[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]

The Mega Engine is a free open-source Classic Mega Man engine for Game Maker Studio 2, Game Maker Studio 1.4 and Game Maker 8.1, built around the idea of combining accuracy to the original games with being flexible and easy-to-use. It aims to take the best of all entries in the Classic series and combining it in one engine. Being built from the ground up, this engine is the result of three months of work; while this may seem like a short development time, I did not cut any corners in regards to quality.

The engine has several features, including:
  • 60 FPS Classic Mega Man gameplay
  • Flexibility in adding or changing content in the engine
  • Accurate movement, physics, object interaction and more
  • Sliding and buster charging (can be disabled with ease)
  • Collision with solids, jumpthrough solids, ladders, spikes and water
  • A “section system” as present in the Classic titles, including proper screen transitions
  • Several built-in special weapons, with flexibility in adding new ones or changing existing ones
  • Built-in enemies, as well as flexibility in adding your own
  • Three example gimmicks included in the engine, and flexibility in adding your own
  • An example Robot Master with full AI, and flexibility to add your own bosses
  • A customizable title screen, stage select, boss introduction screen, weapon get screen, game over screen and pause screen
  • E-Tanks, M-Tanks, health drops, weapon drops and extra lives
  • Fully functional checkpoints

To make this engine as easy to use as I could, I made a video tutorial series on how to use the engine. A playlist of the series can be found here: http://bit.ly/2bc7HQE

I also recorded an engine playthrough to showcase most of the features it has:

Screenshots:
Spoiler:

F.A.Q.
Spoiler:

Downloads
Game Maker Studio 2
Game Maker Studio 1.4
Game Maker 8.1

Ideas, suggestions, feedback and criticism are very appreciated, so feel free to let me know about your opinion!

Last edited by WreckingPrograms on Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:32 pm, edited 8 times in total.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
 Post subject: Re: Mega Engine - Open-source Classic Megaman engine
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:14 pm 
sluuuuurp
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

ooh nice

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:19 pm 
Mr. Awkward's Lab Assistant
[*]
[*]
I see it's kinda like a half port/half remake of Blyka's Mega Man Engine, only it actually works correctly in Studio. Good Job.
Although I did notice a glitch (Or is it not actually a glitch?): Mega Man can only begin charging his mega buster when not sliding.

[at]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:27 pm 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Which MFGGer would ever make a Megaman fangame?
Looks pretty nifty from a first glance. I didn't take a look at the code yet so I can't comment on that, but I assume it's prettier than Hello's one.

Cliax Codec is a combination of top-down and third-person shooter. The gameplay will blend platforming, puzzle and shmup elements together to create a unique gameplay experience. You will take control of four playable characters which rise against a team that seemingly wants to take over the world - but are their motives really that cliché, or are there deeper motives behind their actions?

Currently designing Chapter 1-6, 5%

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[nl]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:31 pm 
Wreck 'n get stomped
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Thanks for the feedback guys!

I see it's kinda like a half port/half remake of Blyka's Mega Man Engine, only it actually works correctly in Studio. Good Job.
Although I did notice a glitch (Or is it not actually a glitch?): Mega Man can only begin charging his mega buster when not sliding.

I tried working with Blyka's engine but I quickly noticed it was far from flexible and adding anything was a pain, so that's when I said to myself "I can do better than this!" and made this engine. About that "glitch": that's actually present in the classic games from MM5 onward, so I left it in intentionally.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:39 pm 
Mr. Awkward's Lab Assistant
[*]
[*]
WreckingGoomba wrote:
Thanks for the feedback guys!

I tried working with Blyka's engine but I quickly noticed it was far from flexible and adding anything was a pain, so that's when I said to myself "I can do better than this!" and made this engine. About that "glitch": that's actually present in the classic games from MM5 onward, so I left it in intentionally.

I guess I never noticed that before now, and I can confirm it's like that in MM5.

[zz]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:09 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Ooh, this looks pretty interesting! I haven't taken a look at the code yet, but knowing how clean and easily understandable the code in your basic platformer engine from 2014 is, and I'm sure this one has clean and understandable code too!

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:25 am 
I, Papyrus, am awesome!
[*]
[*]
[*]
DJ Coco wrote:
Which MFGGer would ever make a Megaman fangame?

*raises hand very slowly*
I even tried to edit Hello Engine 5.1 into a Hello-styled MegaMan Engine (as in a MegaMan Engine with a lot of functions whilst being accurate to source) just for that.
I did not came very far, but still further than expected.

Now, about this engine, I sadly have neither 8.1 nor Studio, so I sadly cannot try it out myself.
Because of that, I would like to ask how accurate the physics are to the original and how accurate the fade-ins/fade-outs are to the original and whenever it has all the extra quirks like the game pausing while filling up your energy. Because I might have to ask WreckingGoomba for coding guidance in order to progress with my own thing.

Other than that, I can say that based on the screenshots, it at least looks good. So yeah, good luck, WreckingGoomba. I hope to see it more updates to it incase you still have future plans in mind.

What I also support:
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[nl]
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:34 am 
Wreck 'n get stomped
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
TrinitroMan wrote:
Now, about this engine, I sadly have neither 8.1 nor Studio, so I sadly cannot try it out myself.
Because of that, I would like to ask how accurate the physics are to the original and how accurate the fade-ins/fade-outs are to the original and whenever it has all the extra quirks like the game pausing while filling up your energy. Because I might have to ask WreckingGoomba for coding guidance in order to progress with my own thing.

Other than that, I can say that based on the screenshots, it at least looks good. So yeah, good luck, WreckingGoomba. I hope to see it more updates to it incase you still have future plans in mind.

You can download the Standard version of Studio for free, so if you really want to use the engine, you should be able to. I made the physics as close to the originals as I could, and according to feedback I got, that seems to have succeeded. The fade-ins/outs do not alter the palette like in the NES games, because I felt like that was way too much trouble for a minor feature, but the speed of the fade-ins/outs are the same as the originals. The game does pause while your energy is being filled up, and it probably has other quirks you have in mind, too.

I sadly cannot give everyone personal guidance as I don't have enough time for that, but there are video tutorials that should help you out regarding the engine (the playlist can be found in the main post).

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:08 pm 
I, Papyrus, am awesome!
[*]
[*]
[*]
WreckingGoomba wrote:
You can download the Standard version of Studio for free, so if you really want to use the engine, you should be able to.

I sadly cannot give everyone personal guidance as I don't have enough time for that, but there are video tutorials that should help you out regarding the engine (the playlist can be found in the main post).

It's not because of money problems, it's because Studio is highly unstable and can easily corrupt your project's workfile so hard that you're forced to start back at square one.

Because of that, I rather want to use Game Maker 8 instead. And now, I did not wanted personal guidance on how to use an engine I wont be able to use anyway due to Game Maker Studio, but guidance on how to implement some of your engine's features into my MegaMan engine (which will be for the Game Maker 8 users like me).

What I also support:
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[nl]
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:21 pm 
Wreck 'n get stomped
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Version 1.1 of the Mega Engine has just been released!

Download:
Game Maker Studio
Game Maker 8.1

The downloads in the main post have also been updated.

Changelog:
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[nl]
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:17 pm 
Wreck 'n get stomped
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Version 1.2 of the Mega Engine has just been released! Sorry for posting updates so rapidly after one another, but 1.1 had some rather major bugs that I wanted to fix as soon as possible. It doesn't just include bugfixes, though, it also has some new features (read the changelog below for more details). The problem where Game Maker Studio would replace all sound effects by Windows beeps should be gone now, too.

Unless more bugs will be found or more amazing features will be suggested, this is the final version of the engine.

Download:
Game Maker Studio
Game Maker 8.1

Changelog:
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:00 am 
Marle's my waifu
[*]
[*]
[*]
Whenever I try to run the game it throws a lot of errors at me about defining an external function at gml_Script_LoadFMOD. If I keep ignoring those errors I can still play the game fine and the music works too so I'm not sure what that's about.

Error Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[nl]
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:49 am 
Wreck 'n get stomped
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Vertette wrote:
Whenever I try to run the game it throws a lot of errors at me about defining an external function at gml_Script_LoadFMOD. If I keep ignoring those errors I can still play the game fine and the music works too so I'm not sure what that's about.

This seems to be a bug in the newest version of Game Maker Studio. I'm still looking for a fix, but since FMOD is not within my control, I can't guarantee that I will find one.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:50 am 
Marle's my waifu
[*]
[*]
[*]
Should've guessed.

Good engine though!

User page at mfgg.net

[nl]
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:46 pm 
Wreck 'n get stomped
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Version 1.3 of the Mega Engine has just been released! This update only contains bug fixes, but they are some rather major ones. The most notable bug that has been fixed is the bug where LoadFMOD() crashes the game in GM Studio 1.4.1760. Upon further inspection of the error messages, I came to the conclusion that I didn't need any of the newly-broken functions, so I messed around in the LoadFMOD() script and prevented these broken functions from loading. Now the error messages shouldn't pop up anymore.

From now on, I won't add any more features to the engine, as I feel like it has all necessary content right now. If there will ever be another update, it will be one with just bug fixes.

Download:
Game Maker Studio
Game Maker 8.1

Changelog:
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[gb]
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:21 pm 
Just cooking food for my Yoshi.
[*]
[*]
Great, I'll go make a Mario game with this engine!

If I were to give you a rating, it would be -1 out of 10.
Don't forget!
scaled image

mfgg is bad i hate it cuz meiro is totes terre sonac IS betar!!

My Gaming forum, called "The Gamer's Castle"!

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:22 am 
[*]
[*]
Here's hoping some good Mega Man fan games get created with this.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:05 pm 
Always have Jason Voorhees in your sig
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

If only MMFM didn't bite the dust. I'd like to see some interesting MM fan games

Image Image
Bibby Team | MFGG3 Github

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:13 pm 
[*]
[*]
There is always Rockman PM.

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 34 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic