[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I stopped using it some time ago but I still need to finish up this game for work, so I'm still stuck with this thing for some time.
To set up in app purchases I added the Google Play extension to my 1.4 project and ever since then the game doesn't run on iOS anymore - can't edit in Xcode either as all the code looks like assembly. Even removing the extensions doesn't help it.

My best guess is that GMS 1.4 just isn't compatible with the newest versions of Xcode and iOS anymore - which is too bad given YoYoGames stopped giving a duck about 1.4 completely. I guess it was time to upgrade to version 2.0. iOS and Android were the only modules I needed, which I got for the cheap cheap price of only $200 (as opposed to the regular $400) - no building for PC included, of course.

As I upgraded, I soon noticed they really put effort into the UI this time - and nothing else, meeting with a product that's functionality-wise even worse than GMS 1.x. How do you make a product worse than something that was barebones to begin with? By removing all the bones leaving you with nothing - an iOS export that doesn't even work. After meeting with error messages just trying to get GMS2 to recognize my iOS device, crashes and questionable design choices, I soon came to realize the iOS export just didn't work at all, as someone pointed out on the GMC.

"Just wait for the next version", a GM dev said, despite the version I'm having not being a beta or anything.

I will just wait for the next version, I guess, and after this project is complete, never ever use anything coming from YoYoGames ever again.

Cliax Codec is a combination of top-down and third-person shooter. The gameplay will blend platforming, puzzle and shmup elements together to create a unique gameplay experience. You will take control of four playable characters which rise against a team that seemingly wants to take over the world - but are their motives really that cliché, or are there deeper motives behind their actions?

Currently designing Chapter 1-6, 5%

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
 Post subject: Re: Game Maker is an audacity
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:51 pm 
Marle's my waifu
[*]
[*]
[*]
Yeah, I don't think I'm ever using GM again. It's just way too much hassle.

How does a bug like "iOS exporting is completely broken" even fall through the cracks?

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:53 pm 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
My best guess is that YoYoGames doesn't have any testers.
What's shocking is that GMS2 has been out for some time now, hasn't it?

It's like YoYoGames keeps getting worse with each iteration of GM.
At least they introduced cool new features with GMS, but with GMS 1.3 everything went downhill with performance nosediving and the entire program running on spaghetti mess.

Cliax Codec is a combination of top-down and third-person shooter. The gameplay will blend platforming, puzzle and shmup elements together to create a unique gameplay experience. You will take control of four playable characters which rise against a team that seemingly wants to take over the world - but are their motives really that cliché, or are there deeper motives behind their actions?

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:02 pm 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I tried Game Maker Studio 2 a few weeks ago. It was awesome... if "awesome" means "doesn't run on my laptop that can run GMS 1.4 just fine".

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:03 pm 
Watashi Wa
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Game Maker, while maybe not offering all of the amenities modern programming languages include, was still a great tool for beginners and pros alike. Its very unfortunate to see them consistantly struggle with the quality of their product. Its been a constant train wreck since Studio's beta was first released.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:31 pm 
Great Time Champion
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I'm actually quite fond of GM, but even I can't deny that Yoyo has been making one baffling decision after another as of late.

Image | Image | Image | Image
Profiles
Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:44 pm 
Lawful Evil
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Game Maker is no Audacity. It has very limited audio functionality.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 4:35 pm 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Dustinvgmaster wrote:
I'm actually quite fond of GM, but even I can't deny that Yoyo has been making one baffling decision after another as of late.
Yeah, if by "as of late" you mean the past few years or so.

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:01 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Doing anything with iOS is trouble to be honest. With android you make an APK then whack it up on Google Play or drag it to your device and presto, instant game.

With iOS you have to make sure your device is up to date but not TOO up to date because otherwise it might be incompatible with your version of Xcode, so you upgrade Xcode only to find that it's incompatible with your version of the Mac OS, so you try to upgrade your Mac OS only to find out that it's incompatible with your Mac because it's too old, then when you finally downgrade everything again you have to mess around with dependencies, SDK's and frameworks as well as changing all kinds of things just to get it to actually compile to test on your device.

Available for ANDROID and IOS

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:13 pm 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
iOS isn't so bad once you know what you're doing, though it can sometimes be a bit of a hassle to get all the stuff up to date.
It definitely isn't as simple as Android, but still, I could easily enough get a build running in 1.4... before the code errored for whatever reason, anyway, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't really Apple's fault.

It's definitely annoying getting all these provisioning and developing profiles just to be able to test your game, though.

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[tr]
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:36 pm 
Thanks DonnieTheGuy!
Administrator
[A]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
f*** GameMaker Studio, it's unstable as f***, and sometimes things just don't work for no apparent reason. You would expect Studio 2 to fix this problem completely, but nope! I've already had several problems with it, and I only used it for like a bit over 50 hours. Too bad that we don't have any better alternatives for now.

I already decided to use a somewhat custom engine for my indie game, instead of GameMaker.

[at]
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:41 pm 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Tbh just use Unity
Even if you think it's too steep of a learning curve, it's worth making the jump so you don't have to deal with Yoyo's atrocities anymore

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[tr]
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:49 pm 
Thanks DonnieTheGuy!
Administrator
[A]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I'm learning Unity for a few months but I don't think it's very suitable for the type of game I'm making.

[at]
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:56 pm 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Mors wrote:
I'm learning Unity for a few months but I don't think it's very suitable for the type of game I'm making.
I wasn't referring to you in particular lol
You said you had your own engine anyway, so that's pretty good. At least this way you get full flexibility and can optimize it nicely.

Unity is probably the best choice for indie games though, if you're not using a custom engine. Idk about the likes of Construct2, never tried them.

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 3:55 am 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
To be honest, I've found Game Maker Studio 2 to be a massive improvement of Studio: 1.x. It's much less intuitive, and its sprite editor is deficient in some ways that Studio: 1.x and Legacy weren't (although it's much more powerful in others), but once you learn the interface, it is much faster to work with and more powerful than GM:S 1.x and Legacy ever were. I've never had any performance issues with it, and the only time the IDE ever bugged on me was when I was using an outdated runtime, which is 100% user-error on my part.

I've got 60 hours on GMS2 according to Steam, though I'd estimate 5-10 of those has just been the program idling in the background when I'm not paying attention to it, and it's worked great for me. I haven't tried mobile development before in my life, though, so I can't say first hand how adequate it is for that. But it's perfect for PC development as far as I can tell.

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
 [ 15 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic