[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
YoYoGames released a bunch of videos showcasing the new GMS 2.
https://www.youtube.com/user/yoyogamesltd

The idiots however messed up the link to the beta download. Gotta replace the http with https. I didn't try it out for myself yet.

The IDE finally looks clean and professional - about time. As I had suspected, the tree like structure shown in the first screenshot YoYo released of GMS 2 indeed proved to be the new D&D - which is a very neat change, especially if you like visual coding. You can also convert D&D to GML, though the generated code shown off in one of their videos looks absolutely awful. I'm really bummed about the changes made to GML - as there are basically none. GML would've been in dire need of structs and datatypes, but seems like we're not getting them.

They seem to have put a lot of emphasis on the new image editor, giving it a Photoshop-esque feel now. Not sure why as I don't think a lot of people would use it, as it still doesn't look like it'd come close to the quality of a real professional graphics program, which most people would likely prefer to use instead if they're serious about making graphics. The new tileset editor looks great, though, and I'm happy GMS finally supports animated tiles and even comes with a built-in autotiling algorithm.

The room editor also saw some major changes, now finally allowing layer-based editing. Granted, that should be a standard in 2016 and not something you should have to point out, but it's still a thing GMS lacked so far and I'm glad it's there now.

I will say however, that I'm not going to spend any money on this thing unless the price isn't as exaggeratedly high as GMS 1's, and it comes with support for the Switch and/or 3DS.

EDIT: The thing will cost $99.99, and you get a 40% discount if you possess the pro edition of v1.x, and a 50% discount if you own the master collection.

Cliax Codec is a combination of top-down and third-person shooter. The gameplay will blend platforming, puzzle and shmup elements together to create a unique gameplay experience. You will take control of four playable characters which rise against a team that seemingly wants to take over the world - but are their motives really that cliché, or are there deeper motives behind their actions?

Currently designing Chapter 1-6, 5%

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
 Post subject: Re: GameMaker Studio 2
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:47 pm 
Obscure MFGGer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
I have a pro license that I got for free from yoyo for GMS 1. I may take advantage of the discount if I can get a hold of the beta. I may dabble in the image editor. It looks pretty cool. Especially since viewing the animations you make seems to be a whole lot more intuitive. Automatic tiling brushes and animated tiles are the stuff of dreams. Now I don't have to create individual objects for animated background objects.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:55 pm 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Yeah, it comes with some pretty great stuff. Especially the new tileset and room editors look fantastic.

I just found out the mobile export costs $400 though. That's a bit very steep - even for me owning the master license that'd bring the total to a $250. Oh well - I'll gladly invest in this thing if it can provide Nintendo support. I assume YoYo once again is trying but Nintendo is remaining stubborn about it, as was the case with the Wii U and 3DS previously.

Cliax Codec is a combination of top-down and third-person shooter. The gameplay will blend platforming, puzzle and shmup elements together to create a unique gameplay experience. You will take control of four playable characters which rise against a team that seemingly wants to take over the world - but are their motives really that cliché, or are there deeper motives behind their actions?

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:00 pm 
I hate yellow balls of consumption.
[S]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Man, the code drag n' drop auto-generates for you looks like a disaster. I know I'm not going to use it anyway so I guess there's no harm done.

If the end product optimizes games better than Studio 1 then I'll most likely pick it up.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:25 pm 
"I am one valuable card"
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Not really surprised that it showed up when I'm on the search for something.

It might seem pretty worth paying for.

NNID: SonicZetrex
User: SonicZetrx

Old Drawing Banners

Spoiler:

Things I support/others

Spoiler:

My favorite theme:

User page at mfgg.net

[gb]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:11 pm 
Just cooking food for my Yoshi.
[*]
[*]
GM Studio 2 maybe the most advanced version of GM to date. Even from the room editor it is drastic change.

If I were to give you a rating, it would be -1 out of 10.
Don't forget!
scaled image

mfgg is bad i hate it cuz meiro is totes terre sonac IS betar!!

My Gaming forum, called "The Gamer's Castle"!

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:19 am 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
The new layer system looks like it will make building isometric environments sooooooo much easier. That alone might make it worth me learning the new tool. The beta has been really hard for me to get into, since the interface is so radically different.

User page at mfgg.net

[br]
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:56 am 
I Have Returned®
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
this is great and all, but i wonder if it will be backwards compatible with GM Studio 1 projects

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:59 am 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
It's known already you can import GMS 1.4 projects and GMS 2.0 will automatically replace the obsolete functions.
There's no legacy support though (GM 8 and below).

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:46 pm 
I, Papyrus, am awesome!
[*]
[*]
[*]
Does GMS2 finally remove the project corruption issue that GMS1 has?

What I also support:
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[gb]
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:38 pm 
Just cooking food for my Yoshi.
[*]
[*]
TrinitroMan wrote:
Does GMS2 finally remove the project corruption issue that GMS1 has?

I hope so. And I hope GM:S2 will work with Windows XP.

If I were to give you a rating, it would be -1 out of 10.
Don't forget!
scaled image

mfgg is bad i hate it cuz meiro is totes terre sonac IS betar!!

My Gaming forum, called "The Gamer's Castle"!

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:53 pm 
The Quantifiably Quip-tic QC Dude
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
A bit of old news to some of you, but the beta version of Game Maker Studio 2 is actually available to purchase right now. It gives you full access to the product, and you'll be able to use it without limits even after it officially launches.

More info here.

Image Refs - Something new's gonna show up here, I just know it! - DeviantArt - YouTubeImage
???!, 10%

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:25 pm 
[*]
2016. Still no proper audio loop points.

Hello? Is this program seriously trying to compete with Unity and Unreal? I can't even loop my audio without having to separate the intro and the loop into two separate audio files?

[at]
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:55 am 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Hmm, yes, that would indeed be an adequate feature to have nowadays.
I'd already be glad if the stuff that is already in actually worked for once. For instance, the function telling you the orientation of your phone is entirely broken on Android (not sure if that's still the case in GMS2 but it was in 1.x)

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:38 pm 
Your local psychic.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Physix wrote:
2016. Still no proper audio loop points.

Hello? Is this program seriously trying to compete with Unity and Unreal? I can't even loop my audio without having to separate the intro and the loop into two separate audio files?

Especially after all the effort they went to with their sprite editor and how much they talked about how great it was.

Why can't we get that same effort in other parts of the program that clearly needed it more?

Falcon Punch is the result of the Sun heating fists. It drives the Blue Falcon. Heating causes destruction of water into the pain, where it then hurts, creating rain. Rain creates flowing water in tears, which can then be converted into other forms through more pain.

scaled image
Mario's Sticker Stage - Finished adding Jump Stickers!, 26%

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:58 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Physix wrote:

Actually, you can- and it's been around for a while. The functions audio_sound_get_track_position() and audio_sound_set_track_position() can accomplish this.

Image Refs - Something new's gonna show up here, I just know it! - DeviantArt - YouTubeImage
???!, 10%

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:21 pm 
[*]
Mr. Yoshbert wrote:
Physix wrote:

Actually, you can- and it's been around for a while. The functions audio_sound_get_track_position() and audio_sound_set_track_position() can accomplish this.

Those functions are trash. The audio system runs at a constant pace unlike the game. If the game lags during the end of a song, the track_get_position function has a chance of registering far after the song has already looped back to the beginning. It only takes 1 or 2 missed frames for this to happen. Adding a 2 or 3 frame buffer to account for lag makes the audio loop too early at normal speed. Dragging or resizing the game window also stops this function from executing. Audio looping should be resource based and done from within the audio thread, not some object's step event.

[at]
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:29 pm 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I don't think Game Maker has any sort of multithreading.

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:39 pm 
Watashi Wa
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Yeah, audio_sound_get_track_position() and audio_sound_set_track_position() is not a reliable way to achieve what Physix is trying to do. There are too many things you can do to stop the game process while the moment its checking for passes by.

As for GMS2, there's a lot of things yoyo has done in the past that I am not fond of, so I doubt I'll upgrade right away.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:00 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Ah, duly noted.

But that being said, with GMS2 being still very early in development, I'm sure they'll fine-tune the audio system (as well as other parts of the tool) somewhere down the line.

???!, 10%

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 27 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic