Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next  [ 816 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 
Coding Help, Questions and Issues relating to coding
 [zz]
 Post subject: Re: Coding Help
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:59 am 
I, Papyrus, am awesome!
[*]
[*]
[*]
Oh my god, I didn't even knew yprevious is a valid variable! :huh: o_O
That was actually exactly what I had in mind, but didn't knew how to save the previous y position. Now that I know that yprevious is valid, I can finally do my original idea, and it really worked, so thank you very much (now waits for a response at VG-Resource).

What I also support:
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:33 am 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Even if yprevious wasn't a built-in variable, you could still make it yourself by just setting the value at a time it becomes outdated in the next frame.
For instance:

//All movement-related code here
yprevious = y;
y += yspeed;

As you could see, yprevious will always be outdated by the time all the movement is calculated, because it's set just before the actual y-value is changed.

I know you don't need it now, but I'm just saying. After all, you probably won't have as many built-in variables that are easy to replicate by the user in other game engines if you ever switch.

Cliax Codec is a combination of top-down and third-person shooter. The gameplay will blend platforming, puzzle and shmup elements together to create a unique gameplay experience. You will take control of four playable characters which rise against a team that seemingly wants to take over the world - but are their motives really that cliché, or are there deeper motives behind their actions?

Currently designing Chapter 1-6, 5%

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[fi]
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:40 am 
:3c
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I'm having problems with saving the screen on a surface in GMS. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

objPause create event:
Code:
paused = false;

surf = surface_create(view_wview,view_hview);

Step event:
Code:
if keyboard_check_pressed(vk_escape)
{
    if paused = false
    {
        //background
        surface_set_target(surf);
        bg = background_create_from_surface(bg,view_xview[0],view_yview[0],view_wview[0],view_hview[0],1,0);
        surface_reset_target();

instance_deactivate_all(true);
        paused = true;
    }
    else
    {
        instance_activate_all();
        paused = false;
        background_delete(bg);
    }
}

and the draw event:
Code:
if paused
{
    draw_background(bg,view_xview,view_yview);
    draw_text(view_xview+10,view_yview+10,"PAUSE");
}

I might be doing something out of order. I don't know, I'm not that good with surfaces.

My signature is very empty now that I've removed the advertising. :(

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:27 pm 
Lucario and/or Braixen = best avatar
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Edit: NVM fixed it lol. I was drawing the surface too small and at the wrong coordinates :v

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Fangame(s) I support:
Spoiler:

You can find me on:
Image Image Image Image Image

These are my Smashers of choice:

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:35 am 
C# Programmer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
@Catonator I think you have to have the surface set/resets in the draw event, not the step event.

Focus on the performance, the idea, not the technical bits or details - Milt Kahl

[fi]
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:33 am 
:3c
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

It doesn't work even then. The sprite is created and surface is working, is just isn't drawn. Replacing my own surface with application_surface works properly, but the screen is super zoomed in for some reason.

My signature is very empty now that I've removed the advertising. :(

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:32 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Hm, first of all, I think the surface should be created in the Step event (which, it should be created before the surface sets target) rather than the Create event. Then, when the game is unpaused, you should add this line somewhere in the bracket that contains the unpausing code in the Step event:

Code:
surface_free ( surf );

Finally, I think you should add the following line somewhere inside the bracket in the Draw event:

Code:
draw_surface ( surf, 0, 0 );

User page at mfgg.net

[gb]
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:01 pm 
How could I make a line of objects following each other, so each object follows the one in front of it? Like the eggs in Yoshi's Island?

[tr]
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:30 am 
Thanks DonnieTheGuy!
Administrator
[A]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Jeorge535 wrote:
How could I make a line of objects following each other, so each object follows the one in front of it? Like the eggs in Yoshi's Island?

I think Friendly Dictator (or someone else) has a tutorial of this on the main site.
EDIT: http://www.mfgg.net/index.php?act=resdb ... 4&id=30094

[gb]
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:41 pm 
Mors wrote:
Jeorge535 wrote:

I think Friendly Dictator (or someone else) has a tutorial of this on the main site.
EDIT: http://www.mfgg.net/index.php?act=resdb ... 4&id=30094

I saw this tutorial, expect the 'objects' in this tutorial are not actually objects in Game Maker, but sprites which are drawn in the draw event of the 'leader' object. In my game, I've got an object called obj_egg_following for the followers How can I set it so each instance of obj_egg_following follows the one in front of it, then the first one follows Yoshi? Sorry I'm basically asking the same question again, I should've been more specific.

[zz]
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:56 pm 
[*]
Jeorge535 wrote:

I don't know how it would be implemented in GML (I've only used Python and C++), but here's some pseudocode of how I would do it:
Code:
When loading level:
   Create a bunch of egg objects at coordinates x,y.
   Create a list of coordinates called coordinate_list.
   Add the coordinates of the first egg to every index in coordinate_list.

While level is running:
   Update the position of the first egg.
   Shift all of the values in coordinate_list right once. The first index is now empty.
   Add the coordinates of the first egg to coordinate_list[0].
   Update the coordinates of the 2nd egg to be, for example, coordinate_list[16].
   Update the coordinates of the 3rd egg to be, for example, coordinate_list[32].
   Repeat for all eggs in a for loop.

Basically, every time you update the position of your 1st egg you move the 2nd egg to where the first one was 16 updates ago. If you repeat this for all of your eggs, they will line up and follow the path the first egg took. You only do the movement calculations for the first egg and the rest follow its trail. If the 1st egg is moving towards Yoshi's position, the rest follow and eventually converge on him like in Yoshi's Island. If you used coordinate_list[8] and coordinate_list[16] to control the trailing eggs, for example, they would follow each other a lot more closely.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:28 pm 
[*]
Jeorge535, I got your PM asking for more clarification. I'll go ahead and leave my answer here so that other people can benefit from it. Nobody likes searching for an answer online and having it disappear into privacy. :laugh:

Code:
Does GML have some kind of array? When I mentioned coordinate_list, I was talking about making a data structure that looks like this:

[(0, 0), (0, 0), (0, 0), (0, 0), (0, 0), (0, 0), (0, 0), (0, 0)]

So let me walk you through this more visually. When Yoshi enters the map, you spawn a bunch of eggs at a coordinate like (3, 2), yes? The first step is to fill your entire array with those values:

[(3, 2), (3, 2), (3, 2), (3, 2), (3, 2), (3, 2), (3, 2), (3, 2)]

Yoshi then moves, and the first egg object moves towards him. Let's say it moves to (4, 2). So first you shift all of the values in coordinate_list right one index...

[(0, 0), (3, 2), (3, 2), (3, 2), (3, 2), (3, 2), (3, 2), (3, 2)]

And then you add the new coordinates to index 0.

[(4, 2), (3, 2), (3, 2), (3, 2), (3, 2), (3, 2), (3, 2), (3, 2)]

The 1st egg moves to index 0, the 2nd egg moves to index 3, the 3rd egg moves to index 6, etc. At this point, the 1st egg has moved and the rest are still at (3,2). Now, we keep moving the first egg and updating the list like so...

Egg 1                    Egg 2                   Egg 3
[(4, 2), (3, 2), (3, 2), (3, 2), (3, 2), (3, 2), (3, 2), (3, 2)]
[(6, 3), (4, 2), (3, 2), (3, 2), (3, 2), (3, 2), (3, 2), (3, 2)]
[(7, 4), (6, 3), (4, 2), (3, 2), (3, 2), (3, 2), (3, 2), (3, 2)]
[(8, 5), (7, 4), (6, 3), (4, 2), (3, 2), (3, 2), (3, 2), (3, 2)]

Notice how now, the coordinates (4,2) are at index 3 aka coordinate_list[3]. Egg 2 will move to (4,2), which is where Egg 1 was three frames ago. And once Egg 1 updates its position 3 more times, Egg 3 will move to (4,2). The result is that you do movement calculations for Egg 1 while Egg 2 and Egg 3 follow the same path a few frames later. Keep in mind, this is just an example. The list doesn't have to be 8 indexes long and you don't need to use index 3 and index 6 for your eggs. If you use much larger values like a 64-long list with indexes 8 and 16, the eggs will space out more and look better.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:33 pm 
AKA the Greenish Hero
[*]
How do I make an object constantly move itself directly between two other objects? For example, how do I make Obj_C stay between Obj_A and Obj_B at all times regardless of how A and B moves around?

Click it and you'll live forever!

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:01 pm 
もう帰らない
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
With a simple mathematical formula that goes something like this:

Code:
c.x = min(a.x, b.x) + abs(a.x - b.x) / 2
c.y = min(a.y, b.y) + abs(a.y - b.y) / 2

[zz]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:55 am 
[*]
Hey, guys! I've been learning C++ for the past few months and I have question. Instead of my current project, I've decided to practice with something simpler like a Mario game. So, what is the approach most programmers take when implementing interactive tiles? Question Mark blocks you can hit, springs you can jump on, spikes that damage you, etc. I have 2 ideas of how I could implement those.

Solution 1: Tiles are integers.
I have a Level object filled with a grid of integers representing each tile. Whenever Mario collides with a tile, I go through an enormous switch statement checking the integer. If it's 0, he collides. If 1, he takes damage. If 2, he hit a brick block. Etc etc etc. Obviously, this has the drawback of requiring another switch case every time I add a new type of tile.

Solution 2: Tiles are inherited objects.
I have a Level object filled with a grid of Tile objects. All Tile objects have an activate() function. Each type of tile (i.e. Ladder, Brick, Spike) inherits from the Tile object and has its own virtual activate() function. Whenever Mario hits a tile, it calls that tile's activate() and it responds accordingly. This method seems better than the switch statement, but requires a new inherited class for each tile added.

Alternatively, there could be a ton of approaches I don't know about. I don't know how the actual Mario games implement tile interactions, for instance.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:55 pm 
C# Programmer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
I prefer a more entity component based system where batches of input data are transformed into output data. Entities are the result of related data affecting eachother. For your case:

1)Update and store all tile collision data
2)Categorize data by output (applies damage, shows items, causes upward velocity(springs), etc)
3a)Foreach damage tile, apply damage to victims (player, enemies, etc)
3b)Foreach item tile, show an item (Mystery blocks)
3c)Foreach velocity change tile, apply it (springs)

Note that you don't necessarily need a player object to apply damage or velocity to. For damage, you just need the health. For velocity, you just need the physics object. By only using the necessary data, you avoid unnecessary coupling and the systems become more flexible. For example, you could create lava using the above by tagging the tile data as damaging and changing velocity (Mario jumping up due to lava damage), speed boost pads instead of just jump spring, and note blocks too.

Focus on the performance, the idea, not the technical bits or details - Milt Kahl

[aq]
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:23 pm 
Obey.
[*]
[*]
Hey, guys! I've been learning C++ for the past few months and I have question. Instead of my current project, I've decided to practice with something simpler like a Mario game. So, what is the approach most programmers take when implementing interactive tiles? Question Mark blocks you can hit, springs you can jump on, spikes that damage you, etc. I have 2 ideas of how I could implement those.

Solution 1: Tiles are integers.
I have a Level object filled with a grid of integers representing each tile. Whenever Mario collides with a tile, I go through an enormous switch statement checking the integer. If it's 0, he collides. If 1, he takes damage. If 2, he hit a brick block. Etc etc etc. Obviously, this has the drawback of requiring another switch case every time I add a new type of tile.

Solution 2: Tiles are inherited objects.
I have a Level object filled with a grid of Tile objects. All Tile objects have an activate() function. Each type of tile (i.e. Ladder, Brick, Spike) inherits from the Tile object and has its own virtual activate() function. Whenever Mario hits a tile, it calls that tile's activate() and it responds accordingly. This method seems better than the switch statement, but requires a new inherited class for each tile added.

Alternatively, there could be a ton of approaches I don't know about. I don't know how the actual Mario games implement tile interactions, for instance.

Keep the tiles in a contigous array (like the former solution). Minecraft used to hold tile-maps in an array of 2-byte elements. The first byte is the tile ID, and the lower half of the second byte is the tile state (specific data based on tile ID). The drawback with this approach is that some tiles only need one tile state. Minecraft now holds tile-maps in an array of 2-byte elements, where each tile state has a unique tile ID. This is better since it allows some tiles to have more states than other tiles, which leaves more room for more tile IDs.

For entity-tile interaction, order of updates matter (ex. see the above post).

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:03 pm 
[*]
Funny you guys would mention that. I've actually learned rather recently about data-driven Entity Component systems. It's a really hard concept for me to wrap my head around but it's supposedly cache-friendly and easily expandable. I'll be giving it a shot and reporting back if I have any issues.

DarkBlueYoshi, that's pretty interesting. I always figured Minecraft used such a lightweight system since it has to handle so many loaded blocks.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:30 pm 
i was hoping if anyone could give me some help at game-coding? never tried, so don't know any game coding language. kinda half decent at html but that's about it

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWhEB2 ... EAVCeLF-vg

[at]
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:43 pm 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
ollydgaming wrote:
i was hoping if anyone could give me some help at game-coding? never tried, so don't know any game coding language. kinda half decent at html but that's about it
Well, I recommend you either start with GameMaker: Studio or Unity. They both have large userbases, lots of tutorials, and are among the easiest to get into for beginners. Here's some pros and cons so you can decide which one fits your needs better:

GameMaker: Studio
Pros
  • Easy game creation for 2D games
  • Custom coding language GML which takes aspects from object-oriented programming languages and makes it more accessible for beginners
  • Very fast prototyping
Cons
  • Very limited to no 3D functionality
  • Inefficient and slow
  • Can teach bad coding habits
  • Buggy IDE

Unity
Pros
  • Uses C# and JavaScript which are also used professionally
  • Very stable, userfriendly and flexible IDE
  • More convenient to do complex tasks in (networking, shaders, ...)
  • Perfect for 3D
Cons
  • Somewhat inconvenient to use for 2D
  • While free, the pro version can only be obtained via a subscription (afaik)

I will refrain from saying which one I prefer (though people who know me know what it is anyway). Just trying to give a brief overview on these two game engines, as they're likely the ones of the most interest to you.

Cliax Codec is a combination of top-down and third-person shooter. The gameplay will blend platforming, puzzle and shmup elements together to create a unique gameplay experience. You will take control of four playable characters which rise against a team that seemingly wants to take over the world - but are their motives really that cliché, or are there deeper motives behind their actions?

Currently designing Chapter 1-6, 5%

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next  [ 816 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic