[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

So, uh.
I could write something here, but I kiiiiinda already made a blog post on the subject.

http://eyesineverything.com/blog/blog/2 ... developer/

^ Click it. Read it. Pretend I'm funny.

It's all a difficult realization to come to, but ultimately, one that leaves me feeling optimistic for the future.
I would like to hear your insight.

Psychic Cyclopean Silverware IN SPACE!
Follow updates (among other things) on The Twitterbooks!
(if you followed my old personal account, this is a different one - follow it instead!)

Engine test demo and more @
EyesInEverything.com

[us]
 Post subject: Re: Reassessing the future of Psycutlery / gamedev in genera
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 3:58 pm 
Always have Jason Voorhees in your sig
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Whew... I thought you were quitting Psycutlery, and maybe game development!

Yeah this is good news. I'm glad to see you're modernizing! Hopefully MFGG as a whole will follow in suit.

Image Image
Bibby Team | MFGG3 Github

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 4:27 pm 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Neat! The switch to Unity is definitely a good choice.
Unity is primarily aimed at 3D development, but they're catching up on 2D functionality. Plus, Unity runs on C# which is a big plus.

And the Switch becomes a very viable possibility with Unity :D

Cliax Codec is a combination of top-down and third-person shooter. The gameplay will blend platforming, puzzle and shmup elements together to create a unique gameplay experience. You will take control of four playable characters which rise against a team that seemingly wants to take over the world - but are their motives really that cliché, or are there deeper motives behind their actions?

Currently designing Chapter 1-6, 5%

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[tr]
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:31 pm 
Thanks DonnieTheGuy!
Administrator
[A]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I agree with Coco, while I don't think Unity is the best 2D game engine out there it's still miles better than Clickteam Fusion and it's undoubtedly the best choice for a Switch game.

I'm kinda sad that the game's delayed, though.

[us]
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:35 pm 
C# Programmer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
As a Unity programmer, it's fine for 2D, despite there being many annoying things about Unity. I'm open for questions, if you need help.

Focus on the performance, the idea, not the technical bits or details - Milt Kahl

[aq]
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 1:09 pm 
Founder
[F]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

^ Hey, thanks for the support! Would like to know what said "annoying things" are before I dive in, just to be prepared!

The decision to research Unity comes from a good friend of mine, who, incidentally, happens to be the creator of Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures -- a Fusion game that you may have seen on 3DS and Wii U. I won't go into details, but going by our conversations, getting Fusion projects on Nintendo consoles might be more trouble than it's worth, to put things mildly. This was his reason for switching to Unity for the sequel and everything else that would follow, and he's been highly recommending it to me ever since.

(if you followed my old personal account, this is a different one - follow it instead!)

EyesInEverything.com

[at]
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 2:06 pm 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I never noticed anything too annoying in Unity so far, but I exclusively used it for 3D so far.
The only thing I want to point out is to always make sure your game isn't running in the Unity IDE while you're compiling scripts. Most of the time you just get an error message but it can have some funky results.

Cliax Codec is a combination of top-down and third-person shooter. The gameplay will blend platforming, puzzle and shmup elements together to create a unique gameplay experience. You will take control of four playable characters which rise against a team that seemingly wants to take over the world - but are their motives really that cliché, or are there deeper motives behind their actions?

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[gb]
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 5:49 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
Well, I wish you the best of luck with the move. Experience using Unity is always a good thing to have, and if it makes releasing the game on Nintendo systems easier, that's all the better.

Just... don't scrap all the assets for the game. It's really the engine you need to change, not the art style. I could do with seeing a new soundtrack yes, but I think you'd be throwing away good stuff if you tossed the graphics out here.

https://gamingreinvented.com/

Also, for Wario fans, check out Wario Forums today!

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 2:28 am 
C# Programmer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Here are some notes I saved about Unity, originally from a file called "How Unity Works". These are just unexpected serialization problems. The serialization thing DJ Coco refers to is due to him not setting up his game to be serialized and deserialized correctly, which becomes less practical as your project gets bigger. It's a minor problem.

Since you're new to Unity, I doubt you'll run into the problems below. I have not recently verified all of these with the newest version of Unity. I also apologize for the formatting and grammar. They were only meant to be seen by my eyes.

Spoiler:

Focus on the performance, the idea, not the technical bits or details - Milt Kahl

[aq]
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 1:02 pm 
Founder
[F]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Thank you, Coco and TheShyGuy -- I have yet to get much farther in the program than just downloading it, so I'd be lying if I said I completely understood what has just been posted. Hah. Nevertheless, I am now saving it all to a text file for when I do gain some semblance of understanding! Could be a bit before I dive in -- need to assess if and how soon I'd need a new computer, solidify certain plans, and take things one step at a time... kinda need to focus on work this coming week as I have a bit of a project, but we'll see where things go from there.

@CM30 -- No intention of scrapping my art assets, although some may require improvements (might redo the dialogue portraits, dunno). And I'm sorry to say I have no intention of switching out my musician either, although I'm sure he'll be open to critique!

EyesInEverything.com

[at]
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 1:20 pm 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
TheShyGuy wrote:
The serialization thing DJ Coco refers to is due to him not setting up his game to be serialized and deserialized correctly, which becomes less practical as your project gets bigger. It's a minor problem.
Hm? I'm pretty sure the thing I pointed out has nothing to do with serialization. Even if so, it doesn't make much sense to ensure everything is serialized correctly for scripts with stuff that's never meant to be serialized.

It's not a big deal though, as you just need to quit playmode before recompile. Alternatively, there's even a failsafe script:
https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/stop- ... st-2632396

Also @TSG: A lot of these things sound like Unity bugs. Might want to report them back to the developers via "Help -> Report a Bug" so they're fixed in an upcoming update.
https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/bug-reporting

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 5:06 pm 
C# Programmer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
DJ, check out the docs https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/script- ... ation.html "Hot reloading in the Unity Editor" and I'll reconsider reporting the bugs.

Thunder Dragon, yeah the notes are for the future you when/if you run into these problems.

[at]
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:33 am 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
TheShyGuy wrote:
DJ, check out the docs https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/script- ... ation.html "Hot reloading in the Unity Editor"
Ah, interesting. That explains why Unity doesn't automatically stop play mode on recompile. I can see that being useful, but mostly you just want the game to stop running when you recompile the scripts :P Especially when writing to external data you wouldn't wanna interfere with that in play mode lol.

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
 [ 13 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic