[ 11 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 
hi please dont critizise, i dont know maybe idea for new game
 [zz]
 Post subject: hi please dont critizise
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:13 pm 
I have an idea for a new game but I need help. The storyline is pretty long and bosses are hard. but i can explain everything if i can get some help. I've never developed a game before so please don't get mad. but with a few help, this dream could become reality. anyway its a Mario & Luigi game with partners and just in my opinion i think this is going to be good. so I'm thinking to have dimentio back and a few other new introducing characters too. also maybe some professional spriters could help but i doubt it because they have their own business and they are not going to help a little member like me. I'm thinking to bring some paper Mario characters back because the franchise is one of the best (except for color splash and sticker star). So yeah Bowser will only be a boss one time and i think that's all. if you have questions or ideas for the game or comments please let me know and please tell me what i can improve. thanks btw the name of game is mario & luigi revival survival

[au]
 Post subject: Re: hi please dont critizise
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:11 am 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
I've been casually making games and messing with game making programs for 10+ years and even I'm not confident I'd be able to pull off a full blown Mario & Luigi RPG.

If you've never developed a game before, my suggestion would be that you start with the basics before jumping in the deep end. There's plenty of paid or free programs to try, and loads of resources that I'm sure people would be happy to point you towards.

Available for ANDROID and IOS

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:16 am 
Great Time Champion
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Basically what Kritter said. While neat, your idea may be a bit too overambitious if you're a beginner. I would recommend starting with something fundamentally simpler and working your way up from there.

Image | Image | Image | Image
Profiles
Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:48 am 
great advice. any coding programs that i could begin off with a mac?

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:09 am 
Always have Jason Voorhees in your sig
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Game Maker: Studio, Stencyl, and Unity are available for Mac.

Image Image
Bibby Team | MFGG3 Github

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:58 pm 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Tywex wrote:
Mario & Luigi game with partners

I'm working on an original RPG that ended up being a spiritual successor to Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga. At one point in development, we had partners in the game, but we ended up realizing that there was no clean way to integrate partners into the M&L system. Superstar Saga is legit one of the most tightly designed games I've ever played, and part of that is in the game design. Here's what I mean:

A) Mario and Luigi are controlled by A and B respectively (with one exception that imo should've still operated this way). Paper Jam proves that a third character can be operated with Y if necessary.

B) Every character's attacks mirror their overworld abilities. Whenever you unlock a new move (Jumping, Hammer, Hand), you can immediately use it as a Solo attack. Once you learn how to use it with both Mario and Luigi at once (Spin, High, etc.) then you immediately unlock a Bros. attack related to that.

C) Partners, at least in Paper Mario, aren't fully developed player characters. They don't level up with Mario, they don't have as many equips, they can't jump in the overworld on command, etc. They are supposed to enhance a single character (Mario), not hold their own alongside him, and especially not alongside Luigi too. This is why you instantly lose when Mario dies in Paper Mario.

D) Every partner is totally different. Because they don't need to jump in the overworld, they each have completely different movesets, and nothing in Paper Mario's game design makes this a bad thing.

So here are the conflicts. If you have multiple partners possible in the third position, then Y isn't relegated to a specific character like A and B are, it's relegated to a "character slot" which doesn't feel as tight as A and B are [section A]. You can't really have Bros. attacks, because each partner's kit is totally different and would have to interact with the Bros. in unique ways. This is overly ambitious to develop, and the player will have a very difficult time learning every Bros. attack for every partner [paragraph D].

Partners will almost be required to have a jump attack because jumping is necessary for M&L's overworld design conventions. If they jumped automatically like in Paper Mario, why don't Mario and Luigi automatically jump too [section B/C]?

You see how mixing together disparate game designs can result in a lot of complications? You should first determine what the game that you want to make really is. If you want to make a Paper Mario-esque game, that's acceptable. If you want to make a Mario & Luigi-esque game, that's super cool and I salute you, though it will be more ambitious. If you want to make a game design that is unlike either of those, that's also great. There are tons of amazing RPGs for you to take inspiration from, and being a Mario fangame doesn't necessarily confine you to a certain set of design conventions.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:09 pm 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Tywex wrote:
great advice. any coding programs that i could begin off with a mac?

Game Maker: Studio 2 and Unity Engine both have great Mac ports.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:20 pm 
thanks for the great programs suggestions and ill try my best to implement partners in a M&L game. you know when you press l and r you get different abilities to do in the overworld (like burrowing underground)? yea there might be an option where you can switch to a partner in the overworld or in battle. i might have about 5 partners and they might be from paper mario because they had amazing partners so yea. then i might try to make my own sprites too.

[zz]
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:30 pm 
i just got Stencyl and now i can make a simple mario platformer for my first game. Thinking of naming it "Super Mario Deluxe".

[ca]
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:34 pm 
Silly guy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Start small, as everyone on here has said. It takes a long time to develop skills. Learn as much as you can and prototype as much as you can. Then you will be ready!! :)

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:01 pm 
i know

« Previous topic | Next topic »
 [ 11 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic