Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next  [ 451 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 
 [us]
 Post subject: Paper Mario animations
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:56 am 
Wafer-thin Animator
[*]
[*]
[*]
So, I sometimes visit this site every now and then to see if anything that catches my interest on there. Considering that I'm working on a very interesting project regarding the "flatter" side of Mario franchise, the thought of finally making an account crossed my mind. Thankfully, after talking about it with Neweegee, I was assured enough to make my decision.

Anyway, I digressed enough, so let's cut to the chase already. Before you ask, the video's in a spoiler because it's part of a habit I picked up from another forum to prevent slowing down a web page.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Now that I've shown you those two bits, it'll please you to know that there's plenty more where that came from. I'm currently in the process of creating a standalone short that'll give the general public a taste of my own take on the Paper Mario world. Once I'm done with that, I'll move onto creating a couple of animated fan series that further uses this style. I won't exactly go into the full details of those two series right away, but I'll gladly tell you guys all about this current short I'm working on. I can't tell you everything in this post without stretching it out further than it already is, but I will tell you that it stars everyone's favorite team of TMNT knockoffs! By the way, just in case that you're feeling worried about those Koopas after watching a certain Flash series on Newgrounds, it'll please you to know that I have no intentions of killing them off.

Now then, before I go, I'll leave you guys with a few things I'm currently working on. Enjoy!

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
 Post subject: Re: Paper Mario animations
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:14 pm 
sluuuuurp
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

this looks nice!

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:29 pm 
Watashi Wa
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Wow these are actually really nice. It's a good style.

I wouldn't mind an actual paper Mario game that looked like this.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:48 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
i saw your stuff on tsr, good work

[fi]
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:49 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Oh wow, these look fantastic.

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:03 pm 
Wafer-thin Animator
[*]
[*]
[*]
Syaxamaphone wrote:
Wow these are actually really nice. It's a good style.

I wouldn't mind an actual paper Mario game that looked like this.

Speaking of an actual Paper Mario game, the thought of making a fan game with these assets crossed my mind multiple times. The only problems are that I hardly know a lick of coding, and it would be a more involved project than an animated fan series. For now, I think I'll just focus on the first short and then explore that avenue later. Still, I'm not sure about the probability of this, but the idea of Nintendo using my assets to make remastered Paper Mario games greatly appeals to me.

Anyway, it pleases me that my project already received such a positive reception from you guys! I'll make sure to keep providing updates as I go along. Also, don't be shy about offering suggestions and providing any kind of help to speed up/improve this project.

Now for this post, I don't exactly have anything new to showcase now. Currently, I'm in the middle of inking some new parts for my Koopa puppet, but I have no idea when that batch will be completely ready. In the meantime, I have some other bits of progress I've done before for the other characters in the short.

Spoiler:

Also, if that's not enough, I'm including the current draft of the script. I originally wrote it, but I went through a couple of revisions to make the characters personalities clearer and improve the overall flow. This current revision is by P.T. Piranha of Lemmy's Land. While I do think he did a good job, I think another rewrite is needed to further improve the flow and remove any unneeded jokes, such as this one joke that advertises Goomnuts in a similar manner to a fast food commercial.

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:59 pm 
Wafer-thin Animator
[*]
[*]
[*]
Oh dear… I was hoping that this topic will remain a bit more active, but it seems like it was a bit of a flash in the pan...

Oh well, I guess it can't be helped. Anyway, over the past month or so, I was busy inking some new parts for the Koopa characters. It took longer than I originally expected, but I finally completed that part. As usual, I placed it in a spoiler.

Spoiler:

By the way, as much as I'd like to have my images outside of spoilers, I don't quite understand what the regulations are for large images. Since I'm not sure if the images are automatically scaled or not, keeping my larger images inside of them is a safer option.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:01 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
larger images aren't scaled when placed outside spoilers, but it's generally nicer and a better idea to place them inside, like you have

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:06 pm 
Wafer-thin Animator
[*]
[*]
[*]
Thank you for telling me that. Even though these spoilers are a bit of a pain to open (and shut), I'm glad that you guys don't seem to mind it at all.

User page at mfgg.net

[ph]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:47 am 
A fox with class
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Wow, these look really good. Would love to see more of this, man

Minus World Secret Santa Gifts: 2011- Dane
MFGG Secret Santa Gifts: 2012- McKnackus I ~ 2015-LuNiney ~ 2016-Mors 1 2

Refs drawn/sprited by other MFGG Members:
Doc ~ DragezeeY ~ Friendly Dictator ~ Mit ~ Wiwa

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:18 am 
[*]
[*]
Men , i liked the test_1 and the test_2 surprised me!! That is amazing!! And i liked more the test_2 because mario changes his facing direction , like : watching camera , watching goomba , and of course his hat that moves with the animation!!! The standing animation are perfect!! EXTREMELY GOOD WORK!!
EDIT : I have seen the sprites that you have posted, AMAZING Koopas , Goombario , and in the other post AMAZING TOO!!

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:55 am 
Wafer-thin Animator
[*]
[*]
[*]
I love your enthusiasm, No Name! Quite frankly, the amount of positive feedback in this topic so far was completely unexpected. I was thinking that it would ether get a smaller amount of praise or a bunch of critiques.

Speaking of which, Neweegee gave me a suggestion a while back to fix the beaks of the Koopa Troopas. Since I was going to correct the head shading anyway ever since Virt told me to make the heads more round, it was a good moment right there.

This might not be the most exciting thing to mention, but I'm glad that I embedded an image outside of a spoiler for once.

Also, these other two things are not much, but here are some recolored/edited inks for the Koopas and a visual representation of how I place my shading. I created the latter after Virt mentioned how the shading of my Koopa parts is off and I thought that planning out the areas of shading would help resolve that issuse.

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:29 pm 
* Incredible nightmare ensues *
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Pretty great update on the Koopas! Even if the difference isn't very big, it still fixes a lot.

Also, since this is based on Paper Mario, I think it'd be more fitting to have the normal Goombas wear red shoes, since they only wore the brown shoes in one Paper Mario game(Sticker Star).

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:43 pm 
hi hello
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

That looks amazing! ^o^

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:53 pm 
Wafer-thin Animator
[*]
[*]
[*]
Neweegee wrote:
Pretty great update on the Koopas! Even if the difference isn't very big, it still fixes a lot.

Also, since this is based on Paper Mario, I think it'd be more fitting to have the normal Goombas wear red shoes, since they only wore the brown shoes in one Paper Mario game(Sticker Star).

I'm glad I nailed it! Thanks, man!

Anyway, as much as I'd like using the Goomba with brown shoes due to how well they unify the color-scheme, I'm willing to make an alternate palette for this guy if needed. If you guys are up for this idea, too, I don't see why I shouldn't go through with it. Besides, it's not that hard to recolor something like that.

By the way, before I end things off, I've got more progress to share with you guys! Enjoy!

So, you think the lump on the side should stay or go?

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:00 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
The one with the lump seems a bit angrier, but the one with no lump looks cuter, though. But, I would say that the lump should stay.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:21 am 
[*]
[*]
Q-Nova wrote:
The one with the lump seems a bit angrier, but the one with no lump looks cuter, though. But, I would say that the lump should stay.

True

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:39 pm 
Wafer-thin Animator
[*]
[*]
[*]
Over on the VG Resource, this one guys mentioned that it probably wouldn't hurt to remove that lump. I'm up for this idea because it looks a little distracting to me. I might just leave the lump in anyway if more people want it on there, but a part of me wants to remove it just to make the design more appealing. Still, if anyone has a suggestion on how to make the lump look better (an illustration is helpful), then I'm open to it.

Now then, let's move onto the new progress, shall we?

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:15 pm 
Wafer-thin Animator
[*]
[*]
[*]
I got a little more feedback on the Goomba. The guy who mentioned that I should remove the lump insisted that I remove it because it looks morel like a pimple. This sounds like a good enough reason for me to get rid of it, but if you guys want it to stay (and possible have any good suggestions on how to make it look less distracting), I'm willing to listen.

By the way, this is unrelated to the Goombas, but here's Kent C. Koopa's final sketches. Much like the Big Lantern Ghost, I only did enough parts to operate him from one angle. I don't intend on him appearing in a lot of scenes, which is the reason why I gave him fewer parts. With that said, though, do the parts I sketch out look good?

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:19 pm 
[*]
[*]
Basicaly : AMAZING!

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next  [ 451 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic