png
nessheet.png [ 2.2 KiB | Viewed 677 times ]

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
 Post subject: Re: Custom NES and Famicom Sprites
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:17 am 
следующая игра скоро будет
Dairy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
You can barely tell what they are. They just look like clumps of pixels, especially the Famicom (?) one. I'm not even sure what the rightmost two are supposed to be, cables maybe?

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:28 am 
[*]
Vimimin wrote:
You can barely tell what they are. They just look like clumps of pixels, especially the Famicom (?) one. I'm not even sure what the rightmost two are supposed to be, cables maybe?

But then they won't tile up well if I made them any larger. I could do better, but that's the 16x16 limit for you.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:32 am 
следующая игра скоро будет
Dairy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
I'd argue legibility is far more important than some superficial size limit. If you can't tell what they are, there's no point in the sprites existing as they currently are.

User page at mfgg.net

[br]
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:07 pm 
Not a bird
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Why don't you try 24x24 or 32x32 instead?

Spoiler:

[ca]
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:00 pm 
[*]
SuperArthurBros wrote:
Why don't you try 24x24 or 32x32 instead?

Because most tiles are 16x16. And because this was originally for Super Mario Remaker, which uses 16x16.
And even if I did do 32x32, it would probably look just as bad, if not worse than 16x16.
But I tried anyway.
Tell me what you think of the 32x32 version. Likely horrible.

Attachments:
32x32.png
32x32.png [ 2.1 KiB | Viewed 641 times ]

User page at mfgg.net

[br]
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:21 pm 
Not a bird
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
It looks a lot more recognizable.

Spoiler:

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:23 pm 
hi hello
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

What are these supposed to be? Are they sprites of different gaming consoles? If so, you might want to make them more readable. Maybe simplify them and include only what's necessary to make it look like the console it's supposed to look like. Cramming too much into a small space gets confusing. It could also just be that I'm not familiar enough with these particular gaming consoles.

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:38 pm 
[*]
Evil Yoshi Toes wrote:
What are these supposed to be? Are they sprites of different gaming consoles? If so, you might want to make them more readable. Maybe simplify them and include only what's necessary to make it look like the console it's supposed to look like. Cramming too much into a small space gets confusing. It could also just be that I'm not familiar enough with these particular gaming consoles.

Attachments:
32x32.png
32x32.png [ 2.1 KiB | Viewed 633 times ]

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:55 am 
[*]
Your art is very resolution-confused. On one hand it's upscaled and has a few smooth edges, on the other half of it's still rectangular and unpolished. The shading is very, VERY hard to notice. Grow a pair with those colors, man! Darken that **** all the way and just take risks with your palette. Test around. Switch some colors around, darken the shaded areas, brighten the light ones, apply hue shifts and see where that gets you. Hell, try giving the shaded regions a tint of desaturated blue. Blue works wonders when it comes to communicating shade.

Found this on google images. Pay attention to the way edges are highlighted and the shade is communicated. Look at the way the low resolution text is actually kinda "gradiently" shaded in instead of being sharply defined. Learn through looking at other people's pixel art and try matching it.

Last edited by Physix on Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[ca]
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:01 pm 
[*]
Physix wrote:
Your art is very resolution-confused. On one hand it's upscaled and has a few smooth edges, on the other half of it's still rectangular and unpolished. The shading is very, VERY hard to notice. Grow a pair with those colors, man! Darken that **** all the way and just take risks with your palette. Test around. Switch some colors around, darken the shaded areas, brighten the light ones, apply hue shifts and see where that gets you. Hell, try giving the shaded regions a tint of desaturated blue. Blue works wonders when it comes to communicating shade.

Look at this. Pay attention to the way edges are highlighted and the shade is communicated. Look at the way the low resolution text is actually kinda "gradiently" shaded in instead of being sharply defined. Learn through looking at other people's pixel art and try matching it.

Unless you use a style. That's why it's so bad. Because that's the style of this sheet. At least it'll fit into Game Maker as a strip.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:49 pm 
[*]
[*]
Don't try to constrain yourself so early on as an artist.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:47 pm 
[*]
If the style is bad, why would you want to draw that way? In the NES sprite, I can see a lot of mixed pixel sizes. Some pixels are 2x2, some are 1x1. If you're working with a 32x32 sprite, you should take advantage of your resolution and add as many details as possible without cluttering your sprite.

Here, I took into account some of Physix's advice. The darkest shades are a very desaturated navy and the brighest shades are a light cyan. Pure gray is never used here as it's a very dead-looking color in pixel art.

I really recommend you listen to what Physix has to say. He seems to know a lot more about spriting than a lot of us here.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:42 am 
[*]
MegaCDFan235 wrote:
Unless you use a style. That's why it's so bad. Because that's the style of this sheet. At least it'll fit into Game Maker as a strip.

Don't flatter yourself too much! By the looks of your art, and don't take this the wrong way, you're still a rookie. I don't believe you've studied, or even seen, the vast array of different styles and techniques that can be employed in creating pixel art.
Spoiler:

THESE are styles. Go to Pixeljoint and you'll see just how many there are. Each one conveys its own series of emotions through color, lighting, and brush style. I don't want to offend you in any way, because I understand how brittle people can be when they're starting out. Thing is, I want you to keep drawing. And I know you want to draw as well, seeing as to how you've come to this site to show off your artwork. That's a wonderful thing. All I want to do is to give you guidance so that you start out on the right foot. Don't think in two dimensions, and don't think in basic, dull colors. Don't restrict yourself in ANY way. The canvas is entirely yours to control.

As a side note, I went through my photobucket to dig up a few old sprites that I made 6 or so years ago.

Spoiler:

It's very humbling, to say the least. You're not far behind. Trust me, we've all started out with no ****ing clue as to what we were doing LOL. That's not a bad thing; it just means there's room for improvement. Here's a tip I wish I knew of back when I was first starting out: Manage your color palette, and try lowering color counts wherever possible. Keep the palette organized, and be sure to keep it drawn within your work for reference/color picking. Through this very simple tip, you WILL improve. Very quickly. It'll make you use every color to its fullest extent, and you will quickly come to appreciate the power a single color can have over a picture.

Just whipped this up for you. See what is possible with only 7 colors.

Also, did you notice a few changes on the very last frame? Three major changes. First, the bottom right. I switched the two colors around so that it looks as if the ground is reflecting light up to the bottom side. Keep ambient lighting in mind! Second, I changed the palette. One of the orange colors I turned to gray and put it directly between the yellow/blue shades. This allowed for more anti-aliasing and, well, the gray did just as well a job at anti-aliasing the red text as the oversaturated orange. Third, I randomly decided to add backlighting. It changed the tone of the picture completely. These changes weren't planned; they were spontaneous because I was willing to tinker with the image. Now, go back to your custom NES sprite and see what you can do. There's a lot to be done!

Last edited by Physix on Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:45 am 
hi hello
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

MegaCDFan235 wrote:
Evil Yoshi Toes wrote:

Yeah, but I shouldn't have to see the text in order to tell what they are. I doubt you're planning on having the text explaining the sprite float above it wherever it's going to be used. They just don't read as game consoles as they are. Just use the advice the above posters have given you and I'm sure it will improve. :)

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
 [ 15 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic