[ 11 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 
 [us]
 Post subject: Open Source Kirby Engine
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:10 pm 
I've always wondered why there was a lack of good Kirby engine bases for people to use to create their fan games. My question is, if I were to create an Open Source Kirby Engine for GM: Studio, would people use it? Also:

1. What kinds of things would you want to have available in the engine?
2. What style should it be GB or GBA/DS?

What I'd want to avoid is creating something that turns into the fiasco of Hello Engine, where you basically have a full game available to you from the start. I would consider a "bare bones" Kirby engine that would still require work on the user's part to make anything good. However, I'd be open to adding community requested features if they weren't too difficult to program. What do you think?

[us]
 Post subject: Re: Open Source Kirby Engine
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:34 pm 
Wafer-thin Animator
[*]
[*]
[*]
I'd say start off small first and provide screen shots. Once you get a decent framework going, then you can look into other features, such as additional Copy Abilities and setting the overall style.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:51 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
MalcomX wrote:
I've always wondered why there was a lack of good Kirby engine bases for people to use to create their fan games. My question is, if I were to create an Open Source Kirby Engine for GM: Studio, would people use it? Also:

1. What kinds of things would you want to have available in the engine?
2. What style should it be GB or GBA/DS?

What I'd want to avoid is creating something that turns into the fiasco of Hello Engine, where you basically have a full game available to you from the start. I would consider a "bare bones" Kirby engine that would still require work on the user's part to make anything good. However, I'd be open to adding community requested features if they weren't too difficult to program. What do you think?

The abilities available in the base game of Adventure, maybe. If not, Dreamland 2?
I would say definitely go with the GB/Adventure style, and people can replace the assets if they want. Not to mention, there are very few tilesets available for the "advance" style games, just foreground rips.

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:08 pm 
Always have Jason Voorhees in your sig
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

It would be cool to see a Kirby engine!

My recommendation for programming this or any engine, is try to make it highly modular. As in, make it really easy to program powerups, enemies, bosses, etc. Encourage people who use your engine to do their own work, so it doesn't just end up a level editor.

Image Image
Bibby Team | MFGG3 Github

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:13 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
HylianDev wrote:
My recommendation for programming this or any engine, is try to make it highly modular. As in, make it really easy to program powerups, enemies, bosses, etc. Encourage people who use your engine to do their own work, so it doesn't just end up a level editor.

This too. Maybe instead of including a bunch of base abilities, you could:

Separate abilities into different categories. For example, you could include Sword (weapon), Cutter (Projectile), and Spark (Surround?), and Beam (Element?) This allows for abilities like Hammer, Laser, Freeze, and Fire/Ice to be added by the user.

[zz]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:17 am 
[*]
While designing the copy abilities, keep things as generic as possible. Don't hardcode hitboxes and projectiles, but give the creator the option to add those themselves. I think the character editor of MUGEN is a good model here. People port in sprites before setting up the animations and hitboxes. If you look at a complex game like Kirby Super Star Ultra, that's literally all copy abilities are. Different movesets each with a unique theme to each of them.

User page at mfgg.net

[ie]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:06 am 
thanks, neweegee!
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
DragonDePlatino wrote:
While designing the copy abilities, keep things as generic as possible. Don't hardcode hitboxes and projectiles, but give the creator the option to add those themselves. I think the character editor of MUGEN is a good model here. People port in sprites before setting up the animations and hitboxes. If you look at a complex game like Kirby Super Star Ultra, that's literally all copy abilities are. Different movesets each with a unique theme to each of them.

Exactly. You should keep the abilities Squeak Squad styled, but steering nearer to Kirby Advance titles.

my youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7Pu2NplrfCUbTxE_zyHITQ

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:10 am 
[*]
I'd recommend to make it in Godot or a similar free tool, because if you make it in GMS the engine isn't really open-source to use. I'd also suggest making your own characters if you want it to be open-source as well. This hopefully isn't too much to ask given that you aren't making a "full game" engine anyways.

[ie]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:22 am 
thanks, neweegee!
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
P-Star7 wrote:
I'd recommend to make it in Godot or a similar free tool, because if you make it in GMS the engine isn't really open-source to use. I'd also suggest making your own characters if you want it to be open-source as well. This hopefully isn't too much to ask given that you aren't making a "full game" engine anyways.

You have a point. But everyone has GMS these days, so meh.

my youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7Pu2NplrfCUbTxE_zyHITQ

User page at mfgg.net

[tr]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:49 pm 
Thanks DonnieTheGuy!
Administrator
[A]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
P-Star7 wrote:

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:45 pm 
P-Star7 wrote:

Yeah, I'm actually not too familiar with Godot's coding language, so I wouldn't consider using it until I've had more time to look at it. My main goal is to create a fully-functional Kirby engine that people could use as a base for Kirby fan games, kind of like we have all of the countless Mario engines. This engine will be in Game Maker Studio.

I don't know if anyone remembers my old Kirby Fan game project I posted here a long time ago: Kirby's Dreamland Terror (Videos on thread) , but I'm basically re-writing that engine from scratch to be more user friendly, as it was a complete mess. I should have some progress updates soon.

« Previous topic | Next topic »
 [ 11 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic