[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
What is your game development method? Do you make a game prototype? Do you make graphics first? Do you go straight into programming? Do you make concept art first? Do you make a game design document?

My method is: forget graphics, prototyping, game design document, all of that. Jump right into programming once I'm inspired. Use placeholder art and make the game as it goes. Do, don't plan.

So, what is your method?

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
 Post subject: Re: Method of game development
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:46 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Totally opposite ideally.

I get the ideas first and make a preliminary design document, then I start working on enough placeholder graphics to put into making a prototype work. From there if it's all working out, I forge on ahead. I find having documentation keeps things on track of what needs doing, what's already done and what might be added down the line etc.

Available for ANDROID and IOS

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:41 pm 
I'll be your 1-Up boy.
Social Media Manager
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
If I have an idea, I'll write a design document and use that to evaluate whether or not the idea is worth proceeding with. An idea may sound great at first, but once I get the logistics of it down on paper, it may not be feasible for my skill level after all.

If I still like the idea after writing the design document, I make a priority list and throw out anything extraneous or put it at the bottom of the pile. Plan out the goal of the game, the controls, items, enemies, etc. Here's a WIP design document I've been working on. I still want to go into further detail and plan the playing area. Though it is worth noting that my idea came from working on a set of cards based on the SMB3 card flip bonus game, so part of the placeholder graphics are already done. Even so, other priorities have been taking up my time. Hope to finish this project when I get the chance.

From the design document, I work down my To-Do list in priority order. For example, my To-Do list from the above design document:

To-Do List
Priority
  • Make placeholder graphics for each type of card.
  • Create an engine to start with that plays like SMB3’s card flip bonus stage. This will be available as Classic Mode.
  • Modify the engine for the new features. This will be available as New Mode.
End Game
  • Save data.
  • Options.
  • “you'll have to go outside the bounding box of the still frame to make it not look like it's shrinking as it flips over” from pdk, in regards to the card flip animation making it appear as if the card is shrinking as the card is rotated.
  • Add music and sound effects
  • Finalize graphics.
  • Title screen.
  • Credits.
Maybe, if I Have Time
  • Add a shop so that currency may be used?
  • Online highscore?

Note that your placeholder graphics should be bare bones. Too many projects focus too heavily on the graphics to start with, imo.

If I get stuck on something and need a distraction, I might push the difficult task further down the priority list for now so that I don't get frustrated with the project and cancel it. To be honest, the game design document is the most vital part of the project for me. It helps me to manage my project.

Winging it may be a lot more fun, but it may also result in a lot of poorly planned projects that are doomed by such problems as too many grandiose ideas that may end up higher priority for you than starting with a functional game.

In my opinion, you should always start with a design document.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:56 pm 
Silly guy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
As nice as a game design document is; I've realized I can humble myself and not get too grandoise. Also, visualizing is key to development and I'm a good visualizer. One more thing, the great rock group The Beatles said if they ever forget something during production of their music, it's unimportant. And I find games more like music than any other media.

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
 [ 4 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic