Go to page Previous  1 ... 130, 131, 132, 133, 134  Next  [ 2666 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 
 [us]
 Post subject: Re: Sprites / Art WIP topic
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:06 pm 
[*]
KirbyLover2048 wrote:
Oh God...

Those eyes...

I mean, the sprites look good, but the eyes...

How is this?

Attachments:
eyefix.png
eyefix.png [ 1.57 KiB | Viewed 2743 times ]

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:18 am 
hi hello
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

That's better but they still look kind of soulless. I think if you're gonna go with solid black eyes they have to be thinner. The problem is more drastic on the NES styled sprites because of the higher contrast between the face and the eyes.

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:28 am 
A forgotten forum.
[*]
[*]
[*]
Try making them only one pixel wide. It helps me whenever I make something like that.

I grew up with phpbb, and I won't let those memories go to waste.

If any of the staff members can see this, please, let us revisit these forums. They were one of the best parts of my MFGG experience.

~Kirb Berry

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:15 pm 
[*]
Currently working on my first tileset. Not custom, but it's something I've wanted to try for a while since there's not that many 16-bit NSMB tilesets out there. (I can definitely tell there's major shading improvement since my first sprite I made in 2014)
I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the slopes, though. They're the only thing I need to finish working on. They look ok, but it's the lighter/highlight area that just doesn't look right to me. It looks too thin compared to the other tiles, and I'm not sure what I should do to improve it.

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:18 pm 
[*]
ok... another eye fix..

Attachments:
seriouslyanothereyefix.png
seriouslyanothereyefix.png [ 1.46 KiB | Viewed 2717 times ]

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:23 pm 
[*]
EpicLuigi wrote:
ok... another eye fix..

ooooh, that looks really nice! the eyes definitely look better than before. the rest of the sprites also look good, seem to fit the SMB3 style pretty well. :thumbsup:

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:42 pm 
I'll be your 1-Up boy.
Social Media Manager
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I like the tileset so far, Turret!

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:02 pm 
[*]
Pedigree wrote:
I like the tileset so far, Turret!

Thanks! I actually finished it a little bit ago and submitted it to the main site. currently waiting for it to get approval.

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:03 pm 
I'll be your 1-Up boy.
Social Media Manager
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Sweet!

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:44 pm 
A forgotten forum.
[*]
[*]
[*]

If any of the staff members can see this, please, let us revisit these forums. They were one of the best parts of my MFGG experience.

~Kirb Berry

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:41 pm 
Here we go.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Neat sprite!

User page at mfgg.net

[mx]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:02 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Turret 3471 wrote:
Currently working on my first tileset. Not custom, but it's something I've wanted to try for a while since there's not that many 16-bit NSMB tilesets out there. (I can definitely tell there's major shading improvement since my first sprite I made in 2014)
I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the slopes, though. They're the only thing I need to finish working on. They look ok, but it's the lighter/highlight area that just doesn't look right to me. It looks too thin compared to the other tiles, and I'm not sure what I should do to improve it.

I am glad you took the time to post it on the forums. I personally accepted it on the mainsite, but you could reduce the pillowing on the grass surface. Let me know if you need me to elaborate.

[11:11:51 PM] Stacks-of-Phone: Gato will eventually ascend, his consciousness transferred to hard disk
[11:12:00 PM] Stacks-of-Phone: he lives the rest of his life, a live2D facerig

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:08 pm 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
KirbyLover2048 wrote:

That looks really cool, imo!

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:07 am 
[*]
Gato wrote:
Turret 3471 wrote:

I am glad you took the time to post it on the forums. I personally accepted it on the mainsite, but you could reduce the pillowing on the grass surface. Let me know if you need me to elaborate.

I do have one question. What exactly do you mean by "pillowing"?

[mx]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:04 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Turret 3471 wrote:
Gato wrote:
Turret 3471 wrote:

I'm not going to make up my own definition but I can give my own interpretation of the meaning.
I found this image online and I feel like it's a good representation of what you're doing. I'm guessing you are simply trying to port in the shading from nsmb to pixel art form, which doesn't carry over well due to the number of layers of shading you used. Basically, you want to avoid focusing the light source of to the central points to an outline, or else the darker shades will just compliment the outline and mesh with it in a sense, and it tends to look bad. Basically, about "outlining" the actual outlines of pixel art with lighter tones of color than the outline itself. Does this make sense?

[11:11:51 PM] Stacks-of-Phone: Gato will eventually ascend, his consciousness transferred to hard disk
[11:12:00 PM] Stacks-of-Phone: he lives the rest of his life, a live2D facerig

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:33 am 
[*]
Gato wrote:
Turret 3471 wrote:
Gato wrote:

I'm not going to make up my own definition but I can give my own interpretation of the meaning.
I found this image online and I feel like it's a good representation of what you're doing. I'm guessing you are simply trying to port in the shading from nsmb to pixel art form, which doesn't carry over well due to the number of layers of shading you used. Basically, you want to avoid focusing the light source of to the central points to an outline, or else the darker shades will just compliment the outline and mesh with it in a sense, and it tends to look bad. Basically, about "outlining" the actual outlines of pixel art with lighter tones of color than the outline itself. Does this make sense?

I guess. I've heard of pillow shading before, just didn't know you were talking about it. I think my main problem now is knowing what kind of shading would look good for the grass, making it still look like graphics used in a real Mario game, while still looking familiar to the NSMB style.

[zz]
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:54 pm 
[*]
4: backflip!

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:07 pm 
A forgotten forum.
[*]
[*]
[*]
WARNING: Big image!
Spoiler:

A custom background image for my computer. Pretty sure it won't work on anyone else's without some anti aliasing, making it blurry as hell.

~Kirb Berry

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:19 pm 
hi hello
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Is that the SMW forest background?

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[cl]
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:28 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
After facing a handful of inconveniences, I got fed up with PicsArt. Medibang seems to have huge potential so far, so I'm most likely gonna stick with it.

scaled image

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1 ... 130, 131, 132, 133, 134  Next  [ 2666 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic