[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I haven't tested GMS2 yet, but versions prior to it have been riddled with bugs. Some are plain annoying, some are funny.
I'm sure you encountered a fair share of bugs yourself too (if you're using GM), so feel free to share your favorite ones here.

My personal favorite has to be the bug when scaling objects in the room editor - I should be more precise, as there's multiple ones related to that. For one, the scaling often doesn't snap to the grid, but that's not the one I mean. When using non-English computers it's possible GMS randomly stops accepting your scaling giving you error messages like "2.00 is not a valid floating point value". When that happens you either gotta enter the scale values by hand or just restart GMS. I'm not sure why that happens, but I think it's related to how the comma is stored. Either way, it's interesting 2.00 is not a floating point value to Game Maker.

Another bug I like is that enums seemingly don't quite work flawlessly with the colors in the code editor. Enums often aren't drawn in the color they're supposed to be, whereas former enums or variables with the same name as an enum value often are drawn as if they were an enum. While funny, it's also quite disorienting - unless the screwed up colors manage to arrange themselves in a nice pattern like this:
While I do appreciate the red-white-red pattern as an Austrian, I'd still prefer my enums to be all red.

What are your favorites?

Cliax Codec is a combination of top-down and third-person shooter. The gameplay will blend platforming, puzzle and shmup elements together to create a unique gameplay experience. You will take control of four playable characters which rise against a team that seemingly wants to take over the world - but are their motives really that cliché, or are there deeper motives behind their actions?

Currently designing Chapter 1-6, 5%

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[es]
 Post subject: Re: Favorite Game Maker Bugs
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:05 pm 
I'm just a little adorable kitty :3
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Never heard about the enum variable

As for bugs, the one you mentioned of the room editor

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:14 pm 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I think it's really neat when GM Studio randomly corrupts people's files. That's my favorite GM bug.

(Though in YYG's defense, I haven't heard of this particularly nasty problem happening in recent months.)

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:19 pm 
Watashi Wa
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
VinnyVideo wrote:
I think it's really neat when GM Studio randomly corrupts people's files. That's my favorite GM bug.

(Though in YYG's defense, I haven't heard of this particularly nasty problem happening in recent months.)

Actually it happened to me a couple of months ago. It was a pretty good time.

User page at mfgg.net

[br]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:27 pm 
Not a bird
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I don't often have bugs, however once in a while GM gives me a "can't load game icon" error even though I didn't touch the game icon settings. :p Guess that's my favorite since I'm used to it...

Or, in even rarer chances, GM simply doesn't accept my variables even though I'm using an existing variable.

Spoiler:

[tr]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:12 pm 
Thanks DonnieTheGuy!
Administrator
[A]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I like it when YYC completely f***s up the game for no reason sometimes. That can be hilarious

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:13 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
My favorite bug of them all is when it throws errors and then the errors shown are not the correct errors. Such as it taking you to the wrong lines when you have duplicate switch cases, or it telling you about an array index being out of range that was not actually referenced anywhere (or an array to begin with!). Thankfully this is a rare one, and I had one instance of the latter thing just decide to fix itself on a subsequent build and run despite no script changes having occurred between two runs.

User page at mfgg.net

[fi]
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:25 am 
:3c
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I really love how Game Maker Studio handles files.

1. Have a sprite, let's say sprSprite1.
2. Rename sprSprite1 to anything (let's say sprSprite1BKUP)
3. Create a new sprite called sprSprite1.
4. Save
5. sprSprite1BKUP should've been overwritten with data from the new sprSprite1! If you don't have backups, you're kinda screwed.

Also arrays are broken as hell. Especially global arrays, they sometimes don't save values given to them. I've had a lot of fun with that "feature".

My signature is very empty now that I've removed the advertising. :(

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:16 am 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
My favorite is the room editor. Just... the whole thing is one huge bug.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:07 am 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
CatoNator wrote:
I really love how Game Maker Studio handles files.

1. Have a sprite, let's say sprSprite1.
2. Rename sprSprite1 to anything (let's say sprSprite1BKUP)
3. Create a new sprite called sprSprite1.
4. Save
5. sprSprite1BKUP should've been overwritten with data from the new sprSprite1! If you don't have backups, you're kinda screwed.

Also arrays are broken as hell. Especially global arrays, they sometimes don't save values given to them. I've had a lot of fun with that "feature".
Oh yeah. That happened to me with rooms when I shifted around some levels. Fortunately, I had a backup.

Cliax Codec is a combination of top-down and third-person shooter. The gameplay will blend platforming, puzzle and shmup elements together to create a unique gameplay experience. You will take control of four playable characters which rise against a team that seemingly wants to take over the world - but are their motives really that cliché, or are there deeper motives behind their actions?

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:46 pm 
[*]
I love exiting the sprite editor and having GM:S freeze completely. I'd spend hours on a sprite just to exit out and get f*** IN THE ASS.
Happens once every 100 or so times. But it's because of that 1 in a 100 chance that I still take a screencap of every finished animation before exiting, and save every single time i do successfully exit. It ****ing sucks because I use GM's image editor for almost everything. Legit no other image editor has such a straightforward palette switching tool and easy alpha control and an animation system and and a crap load of other goodies like instant resizing, outlines, shadows, gradients, alphamasks, etc. I'm glad GMS2 went in the complete opposite direction and made everything require 2x as many clicks and outright removed half the **** I liked. I'm sticking to GMS.

Last edited by Physix on Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

[br]
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:06 pm 
Not a bird
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Physix wrote:
I love exiting the sprite editor and having GM:S freeze completely. I'd spend hours on a sprite just to exit out and get f*** IN THE donkey
Happens once every 100 or so times.

Ohh, yes yes yes. Forget what I previously said, this is my favorite pet bug. Ohhh, I just remember all the "fun" I had with this...

Spoiler:

[at]
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:23 pm 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Oh, another bug I thought was pretty neat:
I hate it when sites don't allow you to use special characters for passwords (like don't you want me to be secure?) - fortunately Game Maker allows that. However, while that's all well and good the login from inside the GM IDE itself doesn't quite take special characters so well. I kept getting an error message telling me my password was wrong as the IDE couldn't parse an accented letter. Had to change my password on the GM website so I could login from inside the IDE again.

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:06 pm 
Always have Jason Voorhees in your sig
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

The corrupted files bug: use source control.

Bitbucket or Github

Image Image
Bibby Team | MFGG3 Github

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:26 pm 
Marle's my waifu
[*]
[*]
[*]
HylianDev wrote:
The corrupted files bug: use source control.

Bitbucket or Github

No duh. The problem is that you have to use third party programs just to not get f*** over.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:13 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
^ GM has had a backup feature for a while. Studio doesn't screw those up unless you persistently build and run a dead source. I forgot if it's enabled by default, though.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:18 pm 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
It's on by default. I'll be honest and admit that I actually rely on it when I think what I'm about to do might require loading a back-up from a few minutes ago.
Never use it as an alternative for real back-ups though. I highly recommend Hylian's advice - not just for GM projects.

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
 [ 17 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic