Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  [ 45 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 
 [no]
 Post subject: Mushroom Kingdom SHOWDOWN!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:52 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
Hello fellow Mario fans!

I've been inactive from MFGG for several months now. I've finished my 5th Super Wario fan game, but I've done more than that.
In early-mid August, I started on a little project, that grew to be... not so little :laugh: I uploaded progression videos on Youtube, got thousands of views and a lot of feedback, and now it's one of the most popular type of content on my channel. I've been working almost every day with this game, despite school, friends etc. Not becuase I feel I have to, but because it's so darn fun to do.

The game is called Mushroom Kingdom Showdown. It's a fighting game, inspired by Smash Bros., that's built up from scratch by me. (Well, kinda. I use the Platform Movement Object, but other than that, it's, well, done by me). Sprites and graphics are not mine, however. I've been working REALLY hard on this game, and I believe it's approaching a completion.

It's about you, fighting another Mushroom Kingdom character. It's 2 players, or 1 VS CPU (yup, got some CPU AI programming practice while making this :laugh: ). You can play Classic Mode, Target Smash, or normal Showdown. You have HP instead of percent damage, and you build up a so-called Showdown Attack by attacking, and you unleash a Ultimate attack (similar to Final Smashes in some way). Each character has 4 recolors! And the roster currently consist of 23 playable characters! All have the following attacks:

Jab (usually a combo)
Side Tilt
Down Tilt
Running Attack
Air Attack
Standard Special
Down Special
Up Special
Showdown Attack
Air Dodge

There's also a ton of stages for you to play on. I try my best to make it as professional as possible, by also trying to make it competitive. Several of the characters are also unlockable ones. Several people have also streamed little tournaments of it on Twitch (though, they're not huge streamers, but very cool nontheless!) I can say for sure that I've never used my brain as much as making this :laugh: It has been, no doubt, the most frustrating, and fun, game I've made. And it's not complete yet. Up until now, I've released 8 demos (I think?). People have also made a whole Wiki for the game, where they update it all the time, with characters, movesets, stages, Tier Lists, and so on. That really makes me hyped to make it as good as possible! :agree:

So, the game is big. I mean the file. The filesize. It's around 60 MB. So I cannot upload it to the main page :( So that's why I'm posting it here, and I'm begging for your feedback :biggrin: I will now post a download link to the newest version below, as well as pictures and a link to the newest video of the game. Oh, and a link to the Wiki if you want to pay it a visit :biggrin: I really hope you try it out, and most importantly, enjoy it! Many, many hours have been put into this, and I hope it turns out alright. Feedback would be godly :laugh:

v.0.8 DOWNLOAD: http://www.mediafire.com/download/u5ql2 ... +v.0.8.zip

v.0.8 VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZagNQaE6B3E

MKS WIKI: http://mushroom-kingdom-showdown.wikia. ... wdown_Wiki

PICTURES:

[fr]
 Post subject: Re: Mushroom Kingdom SHOWDOWN!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:10 pm 
Dart. Still a basic FC. For now.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
First thing I'd like to point out: most of the stages look pretty big, and in comparison the characters look extremely small. You might want to fix that (if it's not done already). Now I need to test this demo, but so far the idea seem interesting.

Keep it up!

User page at mfgg.net

[no]
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:21 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
Tortwag wrote:
First thing I'd like to point out: most of the stages look pretty big, and in comparison the characters look extremely small. You might want to fix that (if it's not done already). Now I need to test this demo, but so far the idea seem interesting.

Keep it up!

Thank you! Yes, the stages might be too big. I might scale them down or make some smaller ones :agree:

[zz]
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:27 pm 
I, Papyrus, am awesome!
[*]
[*]
[*]
Okay, who the hell is that Wario-lookalike with the white clothing?

What I also support:
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[no]
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:35 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
TrinitroMan wrote:
Okay, who the hell is that Wario-lookalike with the white clothing?

That's........................ me. Yup. Don't ask. Illuminati confirmed. That's it.....

Haha, but seriously, many people on my videos asked if I could add myself in and... this is the result :laugh:

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:51 pm 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
if "you" are a wario recolor than make it an extra palette for wario, rather than a full character

[no]
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:52 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
Mit wrote:
if "you" are a wario recolor than make it an extra palette for wario, rather than a full character

That was the idea. It actually is a recolor as well. But this WwwWario character has a completely unique moveset, though. He's only a clone visually.

[zz]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:58 am 
I, Papyrus, am awesome!
[*]
[*]
[*]
WwwWario wrote:
Mit wrote:

That was the idea. It actually is a recolor as well. But this WwwWario character has a completely unique moveset, though. He's only a clone visually.

Wait, that white Wario-lookalike is a FREAKING OC?!
Oh god, please not this s*** again!

What I also support:
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:06 pm 
Watashi Wa
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Haha that Wario OC. I can't help but appreciate a game with two Warios in it.

So I gave it a shot at work today and played a little bit with a few characters. The first and most obvious complaint is how much the graphics clash. I guess it isn't so bad for a lot of characters since they all seem to come from GBA games and the M&L series. It could still be better. DK really stands out. Sometimes the characters use badly drawn MSPaint things, like Bowser's spiky ball. You probably could have used a spiny or something in place of drawing your own.

The MSPaint thing is everywhere really, in the UI, attacks, stages. Wherever there isn't an actual Nintendo graphic really. It can be really jarring. Notable examples, again Bowser's spiky ball, the single player's UI, and the background of that really flat Mario stage.

I was surprised that the UI was as robust as it was. I actually liked it. It looks unfinished though, so I imagine it isn't done.

A lot of attacks don't do a lot of damage, so matches tend to drag on. I'm glad there is an option to reduce the HP. (On that note I'm surprised showdowns and items are off by default).

Recolor Wario's YouTube based attacks are strange and offputting. He doesn't fit with the other characters and usually doing this kind of thing is frowned apon (as you can see from the comments above)

Here's the jist of it:
+decent GUI
+lots of characters and stages
+Two Warios

-A lot of bad MSPaint art clashing with more intricate graphics
-Attacks do not do much damage
-Two Warios

User page at mfgg.net

[no]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:25 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
Syaxamaphone wrote:
Haha that Wario OC. I can't help but appreciate a game with two Warios in it.

So I gave it a shot at work today and played a little bit with a few characters. The first and most obvious complaint is how much the graphics clash. I guess it isn't so bad for a lot of characters since they all seem to come from GBA games and the M&L series. It could still be better. DK really stands out. Sometimes the characters use badly drawn MSPaint things, like Bowser's spiky ball. You probably could have used a spiny or something in place of drawing your own.

The MSPaint thing is everywhere really, in the UI, attacks, stages. Wherever there isn't an actual Nintendo graphic really. It can be really jarring. Notable examples, again Bowser's spiky ball, the single player's UI, and the background of that really flat Mario stage.

I was surprised that the UI was as robust as it was. I actually liked it. It looks unfinished though, so I imagine it isn't done.

A lot of attacks don't do a lot of damage, so matches tend to drag on. I'm glad there is an option to reduce the HP. (On that note I'm surprised showdowns and items are off by default).

Recolor Wario's YouTube based attacks are strange and offputting. He doesn't fit with the other characters and usually doing this kind of thing is frowned apon (as you can see from the comments above)

Here's the jist of it:
+decent GUI
+lots of characters and stages
+Two Warios

-A lot of bad MSPaint art clashing with more intricate graphics
-Attacks do not do much damage
-Two Warios

Hmm... I see. Thanks for the feedback :) Looks like my work didn't really turn out very well... :\ I had to make a lot of the animations myself, yes, because they were'nt included in the sheet. So that's why a lot of the stuff looks... well, horrible :P And I regret putting in WwwWario now, seing how you guys have a good point.... What did you think of the gameplay, though? I mean, the knockback, speed, fast-falling, Air Dodging, etc? Did it work well?

I'm sorry it didn't turn out good after all... :\

[no]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:25 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
TrinitroMan wrote:
WwwWario wrote:
Mit wrote:

Well, he was highly requested... so I put him in to please my fans. I had no idea this was a common thing to do :\ Sorry :\

[zz]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:30 pm 
I, Papyrus, am awesome!
[*]
[*]
[*]
WwwWario wrote:
TrinitroMan wrote:
WwwWario wrote:

Well, he was highly requested... so I put him in to please my fans. I had no idea this was a common thing to do :\ Sorry :\

Wait a minute, someone requested your OC to be included?
Okay, let me guess: The one to request you that is called Neo_Fire_Sonic, right?
But yeah, OCs that are self-inserts are usually frowned upon, especially if their design is just a recolor of an already existing character.
But yeah, don't let yourself down just because of it. Everyone learns from mistakes.
I really hope that this game will eventually evolve into something awesome, since the premise is good indeed.

What I also support:
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:43 pm 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I played through Classic mode on Normal difficulty earlier. I thought the game was a fun experience, aside from a few flaws like the clashing graphics and the inconsistent sizes of character sprites (Donkey Kong is way too big, and some of the other characters are too small in relation to the window size). I think it's really cool that your fans have set up a Wiki documenting each character.

Customizable controls would be a nice thing to add.

User page at mfgg.net

[no]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:58 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
VinnyVideo wrote:
I played through Classic mode on Normal difficulty earlier. I thought the game was a fun experience, aside from a few flaws like the clashing graphics and the inconsistent sizes of character sprites (Donkey Kong is way too big, and some of the other characters are too small in relation to the window size). I think it's really cool that your fans have set up a Wiki documenting each character.

Customizable controls would be a nice thing to add.

Thank you :) Actually, Customizable controls ARE in! :) Click on "File" and you will find it :laugh:

[no]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:58 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
TrinitroMan wrote:
WwwWario wrote:
TrinitroMan wrote:

Wait a minute, someone requested your OC to be included?
Okay, let me guess: The one to request you that is called Neo_Fire_Sonic, right?
But yeah, OCs that are self-inserts are usually frowned upon, especially if their design is just a recolor of an already existing character.
But yeah, don't let yourself down just because of it. Everyone learns from mistakes.
I really hope that this game will eventually evolve into something awesome, since the premise is good indeed.

Thank you! Well, nah, it wasn't this Neo guy. It was actually a lot of people in the comment section of my Youtube videos who requested it x)

[zz]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:25 pm 
I, Papyrus, am awesome!
[*]
[*]
[*]
WwwWario wrote:
It was actually a lot of people in the comment section of my Youtube videos who requested it x)

Ohh...well, that explains it.

What I also support:
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[nl]
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:02 am 
Wreck 'n get stomped
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
I honestly wouldn't mind wwwWario being in there if you add original elements to the character, instead of mere recoloring. Give him something that makes him look different from the original Wario, and I think your problem is solved.
That aside, the graphics tend to clash a lot. Like, M&L sprites combined with NSMB and 8-bit Mario games? It looks bad, sorry man. The gameplay is pretty solid and enjoyable, it's just that the graphics are not good. If you fixed that, it would be a great fangame, but as of right now it's a big step down from your previous games imo.

User page at mfgg.net

[no]
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:42 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
WreckingGoomba wrote:
I honestly wouldn't mind wwwWario being in there if you add original elements to the character, instead of mere recoloring. Give him something that makes him look different from the original Wario, and I think your problem is solved.
That aside, the graphics tend to clash a lot. Like, M&L sprites combined with NSMB and 8-bit Mario games? It looks bad, sorry man. The gameplay is pretty solid and enjoyable, it's just that the graphics are not good. If you fixed that, it would be a great fangame, but as of right now it's a big step down from your previous games imo.

I see. Thanks for the feedback :)

You're right, my games really have gotten worse and worse as I've made them :\ Maybe game making just isn't my thing... I think I'll just release this now and go off the game making arena, and rather just enjoy other people's games :( :agree:

[zz]
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:37 am 
I, Papyrus, am awesome!
[*]
[*]
[*]
WwwWario wrote:
WreckingGoomba wrote:

You're right, my games really have gotten worse and worse as I've made them :\ Maybe game making just isn't my thing... I think I'll just release this now and go off the game making arena, and rather just enjoy other people's games :( :agree:

No no no, you really shouldn't give up.
Sure we do mistakes, but we also learn from mistakes, and become better from time to time.
Coding in general can be a very tedious process at times, and very often one needs a good amount of patience for that.
And it seems that you have a good amount of patience, judging from the amount of playable characters in this game.

What I also support:
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[no]
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:24 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
TrinitroMan wrote:
WwwWario wrote:
WreckingGoomba wrote:

No no no, you really shouldn't give up.
Sure we do mistakes, but we also learn from mistakes, and become better from time to time.
Coding in general can be a very tedious process at times, and very often one needs a good amount of patience for that.
And it seems that you have a good amount of patience, judging from the amount of playable characters in this game.

Thank you :) I'll see what I'll do... but this thing with learning by failing, well, it's true, but to me, it doesn't feel like it has any effect. From several sources, I've heard that my 3rd Wario game was worse than my 2nd, and my 4th was worse than my 3rd, and so on. And some has said that this game is even underwhelming compared to my previous ones, which is in fact true. So, well, I don't know - it feels like it only goes downwards instead of up.

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  [ 45 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic