[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
So my question today is if all of you draw using shapes? Like start with a circle or cube or other shape and then build it up? Or do you just copy what has been drawn and go line by line as you go?

I used to draw with shapes, then I moved onto points. Then I moved onto shadow. I kind of like my old work which I used shapes for. Is it just me or do shapes really make things look 3D? Curious question.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
 Post subject: Re: Shapes when drawing?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:19 pm 
hi hello
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

There are lots of approaches, but I feel like working with shapes helps me a lot with making better silhouettes. Also, some people will thumbnail their compositions using only shapes which represent the general shape of the objects in the frame, then, if it works, they'll turn them into the actual things.
Drawing with shapes also helps with design. Different shapes can make people feel completely different things (sharp shapes are menacing, round shapes are friendly, big shapes are powerful, etc.), which is important to take into account when designing characters, environments, posters, or really anything.

I think there are definitely different cases that call for different methods, though. Sometimes drawing with line is the better option, and sometimes blocking in the shadow shapes first thing can be helpful. It all depends on what you're drawing and how you choose to approach it :D

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
 [ 2 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic