[ 10 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 
 [zz]
 Post subject: [SQP] Requesting Recommendations for PC-based Mario level-ed
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:50 pm 
Greetings. My second post here and already a request.

I'll be blunt. I'm intending to start a project of my own that will likely be quite large and I'll need a team to complete it. I do however know of what one could call the "Holy Commandment" of recruiting a good team: show some decent skills of my own. Therefore, the nature of my request is as follows: as I'd like to specialize myself in making good levels, I'll appreciate a recommendation for a good PC-running level editor that I could use to work on my levels.

When you recommend me an editor (I'd rather appreciate a ready framework that I could test it in as well), please tell me why you think it's good so that I know of its strengths and weaknesses before diving in.

Thank you very much in advance for any assistance on the matter.

[cl]
 Post subject: Re: [SQP] Requesting Recommendations for PC-based Mario leve
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:15 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Hello,

I have something useful for you, please check it out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_level_editors

For Mario games, I know Super Mario Flash (and version 2), Super Mario 63, Super Mario Bros X, Mario Constructor Forever, Mario Builder and a certain SMB3 level editor in Spanish that I haven't seen in like 10 years. I wonder if it's still up? It was great but sadly underrated.

If you need help with level design, I can be of assistance as a recognized skilled level designer in the Super Mario Flash community. Won a contest and get rates of 10/10. I can make classics, puzzles, kaizo and just anything. I can give you key tips if you're interested (shoot me up a PM and you're good to go), but I definitely can't join any projects at all due to having a life.

If you need something more specific, please specify the key ideas of what you are trying to achieve and it will be my pleasure to look up on it~

Last edited by Old Yuanxian on Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:23 pm 
[*]
Black Serafuku wrote:
Hello,

I have something useful for you, please check it out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_level_editors

For Mario games, I know Super Mario Flash (and version 2), Super Mario 63, Super Mario Bros X and a certain SMB3 level editor in Spanish that I haven't seen in like 10 years. I wonder if it's still up? It was great but sadly underrated.

If you need something more specific, please specify the key ideas of what you are trying to achieve and it will be my pleasure to look up on it~

Was that Spanish editor a rom hacking tool or a PC game? I think the game "Colombian Lands" on MFGG has one.

[zz]
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:26 pm 
Black Serafuku wrote:

Ha. :-D

Black Serafuku wrote:
Super Mario Bros X

I just checked out the website of that one and if it runs properly for me, it appears it'll be a great place to start, thank you very much for that.

---

I'll definitely start building up my skills in level design on SMB-X, as it offers Peach as one of the playable characters and it'll be good to catch a good feel of the character. However, after I actually gain someone's trust here, I'll need something more custom, namely
- a bit more of a Castlevania approach to dispatching enemies (preferably with a whip and a set of throwing weapons)
- what could be best described as a Devil Trigger system
- a combo scoring system.

However, for this particular moment, from what I see, SMB-X seems a great place to start.

Thank you for a swift and helpful reply.

[cl]
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:30 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
P-Star7 wrote:
Was that Spanish editor a rom hacking tool or a PC game? I think the game "Colombian Lands" on MFGG has one.

Straightforward answer: PC game.

I just looked it up again and seems it is still up. Sadly, no new updates after Beta 9 (last update I saw 10 years ago). It has the essential features, but the best part is the fact that you can not only make levels but also worlds! I would link, but not entirely sure if it is acceptable.

Delacroix wrote:
Black Serafuku wrote:

Ha. :-D

Black Serafuku wrote:
Super Mario Bros X

I just checked out the website of that one and if it runs properly for me, it appears it'll be a great place to start, thank you very much for that.

---

I'll definitely start building up my skills in level design on SMB-X, as it offers Peach as one of the playable characters and it'll be good to catch a good feel of the character. However, after I actually gain someone's trust here, I'll need something more custom, namely
- a bit more of a Castlevania approach to dispatching enemies (preferably with a whip and a set of throwing weapons)
- what could be best described as a Devil Trigger system
- a combo scoring system.

However, for this particular moment, from what I see, SMB-X seems a great place to start.

Thank you for a swift and helpful reply.

It's my pleasure~

For building up skills in level design, you can try the SMBX forums for help. Just please don't feel down for the low rates; there are trolls who are harsh with rating or in the other hand, they don't give correct feedback. But hey, I'm still here. I am also known as a skilled level rater for elaborating on every single aspect of the level, so feel free to show me your stuff and I will help.

For the things you specified:

-I don't know much about Castlevania, but you can try something in the list I linked you to. Find which of these games with level editors have similar features and you're good.
-For Devil Trigger system, the list will still help.
-I know many Mario level editors have a generic combo scoring system that boosts the score for every consecutive hit until it reaches a point and then gives you lives instead. But that is just one example. Maybe the list will help, but not sure if they will give away enough info about their combo scoring system. And perhaps you will need extra research, or even play the games yourself to see how it works~

Last edited by Old Yuanxian on Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:34 pm 
[*]
Black Serafuku wrote:
P-Star7 wrote:

Straightforward answer: PC game.

I just looked it up again and seems it is still up. Sadly, no new updates after Beta 9 (last update I saw 10 years ago). It has the essential features, but the best part is the fact that you can not only make levels but also worlds! I would link, but not entirely sure if it is acceptable.

Oh nice, what is it called?

[cl]
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:43 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
P-Star7 wrote:
Oh nice, what is it called?

Damn, I forgot to tell the name... It's named Super Mario 3 Editable. Fact: the word "editable" is spelled the same way in both Spanish and English. Same meaning too, but usage rate may vary from language to language.

User page at mfgg.net

[br]
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:49 pm 
Not a bird
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
What exactly is a "Devil Trigger system"? Sorry I don't know a thing about Devil Trigger...

Spoiler:

[zz]
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:57 pm 
SuperArthurBros wrote:
What exactly is a "Devil Trigger system"? Sorry I don't know a thing about Devil Trigger...

Well, if you Google it, THIS is literally the first result. Basically, it's a system offering the player to assume a different form for a limited time, most often netting the player a new set of powers and bringing other changes to the table.

[cl]
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:19 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Delacroix wrote:
SuperArthurBros wrote:

Well, if you Google it, THIS is literally the first result. Basically, it's a system offering the player to assume a different form for a limited time, most often netting the player a new set of powers and bringing other changes to the table.

That's like the star or caps power in Mario games, giving Mario powers and different appearance. Those are featured in most Mario level editors and could be of use, but I'm assuming you want something more complex. Considering you're just new to the search for the desired resources, I recommend currently sticking to what you currently have and get used to it. The experience you gain will still be of help in the future when you manage to fulfill your desire.

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
 [ 10 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic