Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next  [ 268 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 
Concept corner., Got any random fangame thoughts?
 [us]
 Post subject: Re: Concept corner.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:06 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Quote:
goggle-wearing dolphins and manta rays.

Quote:
goggle-wearing dolphins

Quote:
goggle-wearing dolphins

you mean dudim

[ca]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:31 am 
The Quantifiably Quip-tic QC Dude
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Dudim is not the only dolphin that wears goggles, man. There's millions of them in Super Mario World.

Unless those are relatives?

Image Refs - Something new's gonna show up here, I just know it! - DeviantArt - YouTubeImage
???!, 10%

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:32 am 
Well, this is an interesting topic. I'm typing down my idea first and reading others' later, though.

So I know this concept has been used before and is quite cliche'd and not that original, it was even used by Nintendo Alphadream already for M&L2, but it wasn't executed well at all (sorry, but M&L2 is not an excellent game). The concept is: time traveling for a Mario game.

But I'd like to see a Mario game with proper, deep, paradox inducing, space-time continium messing of time traveling! Imagine Mario traveling to the dinosaur era equivalent of the Mushroom world... it be a world sized Dinosaur Land, but more tropical, more primitive, with bigger and un-evolved versions of common enemies. A boss would be a giant Rex named Rex-Rex and stuff like that.

Actually, I once came with a quite developed plan for this game... I was actually making it with SMBX, but ended dropping it. I guess is no harm if I post here what I had planned:

The game tittle was going to be "Super Mario Paradox"

The story starts when in an apparently normal day, Princess Peach was at her castle doing what, uh, whatever princesses do in their castles, when suddenly a dark portal opens in the sky above the Mushroom Castle, and Bowser's fleet come invading the kingdom as they've done it before, however Bowser comes flying in his Koopa Klown Kar and crashes in the castle's through a big stained glass window. Of course, Mario rushes to the castle as soon as he notices the Koopa invasion and comes in time to witness Bowser crashing... however, there's something noticeably odd about Bowser this time, he is not just wearing a dark purple cape, but his hair is white and longer and his skin has a tone of gray. Bowser is all like "Princess Peach, I've finally built my powerful dreamed empire, and there's only one thing I need for it to be perfect... it's you!" And he would swipe the princess. Mario would rush trying to stop Bowser but a giant wall of fire would appear in front of him, summoned by an army of Magikoopas. Bowser would look at Mario and say "Haha, Mario... I have no need of you in my new perfect world", then he would manage to scape with the princess, flying away in his Klown Kar and entering the portal in the sky, the Airships would follow Bowser into the portal and it closes. Mario, of course, plans to rescue Peach as he always do, but when he is about to leave, Merlon teleports into the room: "Mario, I knew you were here because I sensed your presence. Mario, you would not be planning to rescue the princess as you usually do, don't you? Well, if you didn't know, Bowser does not live in this time anymore... in fact, the whole Koopa Kastle is no more in this time. See, that portal that opened above the castle in the sky, was a portal... from the future, far in the future. Bowser somehow got the power to travel through time and used it too well; he traveled through many different time paths untill he finally found a point in an alternate future path where nor you nor any know hero would defeat him. He then became unstoppable, conquered the Mushroom Kingdom as he always wanted and slowly but effectively shaped the world to his desire. As Princess Peach didn't live in at the time anymore, he solely came back to this time to kidnap her." While talking, Merlon would take out a crystal ball and show Mario the story... Bowser conquering the MK and the land changing into a world sized Dark Land... the grass and trees all withered, the sky darkened, most of the fauna... skellofied (skelleton Goombas, Dry-Bones, etc), etc... Then Merlon adds "Conveniently enough, I have a time hall in my basement, full of time portals; however these portals need energy of the Time Power Stars in order to work. See, I believe Bowser used the power of these Stars to travel through time, and many of them have been scatered through the different eras of our world... some of them are even in this time, I believe. Actually, I think I can sense the presence of some nearby at the lands outside Toad Town. Bring me one and I'll let you enter my basement. Mario, you must save the future..."

That basically would be the intro, more or less. this is how things would work:

The game is divided into 6 different Eras (times) with many different Loci (levels). the loci ("places" in latin, "locus" for singular) are places that change drastically depending on the era Mario is in, and even they can be altered through events Mario does in the past at the same Locus. The hub world would be the main Town which would have a different name and form in each different Era.

The Eras are as follows:

The Era of the Mushroom Kingdom (Present): Obviously the Era where the game starts. It's the regular Mario world as we all know it and love.

The Era of Dragons (Prehistory): A time far, far in the past, when the land was popullated mainy by dragons, or dinosaurs, as I decided that dinosaurs in the Mario world are also dragons (Yoshi has been called a dragon before and many Mario dinosaurs spit fire). A world that is a lot like a world sized Dinosaur Land, with volcanoes, hostile creatures and big, un-evolved versions of other Mario enemies (Imagine big, furry Goombas with sabertooth fangs). Friendly Yoshis willing to help Mario can be found in many levels at this Era. An small Yoshi village is in place of Toad Town at this time.

The Era of Discoveries (Past): A time in the past of the Mushroom Kingdom when it was starting to be founded as a Kingdom. It offers a sort of Steampunk scenario a la XVIII century. Also, the war against the Koopa Kingdom was getting started, and both kingdoms been in a cold war ever since. Since I was doing this game with SMBX, I was going to use 8-bit styled graphics for this Era. Toad Town is a newly founded town now.

The Era of Ancients (Middle Age): The equivalent of the XII century for the Mushroom world, but without poverty nor pest. farms, knights, wizards, dungeons and dragons. The world is at peace and is governed by a council of Shamans (the ones currently known as the ancient ones). There's a big magical city of wizards here instead of Toad Town.

The Era of the Koopa Kingdom (Future): This is the sad, devastated future Bowser has created. Toad Town is no more Toad Town but Koopa Kastle Town, and you can still see Toads wandering the streets, but they all are the poor, marginated race. The world is now a world sized Dark Land pretty much.

The Era of Creation (The beginning of time): This would be a secret era that you get to travel to when you have more stars then the needed amount to fight Bowser. The world is a beautiful eden of colors and light, everything is very bright and vivid, more than usual, and Mario gets to witness the first ever Yoshi eggs to hatch. Everything is also more wacky than usual.

That's all I will write. I also came up with some power-up ideas and ideas for bosses, but I might write them latter in this same topic.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:32 pm 
もう帰らない
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Another topic mentioned Lua, which got me thinking of Minetest.

So here's a thought: Minetest is extremely modifiable. Being easy to modify is pretty much the biggest point of it. It's modified by "mods", which make small changes, and "games", which completely change how the game works. Here's my thought: what if a Minetest "game" of a Mario 3-D platformer was made?

The main difficulty right now would be enemies, mostly because there isn't a proper way to have mobs in Minetest right now (only hackish ways) and I don't think there's a way to implement stomping as a way of defeating enemies, but it would be interesting nonetheless.

[gb]
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:51 pm 
I never really was on your side.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Not really a fangame concept, but whatever.

I dreamt of this last night: Basically its a first person shooter, but not a realistic one, like Battlefield or anything. The gameplay is very similar to Team Fortress 2 and Borderlands. The graphical style is more on the cartoony side, and with outlines similar to Borderlands. Basically what happens is you have teams (more than 2!) and there are set rounds. Each round you get a certain tier of weaponry. For example, in round 1, you would have a choice between say, a knife, a hatchet, or a machete. The second round, youd have options between, for example, a pistol, a rifle, or a shotgun. For a third round, it could be, say an Assault rifle, a SMG, or a sniper rifle. And so forth. Basically the character designs were people in like business suits, close to what the spies look like in TF2, except they are much more built, more like a professional military spy from real life. The levels would be places that could be infiltrated, like an intelligence center. Unfortunately, I have 0 experience with 3d gaming, however i think it would be a neat game.

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:50 am 
Metal Mario's Rejected Brother
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Ok I also dreamt this:

Wario Land Ahoy

Story:
Wario finds out about a legendary treasure, the Pirate Leprechauns' Ship. Controlled by a pirate leprechaun, it's a ship of solid gold that appears at the end of a rainbow out at sea. Instead of a crow's nest on top of the mast - it has a pot of gold that spews out an unlimited supply of coins. Hearing this Wario sails off to find it.

Game Ideas:
Wario could sail on an overworld map to visit islands, find clues, find treasure maps, dive/dig for buried treasure, board other pirate ships all in an effort to become richer. Treasure could count as your score, affecting how well of an ending you unlock. Eg, bad ending = turns out the leprechaun ship is just a raft, good ending = Wario finds the legendary ship in all its glory, secret best ending = the ship turns out to be a gigantic navy ship with cannons loaded with coins. Of course Wario will be racing against his rival, Captain Syrup!

Powerups:
Regular Wario clothes = regular Wario.
Captain Hat = replaces Wario's cap with a yellow pirate captain hat that allows him to take an extra hit.
Parrot = puts a parrot on Wario's shoulder allowing him to glide.
Hook Hand = allows Wario to grapple onto nails, hooks, rops, etc.
Peg Legs = lets Wario walk on spikes or other hazardous materials. Perhaps it could act as extendable stilts?
Night Vision Eye Patch = to see in the dark.
Sword = speaks for itself.

Wario Reactions:
Cursed = turns into a ghost and allows him to float around through solid objects (must avoid light though)
Skeleton = same as zombie Wario from the other WL titles. (I was thinking there'd be a moon enemy in the background to trigger this as a PotC reference :laugh: )

That's all I have.

Edit: Oh yeah I thought Wario's ship could have a giant Wario nose and moustache instead of a bowsprit :laugh:

Image Image

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:34 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
@CopperMario: All of that sounds really interesting. :)

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:27 pm 
Always have Jason Voorhees in your sig
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I have two *dream* projects that I'd like to try; one much more realistic than the other, but neither very original.

Zelda 2: Adventure of Link DX

I think Zelda 2 would be good to remake. Not a lot of people appreciate it, so smoothing out some of the rough parts and re-introducing it would be neat. (I was also always disappointed that you never got to fight the river monster!! You blew the flute and he disappeared off the map. That could be redone in an epic, modern Zelda style.) Also, it wouldn't be too difficult to do; make a basic overhead map, then make spots on the map direct you to platformer-style worlds that go to different rooms, hide away a few gameplay mechanics until they get unlocked (several items, up/down slashes, the spells), and then just program the enemies and boss sequences and the rest is just re-mapping the levels from the original. That's certainly very simple in comparison to my next dream project:

Ocarina of Time 2D

It's been tried several times. Its attempted creators have all disappeared from the internet. It's been looked forward to in the fangaming world unlike any other game. The very idea seems like a bit of irony (assuming I know the definition of irony correctly?); Ocarina of Time was revolutionary in that it was the first 3D Zelda game, and now we want to downgrade it back to 2D? Lol. But to create this, and finish it, would be a big deal. People everywhere would hear about it. And it's possibly one of the most difficult fangame projects ever to be attempted.

A game so intricate as Ocarina of Time could probably never be replicated in 2D, even if you mapped the levels right, even if you coded enemy AI perfectly, could you avoid the myriad of bugs and glitches, keep from being absolutely confused and driven mad by all of the side-quests to keep up with during development, and then debug the longest, most intricate fangame ever created enough to make the whole game playable? ... I might even be crazy enough to try it, if I had enough time.

Image Image
Bibby Team | MFGG3 Github

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:32 am 
[*]
Here is my dream project idea.

Super Mario Vs The Madness:

This game take place when a red comet falls on earth.Bowser and his army was heading stright to the Mushroom Kingdom untill he bump into the comet blocking his way.The comet soon let out red fog and took crontrol of Bowser and his army.

One Day lather,Mario, Peach, and Luigi got ready for the Life up carnival untill they ran into a old man in a dark coat who warned them about the Ruler of All Darkness and Fear.he told them a story of how he lost in battle to stop them with the Ruler of Darkness and Fear.Peach ignored the old man words and contiened to enjoyed the carnival untill the all the toads noticed the sky turning red. Suddenly, Red fog formed into a arm and grab Peach, taking it to the dark sky. Dr . Egadd tells Mario that it not to late and his machine tells him that Peach is in a world known as Kingdom of Fallen Lignt.Now Mario must go After Peach ,but is that all.

The game menu and title screen music is Paint It Black
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1zBG2TEjn4

All worlds : Edit to better world . There are 16

World 1 : Mushroom World

World 2: Adventure Kingdom

World 3: Earth (Real World)

World 4 The Land of Love and Hate.

World 5: Dream Land

World 6: Special World

World 7: The Kingdom of fallen Light

World 8: Dark Prison

once you make it to World 7 you find that Bowser on an airship. He is darker like a shadow with red glowing eyes.Bowser says that he work for his master , The Dark Ruler,and that you have been putting his plains to ruins. Bowser fights mario to the death untill Mario change him back normal.Bowser now had no idea where he was untill
Mario told him.Bowser makes up his mind to give mario an airship to go to the Dark Ruler World.Mario faces the Dark Ruler who is giygas from the Earthbound Series.His plans is to release Madness to the World.(This info can be said early in the story.)

Feel free to pick up this project.You can change some stuff in the project except the main villain, title sceen . pm me if you want to change something. you can also change worlds.

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:16 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
So you ARE working on vector Mario.
sounds cool!

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:31 pm 
もう帰らない
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
I think I'm going to abandon lives in my next major game, whether it's a SuperTux remake or BLS 2.

The reason is simple: lives don't add difficulty. They just add frustration. Having to go all the way back to start doesn't make it harder.

Instead of lives, I think I'm going to have a drop in the score every time the player dies.

Also, instead of a time limit, I think I'm going to just have a time bonus that counts down; if it reaches 0, no bonus. Alternatively, I can make it so that the time bonus starts getting negative when it reaches 0 and then you lose points, as a penalty for taking too long to finish the level.

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:38 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
That's a fresh breath of air; do it.

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:35 pm 
もう帰らない
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
This is the system I think I'm going to use, and I think this will make score seem not so worthless:

Every level will have a time bonus, which will count down by 100 points every second or "SMB3 second" (SMB3's game second is about 3/4 of a second). This time bonus can be negative, so if you stay too long, rather than dying, you'll simply lose more points.

Whenever you die, you will lose all the points and coins you gained in that level, resetting your score and coins to what they were when you started the level. (I actually have already done this in BLS.) But the time bonus will not reset; it will continue counting down from what it was when you died.

If you re-play a level, that level's normal time bonus will not be in effect (replaced with 0), and you will not be able to gain points from the session in any way, but you will still be able to suffer from a time score penalty. The effect of this will be that you can't just infinitely milk a level for more points like you can in Super Mario World and all official Mario platformers that have followed; on the contrary, you will be guaranteed to lose points every time you do a level again, as a cost of going back to previous levels for items.

Checkpoints would, as a penalty for their use, decrease the time bonus by the amount of time you took to get to them. This way, the only effect of checkpoints is to make you not have to repeat a section of the level.

The effect of all of this put together would be that frustration from having to go further back would be non-existent (because the system never sends them further back as a penalty; it only takes points away), and the score would be a meaningful reflection of a player's skill.

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:49 pm 
C# Programmer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
That still doesn't give score any meaning game-wise other than what the player puts into it (their own skill based on a score).

Focus on the performance, the idea, not the technical bits or details - Milt Kahl

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:51 pm 
Goodbye.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
You guys do realize that the Concept Corner is a place for Idea's you don't plan to use yourself, don't you?

User page at mfgg.net

[jp]
 Post subject: Re: Coding Help
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:28 pm 
Yeah, I don't Even...
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Not really anything I plan on doing at all but just an idea someone else could probably refine etc if they wanna use it.

[B]Master Chef Mario[B]
Mario travels the world in search of exotic ingredients and will stop at nothing to obtain them to fuel his newfound hobby.
Gameplay wise it'd revolve around using kitchen tools and equipment to explore an open world and solve puzzles, looking for the finest ingredients and making food items out of them to either sell or use while you are exploring, and fighting other chefs, farmers, merchants, and resturaunt owners and amass as many coins as possible through his hobby and become the greatest chef in the world.

It's just a kinda vague idea but honestly it's supposed to be vague anyways since it's just a base idea.

Edit: Welp wrong topic, I'll have to get staff to move it.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:47 pm 
Okay, so I just got this idea, I don't know if it someone else had it before me but here we go:
Super Mario 2.5d World
Concept Idea: The game would be a 2D platformer like Super Mario World with the ability to walk in the background and/or the foreground.
Power-ups: Super Mushroom, Fire Flower, Racoon leaf, Super Bell, Bullet Bill shooter (shoots 20 bullet bills), Invincibility Star
Interacting with the background & the foreground: A level would have 2 or 3 routes, the alternate ones would be accessible via transparent pipes that can put Mario far in the background (kind of like VB Wario Land). The Cat Suit would be used to climb background elements like walls & other things.
Gameplay: Full NSMBW-like Co-op mode for 2 players or a Single Player mode. Mario & Luigi have different skills (SM3DW-like) and can do a triple jump, a long jump and a side jump. There'll be 3 moving speed walking, running and dashing. The end of the level is represented by the usual flagpole.

I'm just putting this as a concept because I can't do this kind of game myself so I figured I share this concept with you guys

[vn]
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:10 am 
Toad's adventure game concept:
Story:The Mushroom Kingdom is finally peaceful once again,Bowser has been beated thanks to the Mario Brothers.But then.Bowser Jr has revenged them.He found a wand that has a very powerful magic.He used the wand to turn Mario and Luigi into statues to "decorate" Bowser's castle.To stay in "peace" again,Bowser Jr has turned the Toads people into statues too.Lucky,Toad and Princess Peach was able to escape the fight.So,Toad will go and save Mario and Luigi,with Peach's guides.Will he be able to save them on his adventure???
I'm thinking this will be a SMW game,with SMA4/SMB3 graphics.Only Toad is playable.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:50 pm 
Silly guy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Had a sick game idea in my dream last night! Looks like video games were my valentine's date!

The game's areas are completely hand-drawn. It takes place journeying across maps that cover the screen. These maps are huge, but you should always know where your character is. They vary from traditional rainforests to castles to high tech space stations, all hand drawn of course. Hard to accurately describe exactly how they'd look, but I suppose landscapes drawn in a simple non-realistic way.

You play as Waffles, a blue stuffed teddy-dog. His personality is based on me, so he's mellow, happy and generally aloof. You encounter more teddy creatures throughout the game. These include Waffles' friends, and the big three baddies: Snow the Bear, Worm the Clown and Stocking the Saint.

You travel these maps and fight giant monsters that are more Mario-ish than realistic. After you fight these monsters, you can summon their abilities and likeness on a golden watch. The watch determines how many minutes you can use their ability. These abilities range from attacks like laser beams and biting to defense like sinking in water and floating into the sky.

There will also be RTS elements throughout the game, like acquiring food to eat and power for your watch. I think I'll start working on this today. Should be cool if I develop it half way as cool as it was in my dream!

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:15 am 
Goodbye.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I got this idea after playing the Creepypasta based fangame "Sonic.EXE" (And yes, it has to be the DUMBEST game I've ever played, but it still gave me an idea nonetheless.)

So, anyway,
The idea here isn't so much "Oh no! Sonic is going to kill me in my sleep!" as it is "Our superhero has gone nuts and he's unstoppable! "
Sonic had been captured by Eggman, who decided to use an experimental device on him to turn him to his side.
But something went wrong, instead of turning Sonic to Eggman's side, it turned Sonic into a psychopath.
Eggman is now dead.
Tails and Knuckles have fallen at Sonic's hands as well, and to make matters worse, he now has all the Chaos Emeralds.

Is there any stopping him? ....well, sure.... if you look at this from the perspective of "Superman going insane" there was always that chunk of kryptonite somewhere.

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next  [ 268 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic