[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

This is the first U.S. presidential election cycle since 2004 - a dark age back when my programming knowledge was near nil - that I haven't made at least one political parody fangame. I'm sure that every single one of you was eagerly awaiting a sequel to Darunia-Saria 2008, a creative but sloppily-executed game that poked fun at the Obama vs. McCain election; Darunia-Saria 2012, a better but rushed game that about three people played; and Hablo: The Game, a game about a forum troll and Mitt Romney. I suppose you could say that politics plays a role in a large percentage of my games, although political themes are central only to the games listed above.

I started a 2016 political game, but there's not much to show. Since Election Day is just two days away, and I'm working/studying all day tomorrow, I won't be able to finish it in time for the election. There's little point in releasing a game about the election after the election has happened, so I'm dropping off the concept just in case anyone wants to do something with any of my ideas.

Since it's a new election with a new cast of characters, I wanted the starring characters to be different from the previous games as well. Instead of a Zelda 64 theme, Dustin and I were talking about going with a Skyward Sword theme - Groose-Strich 2016. Now that I think about it, the actual playable characters aren't a major piece of my proposed plot, and a character select theme might've worked out.

In this game, you'd be able to choose your political party. I'm sure that the Neo-Whig and LPTA parties would be available for selection again, as well as other excellent upstart parties like the Groose Party, the Cheerwine Party, and above all, the Walrus Party. Your choice of party will only affect the color of the gyms you control.

I had a hard time coming up with a good framework for the gameplay. This contentious campaign has given me no shortage of themes to parody - Hillary's e-mails, Trump's wall, Benghazi, baskets of deplorables, and so on. What I decided to do was to make a parody of Pokemon Go, another theme that has occupied everyone's thoughts for a good chunk of the year.

This concept is a scaled-down parody of Pokemon Go. The overworld map would be a map of the United States. You'd roam the map collecting "Election Monsters" (Electimon) based on political themes - for example, Hillarymail, Trumpwall, DeplorableBasket, and so on. Some Electimon are more common in different areas - Rainbowflag is especially common around San Francisco, Battleflag mostly appears in the South, and Fracker is exclusive to areas of heavy oil production. Some Electimon are capable of evolving into stronger Electimon species if you win enough battles. Since it's not feasible for GM-made games to interact with users' webcams in augmented reality mode, the battle backgrounds would consist of extremely ridiculous photos that I've taken in recent times.

Each state has an Electimon Gym that you want to claim for your party. I was going to use a random number generator to assign each gym to the Republican and Democratic parties (with a very small chance of the Libertarians or Greens claiming a state). You would have to use your Electimon to take control over each gym - or at least enough gyms to receive enough electoral votes to win the election.

The odds of me making this game are about the odds of Evan McMullin winning this year's election. But if anyone really likes this idea, do what you want with it.

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
 [ 1 post ]  Reply to topicPost new topic