[ 13 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 
 [us]
 Post subject: So I'm a new developer and I want some advice on developing
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:33 pm 
Noob Developer
So I'm learning right now how to create stuff in Gamemaker Studio since i got in in the Humble Bundle and I wanted some advice on what types of games would be a good place to start.

I plan on making a game that's a roguelike with the mario rpg combat style, is it better to wait on doing a project like that and do something smaller first? :confused:

[ca]
 Post subject: Re: So I'm a new developer and I want some advice on develop
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:19 pm 
следующая игра скоро будет
Dairy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Definitely wait. Your best bet is to start out small and work your way up in complexity. Maybe try and create a simple minigame?

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:20 pm 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Roguelike with Mario RPG combat is quite a mouthful. It's definitely too big for a beginner, if you've never written code before.
The best place to start would probably be the official tutorials.

Cliax Codec is a combination of top-down and third-person shooter. The gameplay will blend platforming, puzzle and shmup elements together to create a unique gameplay experience. You will take control of four playable characters which rise against a team that seemingly wants to take over the world - but are their motives really that cliché, or are there deeper motives behind their actions?

Currently designing Chapter 1-6, 5%

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[es]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:40 pm 
I'm just a little adorable kitty :3
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Check these out!

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:06 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
If you are just learning how to use some game-making program, I think you would definitely be better off waiting for doing something complex, work on something small, and work your way up from there. Learn about some of the basics of the program, and then take the next step by learning about some of the more advanced things of the program.

As DJ Coco said, one of the best ways to start would getting yourself tutorials of the program you are using, like the ones that (should) come with Game Maker, ones that can be found in the How-Tos section in the MFGG main site, tutorials that can be found in the topic GateteVerde linked to, and many more that can be found all over the internet.

For any more info on game-making, this should be worth checking out. It may have an outdated link or two, but it should be still useful.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:04 pm 
[*]
Making a roguelike for your first program? Easy! That's something I see a lot and I'm doing it myself. Roguelikes are a good place to start because they're easy to break up into bite-sized chunks. Even if you don't finish it, you can still learn a lot from doing map-generation, a battle system or a bunch of item interactions.

But Mario RPG combat? Eugh...kinda shooting yourself in the foot on that one. If we're talking about M&L or Paper Mario, I don't even know how you'd approach making that. You'd need a way to program all of the different actions and enemy attacks, and at that point you'd probably need an entire scripting system. I really would not attempt something that complex for your first project.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:49 pm 
Always have Jason Voorhees in your sig
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Maybe for your first game try pong.

In fact, maybe try pong, then frogger, then pacman. You learn very important concepts from finding out how these three games work. Several applications for collisions, moving with input, separating movement from input, etc.

Image Image
Bibby Team | MFGG3 Github

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:16 pm 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Don't let your first game be an RPG. That's going to involve some really complex systems, and you will definitely need to have a fairly deep understanding of Game Maker before you can tackle that.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:11 am 
Space wife
[*]
rpgs... good genre, one of the most complicated things to program. There are many many elements in rpgs that are upset from various variebles, minium and maxium damage, modifications to said damage, enemies resistances and defenses against said damage, how levels are affected between characters, skills, and enemies, and any other source of battle customization that might be added via something like a badge system, or mods.

For a beginner, there is nothing more complicated then an rpg, its a programming nightmare, and rpg making programes such as the later rpg maker variations are still loaded with limitations. So with that said, yeah agreeing with others here, you need experince before starting an rpg PERIOD. Let alone a mario rpg like paper mario or super star saga, even a more basic rpg type like final fantasy 1 or dragon warrior can be a daunting task in general, its not just the battle system and customization, but thers more that makes a rpg good.

It's best you start on a platformer, or maybe an adveture like game(like zelda would be easier). Rpgs are massive and filled with variety in a lot of cases, so making a good one will probably drain the hell out of you so, take it easy, build up experince and level u- i mean create easier basic games first.

[gb]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:42 pm 
Just cooking food for my Yoshi.
[*]
[*]
Don't use D&D.

Sure, while it may help you get something done quickly, your code would become a mess and you can't decipher the code very much. Make sure that you comment your code (for GM use "//", for Python use "#"). It would help you get things done easier with more flexibility and a better game overall. By the way, don't start with a complex engine like Hello's engine. I recommend basic tutorials, start off with tutorials like those from GM community manager Shaun Spalding, or from WreckingGoomba if you are a little more advanced.

If I were to give you a rating, it would be -1 out of 10.
Don't forget!
scaled image

mfgg is bad i hate it cuz meiro is totes terre sonac IS betar!!

My Gaming forum, called "The Gamer's Castle"!

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:54 pm 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
SMBXfan wrote:
Don't use D&D.

Sure, while it may help you get something done quickly, your code would become a mess and you can't decipher the code very much.

That's not really fair. While GML is much better and more versatile, D&D is great for beginners, and teaches the principals of coding which are very important later on. The most significant difference between GML and D&D is honestly just the "relative" checkbox in actions that involve xy coordinates. D&D isn't hard to read (assuming it's organized properly), and it's often even easier to understand than GML.

User page at mfgg.net

[gb]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:03 pm 
Just cooking food for my Yoshi.
[*]
[*]
Willsaber wrote:
That's not really fair. While GML is much better and more versatile, D&D is great for beginners, and teaches the principals of coding which are very important later on. The most significant difference between GML and D&D is honestly just the "relative" checkbox in actions that involve xy coordinates. D&D isn't hard to read (assuming it's organized properly), and it's often even easier to understand than GML.

Getting the grasp of coding early on would help others to become better coders. However, I personally used D&D before, and it was hard making a game with that, even as a GML beginner. (Now I could make a basic 3D FPS effortlessly.)

Still we need to start small, and keep commenting. I regret discouraging D&D.

If I were to give you a rating, it would be -1 out of 10.
Don't forget!
scaled image

mfgg is bad i hate it cuz meiro is totes terre sonac IS betar!!

My Gaming forum, called "The Gamer's Castle"!

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:38 pm 
Noob Developer
:D thank you everyone for your suggestions and advice! I planned on making a platformer and even had some really good ideas for one. But somewhere along the way i got really ticked off from how horribly nintendo is treating the Paper Mario franchise and i wanted to make the type of game that fans of that series would love. I realise though that developing a game like that would require experience, a lot of it. So I will listen to you guys and start with the small stuff and not overwhelm myself before i even get to make any games. Once again thank you all for the advice you are definitely some of the most supportive people i have ever seen :D

« Previous topic | Next topic »
 [ 13 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic