Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  [ 176 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 
 [us]
 Post subject: Re: Neweegee makes random sprites: Extended Edition
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:10 pm 
Wafer-thin Animator
[*]
[*]
[*]
Just keep practicing and I'm sure you'll get that chance.

User page at mfgg.net

[gb]
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:21 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
Wow, I love the Wario sprites here Neweegee! Like the dog riding on Wario's head, or his general biker look or what not.

But I do have one question. Namely... is this an actual game you're working on?

Cause I like the look of it, but I can't find anything about it online. Is it something you'll show at MFGG at some point?

Just curious!

https://gamingreinvented.com/

Also, for Wario fans, check out Wario Forums today!

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:59 pm 
* Incredible nightmare ensues *
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
theundead101 wrote:
Neweegee your sprites are remarkable! I hope to become as good as you are someday.

Honestly, I hope for you to become much better than I am. Pixel-art can do much more than I've ever done with it.
Just keep practicing, but remember to give yourself a goal to reach as well.

CM30 wrote:
But I do have one question. Namely... is this an actual game you're working on?
Cause I like the look of it, but I can't find anything about it online. Is it something you'll show at MFGG at some point?

Though I've rarely shown it online, it is an actual Wario fangame that I'm working on. I've already put a lot of work into the gameplay.
Progress on it(and this topic) kinda slowed down since I have to work on graphics for a few indie games and such atm.

I do plan on fully showing the game around here once the overall gameplay is finally shaped up.

User page at mfgg.net

[gb]
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:05 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
Oh, okay. Good to know it's an actual game!

Seriously though, tell me when you have a topic for the game itself, cause I want to post about it on Wario Forums.

https://gamingreinvented.com/

Also, for Wario fans, check out Wario Forums today!

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:59 pm 
Waluigi Time!
[*]
[*]
Neweegee wrote:
I think Ninten is finally done
I'm glad y'all helped so far. I want to release the spritesheet somewhere else at some point

Here are the new animations
Spoiler:

Now here's more Wario. It's not actually for a remake or anything much like that, but hopefully something still pretty cool. It probably wouldn't be a good time to tell exactly what it is just yet.

Image Image

I tried to fix the problems you guys were talking about by adding a few more frames to his jump, changed the run animation to have more movement and also did a few more basic actions. I hope it's coming out well so far.

That Wario looks outstanding! Some of your best work by far!

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:01 pm 
Waluigi Time!
[*]
[*]
Neweegee wrote:
Okay, I've tried redoing the run animation. I figured it was mainly the amount of animation frames it had, so I reduced it to 6.
So there's that and a few more animations done now.

Cool-ish fact is that the Game Maker Professional Edition upgrade I got in the humble bundle has onion skinning in the sprite editor(yep, I use that trash to make sprites), so now I've been using it to try making animations link together more smoothly.

Image Image

Someone give this guy a medal!

Do you plan on making Luigi aswell in this style? Either way I'd love to give you a hand on it.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:46 am 
Wafer-thin Animator
[*]
[*]
[*]
Whoa! Take it easy, Undead! You don't have to double post (especially if they are within several hours of each other)! I know that Neweegee's sprites are great, but if you must leave compliments and questions, either shoot him a private message or edit existing posts. Otherwise, you might end up annoying another user.

Neweegee wrote:
Honestly, I hope for you to become much better than I am. Pixel-art can do much more than I've ever done with it.

Wow... That's a comment I wouldn't even expect from myself! It takes a lot of guts to not only admit your own limitations, but also wish to have your own work topped. You're honestly one in a million, Neweegee!

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:04 pm 
Waluigi Time!
[*]
[*]
E-Man wrote:
Whoa! Take it easy, Undead! You don't have to double post (especially if they are within several hours of each other)! I know that Neweegee's sprites are great, but if you must leave compliments and questions, either shoot him a private message or edit existing posts. Otherwise, you might end up annoying another user.

Well if that is enough to annoy a user then that user has some problems lmao.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:26 pm 
Wafer-thin Animator
[*]
[*]
[*]
Please don't say things like this as it comes off as disrespectful. The primary reason why other users might get irritated is that double posting is against the rules. Sure, I know there are exceptions to that rule, but please try to wait until another user posts before you make another fresh one. If you're uncertain about posting another post in spite of already posting something, then my recommendation is discussing it with an admin.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:32 pm 
Waluigi Time!
[*]
[*]
E-Man wrote:
Please don't say things like this as it comes off as disrespectful. The primary reason why other users might get irritated is that double posting is against the rules. Sure, I know there are exceptions to that rule, but please try to wait until another user posts before you make another fresh one. If you're uncertain about posting another post in spite of already posting something, then my recommendation is discussing it with an admin.

Lets not start a flame war here alright? Lets just discuss this in PM's. There's no need to be so dramatic about this. Spamming would be posting like at least 4 in a row, but 2? Give me a break. (I know I said I said takes this to pm's but that just had to be said)

Edit: Sorry about being a d bag about that. I was just having a rough day.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
 Post subject: Re: Neweegee making pixels
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:09 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Begun trying some new things to try shaping up my skills

Earlier today I started making this animated character portrait for Next Gen Spriters' latest challenge, but I felt I should try something more creative and stopped before animating it. I might try an original character next time

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:16 pm 
Wafer-thin Animator
[*]
[*]
[*]
theundead101 wrote:
Edit: Sorry about being a d bag about that. I was just having a rough day.

Okay, as long as you keep your behavior under control, everything should be dandy for now on.

Anyway, Neweegee, is that Waluigi pixel art entirely by you? If so, I can see you outdid yourself this time!
Now, unless it's your intention to keep a limited palette, I'd suggestion changing the hair to brown. Also, maybe make the nose more like the one Waluigi actually has.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:28 pm 
soverygrin
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Neweegee wrote:
Begun trying some new things to try shaping up my skills

Earlier today I started making this animated character portrait for Next Gen Spriters' latest challenge, but I felt I should try something more creative and stopped before animating it. I might try an original character next time

That's a really nice portrait of Waluigi, Neweegee.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:30 am 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
there's honestly a lot of shaping issues to the point where i feel like more emphasis was put on the shading than the linework.

do you use a tablet? on a similar note do you draw on paper? just in general.

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:34 am 
Wafer-thin Animator
[*]
[*]
[*]
On the bright side, Mit, at least shading is actually a bit tricker to pull off compared to creating solid shapes. While I can see how the anatomy could use a tad bit more work and the locations where the "lines" don't flow as nicely, you have to admit that Neweegee's shading is improving.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:17 am 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
its easier to shade when the shaping provides clear enough forms for light to understandably reflect off of it. shading means virtually nothing when the shapes are formless.

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:28 am 
Wafer-thin Animator
[*]
[*]
[*]
Mit, why does it seem like that you and others who share your mindset take pleasure out of dispensing your higher understanding of art everywhere? While there's nothing wrong with that per se, it makes it sound like you don't appreciate the artwork at all and are only seeing pieces as your personal teaching tools.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:23 pm 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
otherwise constant praise creates that stark of a contrast.

when i'm the only one doing it of course i look like the wet blanket. consistently virtually everyone else praises his work when there are a lot of fundamental flaws. having confidence in your linework has nothing to do with my "higher understanding", learned that entirely on my own. i appreciate the improvements he's made (that mario especially looks very nice) however keeping things moving is vital to improving.

the way you describe me "flaunting my higher understanding" implies that you think i'm trying to be show-offish, but if that were the case i wouldn't share what i've learned to begin with. if i'm telling him this information it's because it's information i learned when i was in a similar spot and not because i want to assert some "spriting dominance".

it would be appreciated if you please stop trying to play savior when it's entirely unnecessary, i'd rather hear his opinion than yours.

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:49 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
E-Man wrote:
Now, unless it's your intention to keep a limited palette, I'd suggestion changing the hair to brown. Also, maybe make the nose more like the one Waluigi actually has.

I used the black hair in order to keep the palette low, but I'd change it if the brown hair looks better, justifying adding to the palette.
I thought the nose was right but I guess not.

Mit wrote:
do you use a tablet? on a similar note do you draw on paper? just in general.

Unfortunately I don't have a tablet or anything, so I just draw pixel by pixel. As for drawing on paper, I don't do it often. Though I did use Filpnote much

I did focus more on the shading here to try to get a better grip on it, but I think the line art mostly got mixed up I as tried changing Waluigi's angle slightly. Looking back, it's most evident on the cap to me

Edit:
Mit wrote:
when i'm the only one doing it of course i look like the wet blanket. consistently virtually everyone else praises his work when there are a lot of fundamental flaws. having confidence in your linework has nothing to do with my "higher understanding", learned that entirely on my own. i appreciate the improvements he's made (that mario especially looks very nice) however keeping things moving is vital to improving.

In all honesty giving clear criticism is one of the best things you can do to an artist trying learn. I do take any criticism I get directly and try to improve with it. Back when I was on tVGR regularly they used do that all the time, but now not as much these days due to the forum kinda dying, but that is a different story.

Though not as necessary, but more rare and actually different from praise is someone telling you what you're doing right. Not in the simple "this looks good keep it up" type of way but actually describing what things are going in the right direction(provided something is of course). There was also a few ways of doing things in earlier art that I dropped and I would much later realize was better than what I replaced them with. Not saying it should be a requirement or standard, plus it should be properly balanced with criticism as well, but it directly helps build confidence in improving.

Last edited by Neweegee on Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:13 pm 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
i would invest in trying to draw on paper in between work. you'd be surprised by how much it helps in sprite construction, even on a mouse.

you could even try to sketch out bigger pieces like portraits and use them for reference, or, if you're using a program with layers, use it as a base layer.

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  [ 176 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic