PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:47 am 
Just a person.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Okay, I don't know if Developer Discussion is exactly where this ought to go, but it's...sort of related to game development, in that it COULD be related to game development...I think I'll just cut to the chase.

I'm sure that some of you (or at least a few of you) are aware of my fantasy world building project, simply titled "Terth," currently. If you're not, you can check out what I have so far here: https://soopaderpcat.deviantart.com/gallery/ No, this isn't just an attempt to promote my DA page. I honestly think the question I'm going to pose will be a lot easier to answer if you know a bit about the creatures, lore, and tone. (Please keep in mind, most of my older work does not accurately reflect the current tone and nature of the world. Everything below the first 13 rows or so of thumbnails is basically non-canon stuff that I keep just for the sake of keeping. Always consider newer iterations of concepts as the "accurate" ones.)

The problem is, I want to make a book (or ideally series of them) set within it. The problem with that is that I also want to make a video game (or series) set within it, I plan on doing both at some point or another, and I don't really currently want to do one more than the other, so I'm at a bit of a loss for which I want to start with, which is sort of jamming up my brain and keeping me from doing much work on either. So, I've decided to just give in and ask people; what would pique your interest more? Would you be more interested in getting to know the world in a sort of "hands on" way and then learning more about the history and backstory of it through a more in-depth prequel story of sorts, or would you be able to get more into a game that takes place in a world that you already know quite a bit about?

For reference, the game that I have in mind is an action RPG of sorts. It isn't "basically like" any games I can think of, so I won't try to describe it comprehensively for now, especially since I don't even know how soon I'll be starting on it yet and how much the concept could change in that time.

Also, keep in mind, this isn't a hard vote that will necessarily determine which I do first, and I'm probably working on one or the other (or both) even as you read this. I just kind of want something that'll help me sync up all of the cogs in my brain. Sometimes a little nudge gets the gears going smoothly again.

Last edited by soopakoopa on Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
 Post subject: Re: Book or game?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:49 am 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Content creators are supposed to spoil as much of their work as they possibly can to get people interested in checking it out.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:47 pm 
Just a person.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Willsaber wrote:
Content creators are supposed to spoil as much of their work as they possibly can to get people interested in checking it out.
I guess, sort of, although that doesn't really help since regardless of which option I start with, it's going to spoil things that would be present in the other. I genuinely want to do both for the sake of expanding my world, and neither is something that I want to make "just" to promote the other.

Eh, I guess this isn't really anything that I'm going to settle with a poll or a discussion, is it? My old standby of working on one thing when I get tired of working on the other is probably the best way for me in the long run. Working on both semi-contemporaneously will probably help me keep the lore and stories more in sync anyway. I really need to stop constantly asking people to think for me every time I run into a minor obstacle.

So yeah, sorry for starting up yet another unnecessary thread. If any mods would like to close this topic, go ahead.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:07 pm 
Silly guy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Yeah, I'm developing a comic and a game so I'm in the same boat. Just work on one when you get bored of the other.

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
 [ 4 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic