Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 37 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 
 [us]
 Post subject: Super Bell Hill Sprite Background declined from MFGG
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:32 am 
Shell, Hammer, POW!
[*]
I made a really good Super Bell Hill Sprite Background. :D The file is attached. I did a really good job on it, they said it needs sprucing up...like what?

It looks similar to:
http://mfgg.net/index.php?act=resdb&par ... 1&id=30609

Thats were I got the idea from. But I did not edit off of it or anything.

Attachments:
File comment: The file
SM3DW_Super_Bell_Hill_Background_ Made_By_Krusper_Butter.png
SM3DW_Super_Bell_Hill_Background_ Made_By_Krusper_Butter.png [ 25 KiB | Viewed 779 times ]

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
 Post subject: Re: Super Bell Hill Sprite Background declined from MFGG
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:13 am 
sluuuuurp
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

the lines are really jagged, the shading is wonky, and there's way too much wasted space. also it looks like it wouldn't tile properly

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:28 am 
Shell, Hammer, POW!
[*]
the lines are really jagged, the shading is wonky, and there's way too much wasted space. also it looks like it wouldn't tile properly

Yeah I could fix the trail at the end so It would tile properly. For the wasted space, what should I put in the space then? I mean, the only major thing in Super Bell Hill in the backround is clouds. So what else should I put? The shading to me is fine tbh

Last edited by Krusper Butter (Koopa) on Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:31 am 
sluuuuurp
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

i mean wasted space on the sheet. the huge "give credit" text

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:35 am 
Shell, Hammer, POW!
[*]
i mean wasted space on the sheet. the huge "give credit" text

Well it is huge XDD, But it can only crop in squares, reactangles soo...I dont know where else to put it

The sheet is pretty big, thats why I made it huge text.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:11 am 
Shell, Hammer, POW!
[*]
(Attached) Ok I fixed the trail,it looks way better now. It also can tile correctly, any other suggestions?

Attachments:
SM3DW_Super_Bell_Hill_Background_ Made_By_Krusper_Butter.png [ 25.94 KiB | Viewed 760 times ]

User page at mfgg.net

[br]
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:30 am 
Not a bird
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
That was not a good excuse to decline the sheet...

Spoiler:

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:34 am 
Shell, Hammer, POW!
[*]
That was not a good excuse to decline the sheet...

Yeah...Im currently organizing the sheet more so it looks better.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:51 am 
Shell, Hammer, POW!
[*]
DONE! :laugh:

Attachments:
SM3DW_Super_Bell_Hill_Background_ Made_By_Krusper_Butter.png [ 34.25 KiB | Viewed 753 times ]

User page at mfgg.net

[br]
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:19 pm 
I Have Returned®
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
it still doesn't tile correctly.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:01 pm 
Shell, Hammer, POW!
[*]
LuNiney wrote:
it still doesn't tile correctly.

**** THE GROUND BEHIND IT

thanks

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:36 pm 
Resident Ninnyhammer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Okay, let's see what we have here.

Krusper Butter (Koopa) wrote:
I made a really good Super Bell Hill Sprite Background.

For starters, please do not say things like this. Most of the time, graphics are rejected from the mainsite because they're bad. There are other reasons they can be rejected--say, a sprite sheet offers nothing new compared to an older sprite sheet, or the sprites are stolen from someone else--but usually, it's because the quality is too low for people to find much use for them.

Quote:
they said it needs sprucing up...like what?

Now granted, the current mainsite software has certain limitations (which should be gone after MFGG3 is complete), but I believe the staffer who made the last vote to reject your submission could have been more descriptive.

So let's do that.

The first thing I notice is your background wasn't made to wrap. As LuNiney has shown, the left and right ends of the background don't match up when you attempt to tile the background. A lot of decent fan games have scrolling backgrounds, so this considerably limits the usefulness.

Another issue I see is in perspective. You've got two layers of grassy ground, but the bell shrooms on the back layer are the same size as the front layer. Objects that are farther away from you should appear smaller, even if they happen to be the same size as objects closer to you, and... well, that's not happening in this background.

A third issue is in your lines and shapes. There are quite a few jagged lines in your dirt path, which are a bit jarring. Your flowers don't really look like flowers; there's no distinct petals, making your flowers look like colored lozenges.

And then there's your colors and shading. The shading on your grass doesn't make any sense. There's no actual depth in your hills and no apparent light direction--only blobs of different shades of green. The bell shroom cap lighting source is apparently the front, but the stems are lit from the left. The dense clouds at the back of the hills don't make any sense as clouds don't work that way--and besides, the clouds are pillow-shaded. I might have put some subdued hills or mountains back there, but not that.

In conclusion... well, I would have considered rejecting it too, because there is quite some room for improvement.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:00 pm 
The Dark Warrior
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
On jagged lines: Least of your problems. You are going to have to take a closer look at the background you were inspired by. Its not a bad reference but you haven't properly studied what made that background to be good in all honest. That background is not problematic because the shading of the hills with the dark green on the "trough" of the hills there conveys minor elevation. Yours is lacking in that. You also misapplied the size of your bells on the back. The reference has them to be smaller. You are on the right track though, with the colors of the "rear" of the bg, but there should be more of a contrast with the Super Bells on the rear. Make it more bright like the color of the grass. Alternatively, desaturate.

The path: Make it connect but I would think that it should be following the general direction of the border of the grass and should slightly bigger in size on when the hills "trough" to convey a better perspective.

ATTENTION! I am in need of coders to help fix Mario's physics for Mysterious Islandz. The game as it stands, is quite glitchy. If you are good at GM8 and is capable of reading FDE Exi's code, PM me!

Spoiler:

I am the true darkness. MFGG stands in my way!

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:15 pm 
Shell, Hammer, POW!
[*]
Wow...you two really explained in detail. You make it seem like crap even though I put effort in it, but I guess not enough.

Im currently fixing it. Thanks guys. And the reason why the Bell Tree is the same size as the front is the background isnt that far at all from the front, But yeah, it should be smaller.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:31 pm 
sluuuuurp
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

always nice to see people respond well to criticism

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:40 pm 
Shell, Hammer, POW!
[*]
always nice to see people respond well to criticism

XD

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:54 pm 
Resident Ninnyhammer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Wow...you two really explained in detail. You make it seem like crap even though I put effort in it, but I guess not enough.

It's fine; you're new at making backgrounds. Many of us have our fair share of stuff that seemed great to us but was next to useless for everyone else.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:22 pm 
Shell, Hammer, POW!
[*]
Shadow Coconuts wrote:

It's fine; you're new at making backgrounds. Many of us have our fair share of stuff that seemed great to us but was next to useless for everyone else.

Yeah this is my very first background.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:41 pm 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
You might want to remove some of those Super Bell Trees. The original level had a lot of them, but there weren't that many that close together anywhere in the level. I've always felt like the best backgrounds are those which feel like an actual part of the level, and yours does not look all that much like Super Bell Hill.
Spoiler:

Super Bell Hill, for the most part, consists of layers of flat trimmed greens rimmed by short white-washed fencing. The walls of the terrain is mostly solid orangish-yellow that comes straight down, and disappears in an ocean, which is entirely absent from your background. as for the flowers and bushes, neither of them represent the level or look good on their own. Super Bell Hill had two types of flowers: Something similar to a Tansy Aster, and Dandelions. You have blue, pink, and red flowers dotting the area, none of which appear in the actual level.

I certainly must congradulate how you got all the trees to be different heights, btw! I see trees in many backgrounds being extremely uniform, which is non-organic, unrealistic, and aesthetically displeasing, so... kudos for that! :)

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:18 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
I skimmed most of this so it might have been pointed out, but I think the graphic itself isn't why it was declined. It's not that bad, although there's always room for improvement. See the thing that says, "MUST GIVE CREDIT"? That's probably your problem. Some of my own graphics were declined for that as well. I'd suggest you remove that and say, if anything, "Credit appreciated".

Whoever did this is fired immediately

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 37 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic