[ 20 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 
 [zz]
 Post subject: Weird GMate bug
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:45 am 
I, Papyrus, am awesome!
[*]
[*]
[*]
Okay, so I encountered a weird GMate but...multiple times.
Basically, sometimes the objects work, but sometimes, they give weird errors, even though I did not change the object between the success and the error.
And the error message itself is weird as well:
Quote:
ERROR in
action number 2
of Trigger Event: <Deleted>
for object obj_sth3_eggrobo:

Error defining an external function.

How can it read from a Trigger Event that appearantly doesn't even exist?
Would be glad if someone could help me. Thanks in advance!

What I also support:
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[es]
 Post subject: Re: Weird GMate bug
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:47 pm 
I'm just a little adorable kitty :3
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Triggers were a function from GM8 and above and they were deprecated on Studio.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:53 pm 
I, Papyrus, am awesome!
[*]
[*]
[*]
...but I am not using Game Maker Studio. I'm using Game Maker 8. Did you already forgot that I hate Game Maker Studio from the bottom of my heart?

Plus, I do not always get this error. Only at random.

What I also support:
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:46 pm 
Watashi Wa
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
I find that if the error is in room creation code, it displays the wrong location for your specific error, so maybe check some of your room creation events if you have any.

As for the error itself, it looks like its having trouble with a DLL. Do you use any DLLs in your project?

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:05 am 
I, Papyrus, am awesome!
[*]
[*]
[*]
Yes, I do. And the game wont even work properly without them. Those are:
IniLibGMDLL.dll
Protect.dll
GMFMODSimple.dll

Aside from that, I'm also using the Caster extension on top of the GMFMODSimple, but that's only because the engine originally used Caster instead of GMFMODSimple, and I couldn't be arsed to remove all the Caster stuff. Especially since there were no errors before, and it only gives errors now, even though I did not change any code (only sprites)

Plus, I get that error as soon as the game starts, as in on the very first room, and the first room doesn't even contain the object that gives out this error.

Two other objects give out the same errors, and they never gave out that error before either, but at least I was able to determine what they were refering to...
obj_menu_title (Create Event): scr_options_save();
obj_data_slot (Alarm 0): scr_slot_load(slot);

scr_options_save():
Code:
//Call DLL:
scr_data_protect_init();

//Load the Options Save:
options_file = rini_open("config_options"){

//Normal Settings:

rini_write_real(options_file,"OPTIONS","VOLUME",global.bgm_volume);
 rini_write_real(options_file,"OPTIONS","SFXVOLUME",global.sfx_volume);
 rini_write_real(options_file,"OPTIONS","RESOLUTION",global.win_resolution);
 rini_write_real(options_file,"OPTIONS","ANGLE",global.angle_mode);
 rini_write_real(options_file,"OPTIONS","PEELOUT",global.use_peelout);
 rini_write_real(options_file,"OPTIONS","HOMING",global.use_homing);
 rini_write_real(options_file,"OPTIONS","LIGHT",global.use_light);

//Gamepad Settings:
 rini_write_real(options_file,"GAMEPAD","ACTION",global.gamepad_action); 
 rini_write_real(options_file,"GAMEPAD","SPECIAL",global.gamepad_special);
 rini_write_real(options_file,"GAMEPAD","PAUSE",global.gamepad_pause);   
 rini_write_real(options_file,"GAMEPAD","MAPPED",global.gamepad_mapped);   
};
rini_close(options_file)

//Protect our Data File:
data_file = "config_options";
scr_data_protect(data_file, global.save_password, 1, 0);

scr_slot_load(slot):
Code:
//Call DLL:
scr_data_protect_init();

// call this script to load the save lot
//FYI, "argument0" represents the slot number.

if (file_exists(working_directory+"\gamedata\saves\gmate_save"+string(argument0)+".sav")){

//Decrypt our Data File:
data_file = working_directory+"\gamedata\saves\gmate_save"+string(argument0)+".sav";

slot_data = rini_open(working_directory+"\gamedata\saves\gmate_save"+string(argument0)+".sav");

//Load Save Slot 1
 slot_zone        = rini_read_real(slot_data, "SLOT","ZONE",     global.first_zone);
 slot_lives       = rini_read_real(slot_data, "SLOT","LIVES",                    3);
 slot_chaos       = rini_read_real(slot_data, "SLOT","CHAOS",                    0);
 slot_char        = rini_read_real(slot_data, "SLOT","CHAR",                     1);
 slot_cpu         = rini_read_real(slot_data, "SLOT","CPU",                      0);
 slot_icon        = rini_read_real(slot_data, "SLOT","ICON",                     1);

empty = false; //the slot is not empty

rini_close(slot_data); 

//Protect our Data File:
data_file = working_directory+"\gamedata\saves\gmate_save"+string(argument0)+".sav";

}else{
 empty = true; //if no save data exists, the slot is empty
}

So either IniLibGMDLL.dll or Protect.dll seem to be the cause of this error, and I sadly need both to function properly (IniLibGMDLL.dll is used for saving/loading, Protect.dll is used to protect your saves).

So yeah, that sadly still doesn't explain that other error I'm getting (the one in the first post).

What I also support:
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 am 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Pretty sure this is an unfixable bug within GM8.
I'd tell you to use Studio, but I don't feel like talking against a wall.

Cliax Codec is a combination of top-down and third-person shooter. The gameplay will blend platforming, puzzle and shmup elements together to create a unique gameplay experience. You will take control of four playable characters which rise against a team that seemingly wants to take over the world - but are their motives really that cliché, or are there deeper motives behind their actions?

Currently designing Chapter 1-6, 5%

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:47 pm 
I, Papyrus, am awesome!
[*]
[*]
[*]
No, I will not accept "unfixable" as an answer!
First, this engine was made for GM8, so switching to GMS would only make matters WORSE.
Second, the first few times I used the engine, those errors did NOT occur. They only started to occur now, and they just wont go away anymore.
Third, there is a reason I don't use GMS, and that's called "corruption of project files". No chance in hell I will ever put my project files in danger.

What I also support:
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:32 pm 
Watashi Wa
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Actually this is not exclusively a GM8 thing, I had the same issues with Khimera on Game Maker Studio.

What had ended up happening was I guess something at some point on my system changed and it was no longer compatible with some of a DLL's functions. What I did was comment out the creation of those specific external functions (thankfully I never used them) and the game worked fine again.

It is unfortunately not a very good fix, but it's all I've got I'm afraid.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:44 pm 
I, Papyrus, am awesome!
[*]
[*]
[*]
Well, I guess commenting out those lines of codes removed the error messages from obj_menu_title and obj_data_slot, but it still doesn't remove the error I get from obj_sth3_eggrobo. This one is weird for 4 reasons:
1. It refers to an event that doesn't even exist.
2. The room where the error happens does not even have any instance of obj_sth3_eggrobo to begin with
3. The error appears twice in a row in said room, and never again
4. obj_sth3_eggrobo actually works fine, so it does not even have a reason to give an error message in the first place.

What I also support:
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:14 pm 
もう帰らない
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Quote:
I will not accept "unfixable" as an answer!

Game Maker (all versions) is a proprietary program, so if YYG programs it badly or breaks it, there's nothing you can do about it. You're going to either need to accept that or stop depending on these programs. I chose the latter option. If you want to try the latter option, Godot Engine is a good choice from what I've seen. Construct Classic is another possible option.

Quote:
there is a reason I don't use GMS, and that's called "corruption of project files". No chance in hell I will ever put my project files in danger.

That's a very odd reason to prefer GM8. I don't know if GMS corrupts project files, but I know that GM8 does (as do previous versions). The interpreter is able to run corrupted games, so you don't notice it, but it does happen, mostly whenever you delete a resource. This corruption makes it impossible for ENIGMA to successfully compile the game, and from what I've heard GMS can't compile these corrupted files either (and a legacy interpreter has to be used).

[zz]
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:59 pm 
I, Papyrus, am awesome!
[*]
[*]
[*]
Well, I never delete resources in the first place (I only overwrite old unused data with new used data, but I never delete anything), but even then GMS is highly unstable.

And again, the engine I'm working on is for GM8 and not for GMS. So telling me to use GMS instead of GM8 will not solve the problem, but instead create new ones.

What I also support:
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:36 pm 
もう帰らない
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Maybe you should start over and not use that engine this time, then. Cut your losses. Continuing to use an old, unmaintained proprietary program is a losing battle, anyway.

[zz]
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:42 pm 
I, Papyrus, am awesome!
[*]
[*]
[*]
onpon4 wrote:
Maybe you should start over and not use that engine this time, then.

That's out of question! Especially since GMate is the only good engine for the type of game I need.

Seriously, I want help, and not people that tell me to use something different instead. Is it so hard to understand?!

What I also support:
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:04 pm 
もう帰らない
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Quote:
GMate is the only good engine for the type of game I need.

Then maybe you should make a new one.

Quote:
Seriously, I want help, and not people that tell me to use something different instead. Is it so hard to understand?!

My crystal ball is cloudy, so I can only work with whatever information I have. All I know is that you've got some kind of error that wasn't resolved when you stopped using the DLLs as suggested by Syaxamaphone. Or alternatively, you didn't actually stop using the DLLs. Either way, your entire problem is caused by a dependence on some component you have no control over, so you have two options:

1. Beg whoever has control over that component to help you.
2. Stop using that component (which means starting over, from the sound of it).

Look, I'm sympathetic. It sucks when something breaks through no fault of your own. That's why I started avoiding proprietary software. But screaming at other people to help you is going to accomplish nothing if they just can't do so.

[zz]
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:22 pm 
I, Papyrus, am awesome!
[*]
[*]
[*]
onpon4 wrote:
Quote:
GMate is the only good engine for the type of game I need.

Then maybe you should make a new one.

Sadly, that's outside my coding skills. I know that because I actually tried to code my own engine for a different kind of game almost from scratch, and I never finished it. And that game was trying to imitate the physics from a simpler game. I, however, need an engine with perfect Sonic physics for this kind of game, and that's even harder to code. So yeah, that's definitely outside my coding skills.
onpon4 wrote:
Quote:

My crystal ball is cloudy, so I can only work with whatever information I have. All I know is that you've got some kind of error that wasn't resolved when you stopped using the DLLs as suggested by Syaxamaphone. Or alternatively, you didn't actually stop using the DLLs. Either way, your entire problem is caused by a dependence on some component you have no control over, so you have two options:

1. Beg whoever has control over that component to help you.
2. Stop using that component (which means starting over, from the sound of it).

Look, I'm sympathetic. It sucks when something breaks through no fault of your own. That's why I started avoiding proprietary software. But screaming at other people to help you is going to accomplish nothing if they just can't do so.

Ugh...sorry if I sounded rude...it's just so aggrivating that it did not give the errors before and only gives them now...
Like, I am literally out of ideas now.
Really, the only thing I want is this nonsensical error that shouldn't appear in the first place to finally disappear without being forced to look for a different engine that definitely will be inferior to the current engine in every possible way...

What I also support:
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:02 pm 
I, Papyrus, am awesome!
[*]
[*]
[*]
UPDATE!

Okay, so I was FINALLY able to determine what the problem was with obj_sth3_eggrobo and its errors: They actually belonged to scr_game_initialization, which is being called by the room's creation code.

I was also able to determine which DLL is causing the problem: Protect.DLL

So yeah, appearantly, saves still work, but I cannot protect them anymore. Well, that only means that I now also have to commented out the saves' protection calls as well, so I can save unprotected game progress and options...not really optimal, but I honestly expected worse.

So yeah, in the meanwhile, I guess I can comment out all the Protect.DLL calls (although doing that would be tedious as crud, but whatever).
However, I actually would be glad if someone could help me figure out why Protect.DLL is being so uncooperative. Did anyone else had any expierience with that DLL, perhaps? If yes, then I would be glad if said someone could become vocal now. :agree:

What I also support:
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:30 pm 
もう帰らない
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
I don't know about Protect.DLL, but you could of course use a custom encryption scheme. Just make a text string, encrypt it, and save it to a text file. Do the opposite when you load it. Not that I think it's a worthwhile thing to do, anyway. If a game is so unfun that someone would rather cheat by editing a text file than play through it fairly, I consider that to be a problem with the game's design.

[zz]
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:38 pm 
I, Papyrus, am awesome!
[*]
[*]
[*]
onpon4 wrote:
I don't know about Protect.DLL, but you could of course use a custom encryption scheme. Just make a text string, encrypt it, and save it to a text file. Do the opposite when you load it. Not that I think it's a worthwhile thing to do, anyway. If a game is so unfun that someone would rather cheat by editing a text file than play through it fairly, I consider that to be a problem with the game's design.

I don't want to encrypt it because of that, I only want to encrypt it so the game wont screw up if someone screws around with the data to produce garbage.
Since the game depends on the data big time (options read from the saved options file directly, while the data slot read the current progress and at what zone you're currently in, and that data is used to display the correct icon in the data slot as well as other things).

What I also support:
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:28 pm 
もう帰らない
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
I wouldn't worry about that at all. If an error happens, just say "you shouldn't have tried to cheat". :) Then just tell them to delete the save file and start over.

[zz]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:19 pm 
I, Papyrus, am awesome!
[*]
[*]
[*]
Hmm...fair enough. However, I'm also afraid that it might happen again to another DLL. So yeah, looking what the problem is is definitely not high priority now, but I think I should still occasionally try to figure it out...

What I also support:
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
 [ 20 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic