Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  [ 59 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 
Author Message
 [ca]
 Post subject: Working on a full 2D recreation of Super Mario 64
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:23 am 
User avatar
Waluigi Time!
Member
[*]
[*]
Introduction

I am new to game making on Game Maker Studio, but WillSaber has been helping me out a lot and teaching me a lot of things. But don't worry, I'm not going to rush this game. I'm not going to publish a Demo of it until I am satisfied with the game. I know this seems way WAY too ambitious for a first project, but I have people helping me along the way so there's no need to make a big deal out of that. Anyways, here are my plans for the game.



Controls

Mario will control like he does in Super Mario World, but the spin jump will be replaced with the ground pound, Mario will have the wall jump and it will function like it does in New Super Mario Bros, he'll also have the rest of his moves from Super Mario 64. I will also give the player the option to create their own controls. The game will also be compatible with Xbox One controllers.



Multiple Playable Characters

Unlike in Super Mario 64 DS, Mario is the character you start off with and you'll need to unlock the other three later in the adventure. Mario plays very much the same way as he did in the original Super Mario 64, with good all-round capabilities, except on speed at running. Only he can perform the Wall Jump. After I finish up Mario's controls, I will go on to make Luigi, Wario, and Yoshi.

Luigi has the same power as Mario, except he moves a bit slower when carrying objects and enemies, but he has the best speed stats and jumping capabilities of the four. He can scuttle jump to briefly slow down on his descents, slowly hovers down from a somersault, rather than a normal backflip, and he can even run on water briefly, due to his light body, and is the fastest at swimming.

Wario has the worst speed stats and jumping capabilities of the four, but he is by far the heaviest and strongest-being able to move faster when carrying objects and enemies, smash through Black Bricks, including other heavy objects. He can also send enemies flying with a single blow. Many people don't see the point in playing as Wario in Super Mario 64 DS. Because other than being able to break black bricks, he's pretty much useless, which is why I'm including his shoulder dash move from the Wario Land games.

Yoshi has decent speed at both running and swimming and is very good at jumping, being able to flutter kick to reach higher places, that the others cannot reach. However, he cannot punch nor kick, slide-attack, consequently cannot grab large objects and enemies, and his ground pound isn't strong enough to break any Brick Blocks or defeat Boos; instead, he can swallow small enemies and turn them into throwable eggs, making him the only character with a projectile attack.

I also plan on having a secret unlockable character for players who 100% the game.



Levels

I will include all levels from both versions of Super Mario 64 with all missions present. However, some of you may remember that Super Mario 64 was planned to have 30 courses in total, but ended up with 15. Now I know I have no knowledge about what those levels would have been like, but I was thinking of adding an extra fourth world containing five brand new courses for people who get all of the stars.

_________________
Don't expect mouth-to-mouth.
 
Top
Offline 
 User page at mfgg.net
 
 [zz]
 Post subject: Re: Working on a full 2D recreation of Super Mario 64
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:55 am 
User avatar
Member
[*]
[*]
Looks promising :thumbsup: Also , for the ground pound , as far i can remember was with : JUMP + Z , so the Z is for ducking , instead of "replace the spin jump with ground pount" for more accurate gameplay you should make "the spin jump button" with Down key , so when you jump and duck (just like the original) it ground pounds
:thumbsup: Good Luck :thumbsup:

 
Top
Offline 
 User page at mfgg.net
 
 [ca]
 Post subject: Re: Working on a full 2D recreation of Super Mario 64
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:32 am 
User avatar
Waluigi Time!
Member
[*]
[*]
No Name wrote:
Looks promising :thumbsup: Also , for the ground pound , as far i can remember was with : JUMP + Z , so the Z is for ducking , instead of "replace the spin jump with ground pount" for more accurate gameplay you should make "the spin jump button" with Down key , so when you jump and duck (just like the original) it ground pounds
:thumbsup: Good Luck :thumbsup:

Hey thanks!

I'm just going to let the player choose their own controls.

_________________
Don't expect mouth-to-mouth.
 
Top
Offline 
 User page at mfgg.net
 
 [us]
 Post subject: Re: Working on a full 2D recreation of Super Mario 64
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:40 pm 
User avatar
Just that RANDOM GUY!
Member
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Doesn't a 2D Super Mario 64 already technically exist?
It's called Super Mario 63. While it's not a exact remake, but still one of the funnest.
It also has a bunch of cool secret courses, and a level designer with it's own online sharing server.

Image

_________________
Rest in peace Satoru Iwata. (1959-2015) You will always live on in our hearts.

I'm just a random guy named Nick! I like to make games, program, design sprites/art, and play Nintendo games.
Check out my cool fangame: SUPER MARIO Power Star Frenzy! A twist to the collectathon style Mario games. [PRIORITY]
Check out my other fangame: SUPER MARIO Dimension Dilemma! A SSBB Subspace Emissary styled Mario fangame.


Image Image Image Image

Power Star Frenzy Progress Spoiler:
 
Top
Offline 
 User page at mfgg.net
 
 [au]
 Post subject: Re: Working on a full 2D recreation of Super Mario 64
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:59 pm 
User avatar
Not banned.
Member
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
This isn't going to happen mainly because you were only just asking for help to learn to make fangames. Even with assistance, you'd be better off starting small instead of trying to create one of the most ambitious projects you can think of.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people told you that the best idea is to scale back your expectations and start small.

_________________
Image

Available for ANDROID and IOS
 
Top
Offline 
 User page at mfgg.net
 
 [ca]
 Post subject: Re: Working on a full 2D recreation of Super Mario 64
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:21 pm 
User avatar
Waluigi Time!
Member
[*]
[*]
Kritter wrote:
This isn't going to happen mainly because you were only just asking for help to learn to make fangames. Even with assistance, you'd be better off starting small instead of trying to create one of the most ambitious projects you can think of.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people told you that the best idea is to scale back your expectations and start small.

Just stop.

Anyone who says "just start out small blah blah blah" will be ignored.

_________________
Don't expect mouth-to-mouth.
 
Top
Offline 
 User page at mfgg.net
 
 [ca]
 Post subject: Re: Working on a full 2D recreation of Super Mario 64
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:43 pm 
User avatar
Waluigi Time!
Member
[*]
[*]
Random.NICK wrote:
Doesn't a 2D Super Mario 64 already technically exist?
It's called Super Mario 63. While it's not a exact remake, but still one of the funnest.
It also has a bunch of cool secret courses, and a level designer with it's own online sharing server.

Image

And your point is?

_________________
Don't expect mouth-to-mouth.
 
Top
Offline 
 User page at mfgg.net
 
 [ca]
 Post subject: Re: Working on a full 2D recreation of Super Mario 64
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:03 pm 
User avatar
No games
Member
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
TheWahGamer wrote:
Just stop.

Anyone who says "just start out small blah blah blah" will be ignored.


Alright but don't expect this to go anywhere, you'll find rather quickly that developing a fangame is actually very hard to keep going

_________________
Spoiler:

Refs: ~CaMTenDo~: http://i45.tinypic.com/2cfv0xk.png supernova: http://i50.tinypic.com/16gd4h.png kremling: http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m206/KiddyKong/ultluigi_zps2612660b.png Mit:http://i.imgur.com/eW2W9zl.png
Dustinvgmaster wrote:
Because I'm over here being a doofus, almost everyone else is cruelly denying and Ult is offering beverages for some reason
 
Top
Offline 
 User page at mfgg.net
 
 [zz]
 Post subject: Re: Working on a full 2D recreation of Super Mario 64
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:06 am 
User avatar
Member
[*]
TheWahGamer wrote:
Kritter wrote:
This isn't going to happen mainly because you were only just asking for help to learn to make fangames. Even with assistance, you'd be better off starting small instead of trying to create one of the most ambitious projects you can think of.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people told you that the best idea is to scale back your expectations and start small.

Just stop.

Anyone who says "just start out small blah blah blah" will be ignored.

You got quite lot of nerve here buddy. Though, I've never seen your past efforts aside from spriting.

 
Top
Offline 
 
 
 [au]
 Post subject: Re: Working on a full 2D recreation of Super Mario 64
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:40 am 
User avatar
Not banned.
Member
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Not trying to hurt your feelings, just being realistic. Been here a long time and people wanting to make the best fangame ever isn't anything new.

I mean by all means give it your best, but with 100% certainty I can tell you that it won't be as easy as you might think. I'll happily eat my words if you manage to produce this game.

_________________
Image

Available for ANDROID and IOS
 
Top
Offline 
 User page at mfgg.net
 
 [ca]
 Post subject: Re: Working on a full 2D recreation of Super Mario 64
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:43 am 
User avatar
Waluigi Time!
Member
[*]
[*]
Kritter wrote:
Not trying to hurt your feelings, just being realistic. Been here a long time and people wanting to make the best fangame ever isn't anything new.

I mean by all means give it your best, but with 100% certainty I can tell you that it won't be as easy as you might think. I'll happily eat my words if you manage to produce this game.

I know it's not going to be a walk in the park. Would it kill you guys to have some faith? Like holy geez.

_________________
Don't expect mouth-to-mouth.
 
Top
Offline 
 User page at mfgg.net
 
 [zz]
 Post subject: Re: Working on a full 2D recreation of Super Mario 64
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:23 am 
User avatar
Member
[*]
[*]
I'm going to tell you my fangaming making history : I started making games since... 2012 with s****y engines , i was a kid so... the result (for me and my friends) were amazing , just seeing your own character moving at the screen doing mario things...
The physics of the game were bad , the graphics... a mix of 8 , 16 and 32 bit from a lot of games , some levels had no sense , but i keept making games.
I learnt lot of things exploring the game maker's menu and others , making engines , test demos , and others... But one day , I discovered this webpage , i posted a few things in posts and others and I decided to... why not? I was developing a game using another bad engine made by me , and I posed a few images and videos from the game (The topic is here viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17889 )
And.. as I said before , the game was bad , but it has unique aspects , unique movements , unique ideas , and people liked some of that things , they told me that the game was...
But I've got a lot of help with the game.
Even with other projects and topics.
So... Kritter says that the fangame will not be as you have in mind... maybe something like my fangame , but anyways the first time you make a fangame or a game... is quite basic and bad , with the time , you will learn new things to make a better game , so I recommend to you making the "basic mario" game , do not publish it (keep it as a TEST) and over the months , years you will make a better game

:thumbsup: Good Luck :thumbsup:

 
Top
Offline 
 User page at mfgg.net
 
 [ca]
 Post subject: Re: Working on a full 2D recreation of Super Mario 64
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:27 am 
User avatar
Waluigi Time!
Member
[*]
[*]
No Name wrote:
I'm going to tell you my fangaming making history : I started making games since... 2012 with s****y engines , i was a kid so... the result (for me and my friends) were amazing , just seeing your own character moving at the screen doing mario things...
The physics of the game were bad , the graphics... a mix of 8 , 16 and 32 bit from a lot of games , some levels had no sense , but i keept making games.
I learnt lot of things exploring the game maker's menu and others , making engines , test demos , and others... But one day , I discovered this webpage , i posted a few things in posts and others and I decided to... why not? I was developing a game using another bad engine made by me , and I posed a few images and videos from the game (The topic is here viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17889 )
And.. as I said before , the game was bad , but it has unique aspects , unique movements , unique ideas , and people liked some of that things , they told me that the game was...
But I've got a lot of help with the game.
Even with other projects and topics.
So... Kritter says that the fangame will not be as you have in mind... maybe something like my fangame , but anyways the first time you make a fangame or a game... is quite basic and bad , with the time , you will learn new things to make a better game , so I recommend to you making the "basic mario" game , do not publish it (keep it as a TEST) and over the months , years you will make a better game

:thumbsup: Good Luck :thumbsup:

I will release this game only when I'm satisfied with it. Why don't people understand that? Like I know it'll take me a while to learn everything, but maybe I'll learn faster than you did. GMS isn't as complicated as you guys make it out to be.

_________________
Don't expect mouth-to-mouth.
 
Top
Offline 
 User page at mfgg.net
 
 [us]
 Post subject: Re: Working on a full 2D recreation of Super Mario 64
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:05 am 
User avatar
Always have Jason Voorhees in your sig
Administrator
[T]
[A]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
TheWahGamer wrote:
I know it's not going to be a walk in the park. Would it kill you guys to have some faith? Like holy geez.

There's a reason why we're being so hard on you here, though.

It's not just a matter of having "faith". We've all been here. I know I was. When I started out, I had an idea for 4 huge Zelda fangames. I was extremely passionate. I had a lot of the level design drawn out. But I didn't possess the game making skill. And that truly stopped me.

I know it seems like you have enough ambition to do it, but you would really, really, really benefit from making something smaller first.

Let's say you want to work on the star from Whomp's Fortress, where Mario has to shoot from the cannon and blow down the piece of that one wall to find the hidden star. How would you program that? First you have to make sure the cannons work, and work well. Second, you have to make sure that Mario can blow down the wall, but only when he's been shot from a cannon. That's two new features you have to program, just for that one star.

Do you have an idea of how you would code that? I do, but I've been programming for nearly 10 years.

Then let's get to the star in Bob-omb Battlefield where Mario has to stomp on the pole to let the chain chomp loose. You have to have stomping working, you need working chain chomp AI (and for the chain to animate properly), you probably need a cutscene system that stops the gameplay while the chain chomp breaks the gate, etc. Do you know how to program any of that?

How would you program Mario's swimming physics for the water levels? How would you do spinning Bowser on his tail? How would you do those carousel platform things? Wall jumping? Talking to NPCs? Etc etc etc. These are all things I have ideas for how I would do them; idk how I'd do it exactly until I sit down in front of the code, but I've got an idea in my mind, and it's because of experience.

You can't look up tutorials for how to code just anything. Being a programmer is a profession. People will throw lots of money at you just because you possess the experience necessary to be able to come up with ways to make a solution to any old problem with code.

What's the difference with starting small? Let's say you want to make a pong game. You have to program making one paddle move via controls, another move via AI, and the ball moves back and forth. Then add a score system, and you're done. That's literally the entire game.

Making a pong game may well be simpler than making one single feature in this SM64 remake. If you can't figure out how to make a Pong game on your own, there are a million tutorials I'm sure. But there's probably not very many tutorials for SM64-style cannons in 2D.

_________________
Image

Image Image
Bibby Team | MFGG3 Github
 
Top
Offline 
 User page at mfgg.net
 
 [zz]
 Post subject: Re: Working on a full 2D recreation of Super Mario 64
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:44 am 
User avatar
Marle's my waifu
Member
[*]
[*]
[*]
Only two weeks ago you were asking people how to make fangames and now you're confident that you'll get this done? That's certainly ambitious.

Do you have experience with game design?

_________________
더 빠르게 더 빠르게
더 멋지게 더 멋지게
더 신나게 더 신나게
 
Top
Offline 
 User page at mfgg.net
 
 [at]
 Post subject: Re: Working on a full 2D recreation of Super Mario 64
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:52 am 
User avatar
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
Member
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
2D Super Mario 64... hmm, where have I heard that before?

Anywho, I'm not gonna try to put you down here. I agree with everyone else here. It is too ambitious and it will end up scrapped, but still, go for it. Even if it fails, you get experience out of it which is ultimately what matters the most.

_________________
Image

Cliax Codec is a combination of top-down and third-person shooter. The gameplay will blend platforming, puzzle and shmup elements together to create a unique gameplay experience. You will take control of four playable characters which rise against a team that seemingly wants to take over the world - but are their motives really that cliché, or are there deeper motives behind their actions?

Currently designing Chapter 1-6, 5%

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:
 
Top
Offline 
 User page at mfgg.net
 
 [br]
 Post subject: Re: Working on a full 2D recreation of Super Mario 64
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:06 pm 
User avatar
Not a bird
Member
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Do you have something done to show?

_________________
Please contact me for any broken links below.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
 
Top
Offline 
 
 
 [ca]
 Post subject: Re: Working on a full 2D recreation of Super Mario 64
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:39 pm 
User avatar
Waluigi Time!
Member
[*]
[*]
HylianDev wrote:
TheWahGamer wrote:
I know it's not going to be a walk in the park. Would it kill you guys to have some faith? Like holy geez.

There's a reason why we're being so hard on you here, though.

It's not just a matter of having "faith". We've all been here. I know I was. When I started out, I had an idea for 4 huge Zelda fangames. I was extremely passionate. I had a lot of the level design drawn out. But I didn't possess the game making skill. And that truly stopped me.

I know it seems like you have enough ambition to do it, but you would really, really, really benefit from making something smaller first.

Let's say you want to work on the star from Whomp's Fortress, where Mario has to shoot from the cannon and blow down the piece of that one wall to find the hidden star. How would you program that? First you have to make sure the cannons work, and work well. Second, you have to make sure that Mario can blow down the wall, but only when he's been shot from a cannon. That's two new features you have to program, just for that one star.

Do you have an idea of how you would code that? I do, but I've been programming for nearly 10 years.

Then let's get to the star in Bob-omb Battlefield where Mario has to stomp on the pole to let the chain chomp loose. You have to have stomping working, you need working chain chomp AI (and for the chain to animate properly), you probably need a cutscene system that stops the gameplay while the chain chomp breaks the gate, etc. Do you know how to program any of that?

How would you program Mario's swimming physics for the water levels? How would you do spinning Bowser on his tail? How would you do those carousel platform things? Wall jumping? Talking to NPCs? Etc etc etc. These are all things I have ideas for how I would do them; idk how I'd do it exactly until I sit down in front of the code, but I've got an idea in my mind, and it's because of experience.

You can't look up tutorials for how to code just anything. Being a programmer is a profession. People will throw lots of money at you just because you possess the experience necessary to be able to come up with ways to make a solution to any old problem with code.

What's the difference with starting small? Let's say you want to make a pong game. You have to program making one paddle move via controls, another move via AI, and the ball moves back and forth. Then add a score system, and you're done. That's literally the entire game.

Making a pong game may well be simpler than making one single feature in this SM64 remake. If you can't figure out how to make a Pong game on your own, there are a million tutorials I'm sure. But there's probably not very many tutorials for SM64-style cannons in 2D.

So if you know how to do all that stuff, then why not help me out instead of telling me how I can't do this? Like is it considered a sin for someone who's new on MFGG to make an actual good game? Like is it a law here where you have to make at least 10 crappy games before you make a really good one?

And like, instead of spending that time starting small, I'll just work on this game instead. But if I'm not satisfied with the outcome of a level or something, I'll just redo it. Like I'll be getting just as much experience as someone would if they were to make like 5 crappy games. The only difference is that I'll be practicing and learning on one game and I won't publish it until I'm satisfied with it's quality.

_________________
Don't expect mouth-to-mouth.
 
Top
Offline 
 User page at mfgg.net
 
 [ca]
 Post subject: Re: Working on a full 2D recreation of Super Mario 64
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:41 pm 
User avatar
Waluigi Time!
Member
[*]
[*]
Vertette wrote:
Only two weeks ago you were asking people how to make fangames and now you're confident that you'll get this done? That's certainly ambitious.

Do you have experience with game design?

Yes, yes I do.

Coding and programming are the only things I need help with. Willsaber and a couple others have been doing an awesome job at helping me out with that. So instead of telling me I can't do this and talking down to me like I'm stupid, why not give me some tips and help me out a little?

I'm disappointed in the MFGG community...

_________________
Don't expect mouth-to-mouth.
 
Top
Offline 
 User page at mfgg.net
 
 [br]
 Post subject: Re: Working on a full 2D recreation of Super Mario 64
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:52 pm 
User avatar
Not a bird
Member
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I don't know how far you are in matters of development so I can't give you any tip yet

_________________
Please contact me for any broken links below.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
 
Top
Offline 
 
 
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  [ 59 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 


Who is online

Users browsing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum
Jump to:  


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group