[ 10 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 
 [us]
 Post subject: Plumber's Parasitic Plant Problem!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:18 am 
SMRPG Fanatic
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Hello! This game project has been put on hold as of July 16, 2016. Cross-post from SMWCentral.net.

Hello!

Plumber's Parasitic Plant Problem! is a ROM hack of Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars.

Story
There is a land where Toads and piranha plants live side by side peacefully. This island is called "Peaceful Piranha Plant Paradise", and this is where our story takes place...

The legendary plumber, the royal princess and the great and awesome Toad go on vacation to this island, but the blissful adventure turns to a one of duty and obligation as heroes. The once docile piranha plants of the island are suddenly becoming malicious, and are populating in unexpected places. Mario and others must get the assistance of local plumber experts, as well as a local scientist, to find the source of the piranha plant uproar and to bring the once peaceful paradise back to a hip vacation spot. Who or what could be behind the sudden outburst of the island's piranha plant population?

I plan to produce the game in my off time. The hack will have a new full story to go along with the completely new island, new playable characters, new items, new music, new puzzles, pretty much a whole new RPG for [you] to play.

Video of the beginning

Peaceful Piranha Plant Paradise Island

"Demo 1" was presented at NCFC 2015, which you can get the IPS patch for by clicking Image or clicking the same "Demo 1" image in my sig.

Here are screen shots from the first demo:
ImageImageImage

About the demo: This is something I've worked on for about two months total (May-Aug of 2015). It took a week to get the demo running, and I'm happy with the result! Features the intro the story, a linear story path and a boss. The game will likely change and may not even feature areas seen in the demo.

Last edited by Yakibomb on Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:19 am, edited 3 times in total.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
 Post subject: Re: Plumber's Parasitic Plant Problem!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:01 pm 
SMRPG Fanatic
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Chance Time Update time! This is partly a cross post from SMWC. Here's the content:

"Here are some graphic changes.

New World Map graphics

Here is one of Toad's weapons: The "Loose Cannon", his bazooka!

And a little extra: The ABXY graphics are updated. They look like panels flipping.
This is what it looks like opening up. If you press a button they'll "flip" to the other side, revealing the button's function.

A - Hammer
Y - Mushroom
X - Star
B - Action button? I couldn't think of anything else for this.

The game development is going slow, but it's going somewhere at least. Over the past few days I've been thinking of characters and stuff for the story. So far, I've come up with traits for the main cast that I hope will make for a fun narrative. I've been trying to carefully write the characters in a way they'll make sense in battle. For example, the Toad we met at the beginning of SMRPG would run so fast he'd run into things without noticing where he was going, especially danger. In this game, he'll be the fastest character in the group. That's just one example!

The screens above are some of the things I've been making on the side. There is progress, but it's slow.

That's all for this update.

Oh yeah, here are the new item names. Cheese'd to meet you.
"

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:11 pm 
следующая игра скоро будет
Dairy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
This almost seems like a very genuine follow up to SMRPG. I like hacks that take the spirit of the game they're hacking and sort of "continue" with it, and it looks like this does just that :)

Only thing I'd probably change is the little graphics on the "opposite sides" of the button panel icons, they're too difficult to really decipher on most of them (the only one that is obvious is the running guy icon), so it'd probably just be easier to ditch it altogether. Other than that, incredible work on the dedication side of things!

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:14 pm 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Looking sweet. It's about time that Toad carried some better artillery! Nice item names, too.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:15 pm 
I, Papyrus, am awesome!
[*]
[*]
[*]
Very interesting.
BTW, which character does Toad replace? Or does he not replace any character at all?
If it's the later, then this could potentially open up the flood gates for SMRPG hacks that have more than just 5 characters.
Heck, a hack that could include Luigi alongside the original 5 could be finally possible.

What I also support:
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:36 pm 
hi hello
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

This looks really great! I'm looking forward to seeing more!

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:34 am 
SMRPG Fanatic
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Vitiman wrote:
This almost seems like a very genuine follow up to SMRPG. I like hacks that take the spirit of the game they're hacking and sort of "continue" with it, and it looks like this does just that :)

Only thing I'd probably change is the little graphics on the "opposite sides" of the button panel icons, they're too difficult to really decipher on most of them (the only one that is obvious is the running guy icon), so it'd probably just be easier to ditch it altogether. Other than that, incredible work on the dedication side of things!

I'm trying my best to aim for the same kind of spirit the game offered, as that's really the source of my dedication on the project. I've wanted a new adventure for so long, something in the same lines as the original plot. It's quite a lot of work, I must say! But I hope the payout will be worth the wait.

As for the abxy icons, I made them bigger. How's this?

TrinitroMan wrote:
Very interesting.
BTW, which character does Toad replace? Or does he not replace any character at all?
If it's the later, then this could potentially open up the flood gates for SMRPG hacks that have more than just 5 characters.
Heck, a hack that could include Luigi alongside the original 5 could be finally possible.

Toad replaces Mallow's sprite image. Stat-wise, he's basically Geno (fastest and strongest, but defensively weak).

In case you haven't followed SMRPG hacking, over on SMWC there is a guy by the name of justin3009 that was implementing a sixth character slot. I think he hit a road block, and never finished. You can check out the thread here: http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=viewthread&t=77819

Thanks everyone for your kind words!

I wanted to save this for later, but I can't help myself.

Spoiler:

Last edited by Yakibomb on Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:25 am 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Good use of the Walrus Buff. It's neat seeing the little tusked mammal show up in a Super NES hack.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:59 pm 
SMRPG Fanatic
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
BlockblisterVideo wrote:
Good use of the Walrus Buff. It's neat seeing the little tusked mammal show up in a Super NES hack.

I thought it would make some MFGGers happy, that's why I included it. Plus I think the little guy is cool, hence "Walrus Yeah!"

Here is a new spell, "Overcast", for Toadstool. Over on SMWC another user passed me some ideas on what spells Peach could have, and this is one of them.
This is just a test animation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRrt_EZ23K4&feature=youtu.be

A side note, I'm having trouble coming up with ideas for what Peach's single target heal spell will be, animation and name. Due to me liking a suggestion, Toadstool is all about bombs and fireworks in this, so I thought it'd be appropriate to change her heal spells to reflect this change. Not sure on what it could be, however.

For her party-wide heal spell, she'll send up a firework and it'll rain down confetti and heal everyone. Not sure on the name, but some ideas are:
- Group Shower
- Power Shower
- Star Shower

I guess I'm asking for ideas, however any comments are appreciated.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:48 am 
SMRPG Fanatic
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
So the party-wide heal spell will be cut in favor of two new additions. "WHAT? Toadstool not getting a party-wide heal spell? You're a [insert derogatory remark for a developer]. No thanks!" But you'll be pleasantly surprised with the new additions, trust me. The void will be filled with these two new additions:

One is a new rare item: The "Hyper Orb"! By using this, you'll be able to learn one of the five new learnable spells (divided up into five unique items, for each kind of spell). One of these spells is a party-wide heal spell that heals and restores status. This would be Toadstool's move, but now it can be learned by anybody! Characters can only learn one spell at a time, and they may be mixed and matched between party members.

The second addition is a new spell for Toadstool that replaces the party-wide heals: "Take Cover!" By using this, all party members will instantly use the "Defend" command, which causes all incoming damage to be reduced by 50%. In addition, all status ailments are removed.
Toadstool's spells are all bomb and explosive based, so this fits appropriately as a bomb-move and a support-type spell!

Here are screen shots in-game:

By timing this just after the warning, the whole team is invulnerable for until their next turn! Pretty nifty, it should save you A LOT of trouble later in the game.

That's all for this update.

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
 [ 10 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic