This is official artwork
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
What is the best way to learn how to program? The best way I learned so far was by asking for help about specific problems in my projects, but the process is slow for me and it takes me a quiet a few times to remember lines of code by heart. So it would be nice if someone could give me some tips on how to learn how to program effectively.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
 Post subject: Re: Best way to learn how to program
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:51 am 
Always have Jason Voorhees in your sig
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

This is a tricky question.

I literally don't remember how I learned to program haha. It was a slow, arduous process of me finding code that did what I wanted and copy/pasting it, then sometimes modifying it a little, then learning to re-write parts that I modified a lot, and etc etc.

Part of the reason it was so slow and arduous was because I learned so backwards. I took the magic code and slowly began to see it for what it was. The way that you're "supposed" to learn to code is to see code for what it is -- abstract nothingness -- and learn to turn it into magic. That way would be fast, efficient, and arduous.

I don't know how good you are at code so maybe this advice isn't what you're looking for, but maybe consider taking some tutorials for something like Python or Lua or something. The important thing as a programmer is to know how to tackle whatever problems are thrown at you, rather than just knowing how to make a character jump or something.

Image Image
Bibby Team | MFGG3 Github

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:15 pm 
This is official artwork
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Thanks. That is some good advice. But a thing that I was also wondering is what is a better format of learning how to program, through books or video tutorials?

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:30 pm 
Always have Jason Voorhees in your sig
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Codecademy teaches programming in an interactive way, but it's mostly web development.

What I would do is look up a good quality text tutorial, preferably one straight form the people who make the language itself. But that's just how I work. I want to be able to skim a page for the most important information.

Books probably offer a lot of valuable deep-dive information, and videos can be easy to follow. Whichever you prefer.

Image Image
Bibby Team | MFGG3 Github

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:43 pm 
This is official artwork
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Hm. This codecademy reminds me of code.org which I just remember right now. It teaches JavaScript. I tried using a long time ago in school and kinda forgot about it for a while. I think it tought game development due to it teaching me how to move in different directions using angry birds characters. Idk if it tought web development though.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:04 pm 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

If you're in college (or a really good high school, which is rare), you could take an Introduction to Programming class. This isn't necessarily the best (or cheapest, even if it's a community college/junior college) way to learn how to program, but the advantage is they'll start you at the very beginning and teach you all of the fundamentals. If you teach yourself just how to program the things you need to program, it might take you far longer than it should to grasp the importance of things like For loops, arrays, or data structures.

If you like book learning, you could go to Amazon, a bookstore, or your local library and pick up a book on programming in the language of your choice. Start at the beginning of the book, do some of the exercises, try the quizzes, and you'll probably learn stuff.

Online resources like Code.org, Codecademy, W3Schools, or good videos are also worth checking out, of course.

Whichever resource you choose to help you learn, programming is one of those things you learn best by doing.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:03 pm 
[*]
Bucky's programming tutorials.

It's how I started, it's how schools will start you out, and it will never not be my recommendation.

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
 [ 7 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic