Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 38 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 
 [cl]
 Post subject: Re: Fan Game Developers Who Become Indie Devs?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:06 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Well um? I'll make this as short as possible to point out the main facts you should consider.

I'm a terrible game maker because I only want to design levels and don't feel like developing anything because I had problems at understanding things such as codes. Since I had no ability to make the desired engine, I could not put in practice my ideas for game design; I was basically just putting in the very few ideas that could be applied in the engine without barely any coding (though many times the applicable idea count was zero, meaning my fangames end up as generic engine clones). And the best engines I could use were Mario engines; hence why I became a fangame maker. Now, I think I'm gonna resume using RPG Maker for indie games and maybe avoid making fangames again. So yeah, I'm a great example of a fangame maker who switched to indie.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:50 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I think your definition of "great example" is different than most people's.

[cl]
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:09 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Kirby's Adventure wrote:

I respectfully object,

At first, I was like "Man, do you even know what you're reading? It's clear that I was making fangames and now switching to indie games, so it is just a perfect example of "fangame maker to indie game maker", since it is clearly written from past to present in order of events", but then I think I got your point. You mean, I wasn't exactly a developer because I was using engines and making very little differences according to my mediocre programming knowledge? That's correct... BUT your statement is still incorrect because I was pointing out I was a great example in my own fact:

Black Serafuku wrote:
fangame maker who switched to indie.

Literally and gramatically explained in my paragraph. Even though I was barely a developer, I was technically still making fangames. Creating, at least if not much, is still literally creation. Then switching to indie, and that's a fact. Since it describes perfectly the sequence of events that portray the fact, it could even be called "perfect example". Fairly loyal to the dictionary. If my definition is different than most people's, it means most people don't define things according to the dictionary. That's downright erroneous. Well, I may be expatiating too much on the literal flaws of your statement, but overall, it's not what you thought it was. Now, you might be wondering why I even bothered making this post. First, why not? It doesn't hurt, does it? Second, it is still related to the topic. If you think a post needs to be 100% loyal to the OP, now that's certainly questionable on my side. Third, you need to put into consideration all those cases where there is a portion of uncertainty on whether something is acceptable or not. In the vast majority of cases, it is acceptable when the user has at least logic reasons to relate it with the expected item. Fourth, what's such a gargantuan difference between slight presence of developing to general developing of a game in terms of acceptance in this context? I won't argue that there is actually a difference in terms of amount, but it's clearly not enough to downright set the first apart from context like it shouldn't even have been laid out. Heck, I never heard of a single game maker who isn't called developer. You just call them that way. You cannot even tell if they actually developed it or used some open source in case they don't give away the truth regarding the making process (which many don't even do). So how do you even tell? It is just beyond your reach because you cannot read minds at long and possibly unknown distances.

Back on topic, it isn't up to me nor you if my example is going to be accepted or not. It's CM30's decision. I honestly do not mind myself being put into consideration or not. I don't think there is more discussion needed about this matter, since CM30 is literally asking if anyone knows any more examples (Source: first sentence). My answer is that I know myself as possible example, which was the point of my approach here. To avoid further derailing, I'd like to state that it's better to just move on and leave the thread back on track, even though the derailing was rather insignificant but still literally counts as derailing. I humbly apologize for that. I'll do my part by refusing to continue the derailing, and hope the thread's goal of getting more examples suggested will be fulfilled~

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:30 am 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
What am I even reading?

User page at mfgg.net

[de]
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:41 am 
The Hirsen
I was working on a "Panel de Pon" RPG fangame a long time ago, which I created with RPG2003 (yeah, so gooood, right? :nope: ).

I stopped working on fangames mainly because of the low reward and high punishment you will get, as soon as it gets too well known. It's not worth the effort in my opinion.

Another thing is, that I can do indie stuff better anyway, because if you do a fangame of some sort, people expect a certain quality from it (which is usually high, if it's from a well known franchise) like "you have to do it this and that way". In indie, you can decide more or less, how your world works and how the game plays. You don't have a big fanbase, that's right, but you also don't have a big fanbase with many people with high expectations.

Also, doing indie feels more creative for me.

ImageImageImageImageImage

[zz]
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:55 am 
Video Game Musician
[*]
[*]
I go way farther back than you would expect... 10+ years, as a matter of fact!

My fangames were all either never completed, or were released as prototypes and never got any further. There were several kinds of fangames I attempted, most commonly with furbies, and I was more commonly a musician than a game developer (there is a fangame project that I did get involved in for the SNES called SNES All-Stars. That game idea died out in late 2007, and back then I used to do more remixing... but I was also worse with my notation at times.)... but one was with forum members of the SilverCreator community way back in 2007-2008. I was actually able to release a nearly graphic-free functional prototype that technically worked to the end... A hard drive crash killed this one in the long run. I was working on replacing the soundtrack that I had extracted from other games.

If the Nine Pixel Game counts as an indie game (and ironically my only completed release... and I have refused to make money off of it), then in theory I left making fan games long ago. However, there is one fan game idea (it does have furbies) that came into existence in 2005 that I still actively make something for it, even if it's only music...

Plus, ironically, one of my more recent musical projects has been for Project Demo: The Game, by Heraga/Corny/Nin, which is a fangame of raocow's Demo character. So it's really a mixed bag for me.

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:51 am 
Always have Jason Voorhees in your sig
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Black Serafuku wrote:
Kirby's Adventure wrote:

I respectfully object

What he's saying here is, if you only did level edits with pre-existing engines that are generally considered bad to use, and you plan on making indie games in the future, you're not exactly a "perfect" example. You spent the first part of your post talking about how you're not good at game development and do the least required, that's what he was talking about.

A perfect example would be the SMBX guy who went on to make Terraria, or Thunder Dragon going from Psycho Waluigi to indie, etc. A perfect example is someone who has made fangames, preferably successful fangames (and also preferably original fangames), then went on to make indie games (preferably successful indie games).

Image Image
Bibby Team | MFGG3 Github

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:11 am 
Mt. Lavalava and all that jazz
[*]
[*]
[*]
I made terrible fangames and terrible sprites, but recently I've been wanting to make some weird RPGmaker things. I've actually considered coming back to participate in MFGG's sprite competitions just to practice learning pixel art again. =3

YouTube | Tumblr | Twitter

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:45 am 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I'd love to see KPP do some more pixel art here.

I suppose I may also fall into this category. I've made a bunch of fangames over the years, and I'm currently working on a couple of indie projects (a small one and a very big one).

User page at mfgg.net

[gb]
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:22 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
Well, I just wrote a quick article on the subject:

https://gamingreinvented.com/nintendoar ... urned-pro/

Thoughts?

https://gamingreinvented.com/

Also, for Wario fans, check out Wario Forums today!

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:33 pm 
Always have Jason Voorhees in your sig
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

CM30 wrote:
Well, I just wrote a quick article on the subject:

https://gamingreinvented.com/nintendoar ... urned-pro/

Thoughts?

Great article! All of the people on the list are fairly good examples. Idk if there are more people like redigit who might've nudged Fusion off the list or anything, but that aside it looks good to me.

The Sonic Mania guy definitely deserves top spot. That's the feel-good story of the decade, I tell you h'wat.

Though there are a few typos in the article; you should maybe skim through it one more time.

Image Image
Bibby Team | MFGG3 Github

User page at mfgg.net

[gb]
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:51 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
Just checked the spelling and fixed a minor typo. Still looking for others now, thanks for pointing it out.

And yeah, I could have probably some found bigger examples. If I knew more about the Pokemon fan game scene or the Fire Emblem scene or what not, I suspect I would have found some interesting ones there too.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:58 pm 
Watashi Wa
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
0/10 list no khimera

fake news

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:09 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Quote:
5. Runouw (Last Legacy

not sure how you overlooked this one

[gb]
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:14 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
0/10 list no khimera

fake news

LOL. Internet user is angry his favourite was left off the list. Sad.

(yes, I suck at mimicking Donald Trump).

Quote:
not sure how you overlooked this one

Fixed.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:33 pm 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
CM30 wrote:
LOL. Internet user is angry his favourite was left off the list. Sad.

I mean Syx is probably the most iconic MFGG dev who was lured by the prospect of developing indie games. Khimera was more popular than half the indie games listed in that article.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:15 pm 
Lawful Evil
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Quote:
Since then though, they’ve slowly gotten tired of the fan game world, eventually culminating in their recent decision to stop making them altogether. That’s in part because of Nintendo’s recent fan project shut downs, and the team deciding Super Mario Fusion Revival (their most recent project) was too risky to continue in that form.

Nintendo's fan project shutdowns occurred far, far after Fusion Gameworks started dying. The heart of that community was Mushroom Kingdom Fusion; without it, there simply wasn't a grand idea to coalesce around. I would really rather that Fusion Gameworks in its current state outright died; there are virtually no regulars on the site, and the members would be better off dissolving into more active communities like this.

User page at mfgg.net

[gb]
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:49 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
Magnemania wrote:
Quote:
Since then though, they’ve slowly gotten tired of the fan game world, eventually culminating in their recent decision to stop making them altogether. That’s in part because of Nintendo’s recent fan project shut downs, and the team deciding Super Mario Fusion Revival (their most recent project) was too risky to continue in that form.

Nintendo's fan project shutdowns occurred far, far after Fusion Gameworks started dying. The heart of that community was Mushroom Kingdom Fusion; without it, there simply wasn't a grand idea to coalesce around. I would really rather that Fusion Gameworks in its current state outright died; there are virtually no regulars on the site, and the members would be better off dissolving into more active communities like this.

True, it'd mostly died off before then.

But officially, they said the shut downs are why they stopped working on Super Mario Fusion Revival and most other projects. They'd been showing updates over on their developer Discord channel for a while by that point, and then considered it too risky due to the recent events.

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 38 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic