[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Spoiler:

Welp, that's the inked and color filled version. I'll do shading as soon as I get the little enemy guy inked, which will be within the next couple days if all goes well and I can stay on track.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
 Post subject: Re: Midas Machine Character Art Development
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:49 am 
Wafer-thin Animator
[*]
[*]
[*]
I'll admit that you did change a few things around, but a few things still look off if you're going for something like the Mario & Luigi version of Luigi. The torso is just a bit too tall, while the head is still a tad narrow and there's too much forehead showing. Still, judging by how it seems like the hat is lifting up due to how scared he is, I'd say draw less exposed forehead and a little more hair. Also, now that I look at it, Luigi with such a big mustache looks just a little odd. Unless you're exaggerating it for that specific expression, making it smaller would help.

By the way, I noticed that the leg with the weight on it is unnaturally straight. Going by what I learned from Full Sail, this is basically "locking out the rig" and a smarter idea is to include a subtle bend in the leg (even though Mit's reference has some pretty straight legs). Also, I'm wondering if you could push the line of action a little bit more to the right to create a more apparent curve. Then again, it could be fine as it is (especially if you're not intending for Luigi to lose is balance).

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:24 pm 
This old dog still knows a few tricks
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
The hat is fine where it is, I even moved the edge of it down considerably from where it was in the sketch. The expressions is referenced from Luigi's Mansion, where Luigi's head tends to extend quite a bit when he's frightened. I just didn't make the mouth as large since he's supposed to be unnerved and scared rather than purely terrified. Second, I am trying to differentiate from the proportions of the M&L style a little bit. My first Luigi was referenced almost purely from the Mario and Luigi style, while in this image, I tried to land somewhere between my first drawing and Mit's drawing, and I certainly succeeded here. Luigi's mustache is also exaggerated along the same lines as his bodily proportions.

Yes, but I'm fairly sure that Full Sail didn't exactly go in depth into cartoons and dynamic and gestural poses. Luigi is meant to be on balance, and I'm still aiming for a cartoony, simplified style, so him fully extending his leg to pull away from the Spear Goom without losing his balance would mean that his leg would be fully or mostly extended. In this simplified style, there's no point in adding a two or three degree bend to his leg just for the sake of realism.

I'll admit that this final image isn't exactly what I had imagined for the pose, as my imagined idea had a greater line of action that was indeed more curved, but I also think that this iteration works well enough. Besides that, these are things you should have brought up in the SKETCH stage three or four days ago. It's inked and colored. Unless the changes are very subtle or nuanced, or the drawing is so cataclysmically awful it needs to be redone from the ground up, they're not happening, and you missed your chance.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:39 pm 
Wafer-thin Animator
[*]
[*]
[*]
Even if you are going for a more cartoony style, applying just a little realism wouldn't hurt. Still, considering that you are a well-seasoned artist, you certainly have the grounds to bend the "rules" of anatomy for certain situations, like you did with the head (although it would have helped if you made your intentions of shading the had like that a little more clear from the start).

By the way...

Black Boo wrote:
Besides that, these are things you should have brought up in the SKETCH stage three or four days ago. It's inked and colored. Unless the changes are very subtle or nuanced, or the drawing is so cataclysmically awful it needs to be redone from the ground up, they're not happening, and you missed your chance.

I'm sorry to tell you this, but this came off as a bit immature to me. I was only focusing on the more apparent things I found off, so I didn't go quite as in-depth on the initial sketch. If I was the one doing this, I'd not start on inking until I know that the sketch is completely fine to avoid wasting time. Considering that you didn't provide any updates until three or four days later, that's basically all on you because of your mild hastiness.

Speaking of the inking, this could just very well be me, but I don't think that it looks that difficult to make alterations in that state. With that in mind, I don't find it unreasonable to at least explore the possibilities I presented to your sketch. Besides, even if it was a bit of a pain to make corrections in that state, I'm afraid that basically saying that you're not changing anything because it doesn't look terribly wrong and I "missed my chance" are not valid points to bring up with me. Even though I'm not afraid to admit that I dabble with those points from time to time (particularly the one where "everything looks fine"), I at least ask everyone else in my threads if it's a good idea before I go through with it. If they agree with the points I was given, then I muster up the energy to apply the corrections regardless of difficulty. On top of that, there are even times where I was accused of laziness and possessing an aura of not accepting critiques, so you basically brushing off my suggestions reminds me of those moments.

Anyway, that's my two-cents on this matter. I could be missing something completely here, but this is just what I know from experience. Even though nothing bad would happen if you choose not to heed my advice in any way, it is food for thought.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:00 pm 
A Freakin' Missile
[*]
[*]
The drawing looks okay to me, but the foot that's on the ground would probably look better angled away from the viewer a bit instead of just being a profile drawing. That's just what I think.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:06 pm 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
i honestly think any "issues" with the proportions and whatnot are mostly based on preference at this point. i think that for what it is it looks fine, and it's absolutely not worth getting this much up in arms about.

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:23 pm 
A Freakin' Missile
[*]
[*]
Mit, I was only making a suggestion. If he doesn't want to follow it, that's up to him. :(

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:39 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
i think that was more directed toward e-man. as for the art, i think it looks fine

[zz]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:45 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
@E-Man: If you believe my response to have been immature, you would have hated going to an actual fine arts college. I addressed every change that you suggested I make, and dismissed it accordingly with the same exact logic that I used when I was making the image. I personally feel I'm done working in the previous stages of this picture. If a member of my team goes over these conversations and wishes for me to consider the changes you've suggested, I will.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:02 pm 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
SmithyGCN wrote:
Mit, I was only making a suggestion. If he doesn't want to follow it, that's up to him. :(

yea, my post was directed at e-man, my bad

[zz]
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:33 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
So, just a quick update. Ever since World of Warcraft: Legion launched, I've kind of gotten incredibly sidetracked by that. And now that the initial "expansion rush" is wearing off, I unfortunately am going to have my hands full with preparations for a family wedding and entertaining guests for about the next week or so. Hopefully I'll be able to get something out in the next couple weeks, but I'm also likely going to be opening commissions soon as well, so...I can't make any promises.

Fortunately the family business will be closing up for the season in a couple weeks as well, so I should have enough free time to balance everything.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:57 am 
Wafer-thin Animator
[*]
[*]
[*]
So, during the whole time you were playing your Warcraft, did you have any chance to keep your art skills sharp?

Also, congrats on that wedding! My other brother recently got married by the court and we plan to have the wedding during the summer of next year.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:16 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Welp, I've been gone for awhile because this has kind of fallen to the bottom of my priority list. I can't promise when I'll have something to look at, but hopefully it'll be soon enough.

Just kind of posting to keep you all informed that this is basically on hold till I make sizeable progress on commission work and the sort.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:27 pm 
Wafer-thin Animator
[*]
[*]
[*]
So, how did that wedding go?

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 34 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic