[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Rystar (in Skype) wrote:
Yeah, like I told Nite Shadow: I'm just the kind of person to find a 10-year old scrapped game and finish it myself.

Now, a question I would like to ask: if anyone out there is in contact with FanGuy, mind letting me ask for his permission?

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
 Post subject: Re: Mario's Mansion 3
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:15 pm 
Goodbye.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
in your defense,
it is a SCRAPPED concept, and has been abandoned for 10 years.
glad to see it get continued one way, or the other myself.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:17 pm 
следующая игра скоро будет
Dairy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Nite Shadow wrote:
in your defense,
it is a SCRAPPED concept, and has been abandoned for 10 years.
glad to see it get continued one way, or the other myself.

Thank you! :)

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:32 pm 
heartbeat, increasing heartbeat
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
This looks rather interesting! A seldom-attempted idea - I await it's release and the subsequent reaction of the community!

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:36 pm 
Dairy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Genogenesis7 wrote:
This looks rather interesting! A seldom-attempted idea - I await it's release and the subsequent reaction of the community!

I too await the reaction of people around here. ^^;

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:42 pm 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

This is a pretty cool idea, actually. The only contact information I can find is FanGuy's mainsite account - I'll see if I can get in touch with him. If I can't, I'd go for it - I doubt he'd raise an objection to this.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:45 pm 
Dairy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
VinnyVideo wrote:
This is a pretty cool idea, actually. The only contact information I can find is FanGuy's mainsite account - I'll see if I can get in touch with him. If I can't, I'd go for it - I doubt he'd raise an objection to this.

Yeah, the latter was my main concern at most until I realized he probably wouldn't care. I'm glad people like this so far ^^

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:11 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Looks cool, but just one, hopefully light-hearted and probably dumb question: is it a joke game in any way?

Last edited by behind on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:50 am 
Needs more Custom Title Request forum.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
i've got a contact with him that he goes on occasionally - i'll ask him next time i see him on (it's how i got permission to use the WiTT Mario/Luigi/Peach sprites, since they come from new sprites he was working on that never really got used in any game)

also i believe the scrapped version to the main site - was that the unprotected version?

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:46 pm 
Dairy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
DJ Yoshiman wrote:
i've got a contact with him that he goes on occasionally - i'll ask him next time i see him on (it's how i got permission to use the WiTT Mario/Luigi/Peach sprites, since they come from new sprites he was working on that never really got used in any game)

also i believe the scrapped version to the main site - was that the unprotected version?

Alright, that'd be much appreciated ^^;

Concerning the question... well, long story short, do any of you remember a program I posted in Developer Discussion a while back? It let the user remove the protection from certain TGF game files. While it does it's other job very well (that is, letting you view the resources directly), the protection removal is hit-and-miss for various reasons. After downloading the scrapped MM3 from the main site with the intent of rebuilding it from scratch when I first got this idea, I threw it into the program out of curiosity - it was successful. Oddly enough, this version of the game contained no unused levels or objects or anything, which is very peculiar; so everything after the original demo's end is entirely my work. I also did a few tweaks to a couple of bits beforehand, which are noticeable if you put the scrapped version and mine side-by-side.

Remember, I did this without any malicious intent or anything. I honestly don't see what's wrong about unlocking a scrapped game from 10 years ago and giving the original creator half the credit for what's roughly 20% his work while I build onward. Then again, I guess people have different views with this sort of thing, but you've all been nice about this so far, so a change of attitude would certainly surprise me.

User page at mfgg.net

[sc]
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:29 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
This is actually a very cool idea. There are quite a few great games out there that got scrapped for one reason or another. And if the original creator can't/won't finish it, I see no reason that someone else shouldn't finish it.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:00 pm 
Dairy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Fez wrote:
This is actually a very cool idea. There are quite a few great games out there that got scrapped for one reason or another. And if the original creator can't/won't finish it, I see no reason that someone else shouldn't finish it.

You're very right, there are a number of scrapped games out there that never got finished, sadly. I picked to finish this one in particular because of a few reasons: For one thing, it was supposed to be the end of a trilogy, so the logical thing to do would have it somehow be completed to round out the series. Secondly, the creator has long left MFGG, so it was far less likely he had been working on it secretly or something for 10+ years. Finally, I grew up with quite a few games on MFGG, and I fondly remember finishing the second Mario's Mansion long ago when I was much younger, back when I was just getting into the fangame scene ^^;

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:46 pm 
Goodbye.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Rystar wrote:
DJ Yoshiman wrote:

Alright, that'd be much appreciated ^^;

Concerning the question... well, long story short, do any of you remember a program I posted in Developer Discussion a while back? It let the user remove the protection from certain TGF game files. While it does it's other job very well (that is, letting you view the resources directly), the protection removal is hit-and-miss for various reasons. After downloading the scrapped MM3 from the main site with the intent of rebuilding it from scratch when I first got this idea, I threw it into the program out of curiosity - it was successful. Oddly enough, this version of the game contained no unused levels or objects or anything, which is very peculiar; so everything after the original demo's end is entirely my work. I also did a few tweaks to a couple of bits beforehand, which are noticeable if you put the scrapped version and mine side-by-side.

Remember, I did this without any malicious intent or anything. I honestly don't see what's wrong about unlocking a scrapped game from 10 years ago and giving the original creator half the credit for what's roughly 20% his work while I build onward. Then again, I guess people have different views with this sort of thing, but you've all been nice about this so far, so a change of attitude would certainly surprise me.

Sounds like a gray area really.
you decrypted the file, with no intentions of stealing the file you were decrypting,
you did not circumvent any credits, full credit appears to be given to the rightful owner of the idea.
you added on to the game, and from the look of it, trying to keep the theme set in place.
You did not have permission, however, you were unable to acquire permission, and you made attempts to get permission, and actively still are.
i see no intent to insult, troll, or otherwise be hurtful to the original creator.
plus the concept has been scrapped and has been abandoned for 10 years,

on top of this, you seem to have support from a small chunk of of the forums.
I see more green than red in all this, as attempts were made to do what was right, and even when the wrong thing was done, you were honest with it, and are making attempts to do right with it.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:44 pm 
Space wife
[*]
A continuation eh?

I remember there being a demo many many moons ago and it was pretty fun, much more fun than the previous installments(although really just was because it had a much more stable difficulty).

Looks neat though, I hope you get permission to finish it(if you haven't already), as I really did like the series, even if he did use his own fan-character in the game(s).

[ca]
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:17 am 
Dairy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Zae wrote:
A continuation eh?

I remember there being a demo many many moons ago and it was pretty fun, much more fun than the previous installments(although really just was because it had a much more stable difficulty).

Looks neat though, I hope you get permission to finish it(if you haven't already), as I really did like the series, even if he did use his own fan-character in the game(s).

Honestly, I see no reason for him to decline permission (being optimistic about it helps :D), but I'll go by his wishes if he does. I just hope that's not the case :'(

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:36 am 
I'll be your 1-Up boy.
Social Media Manager
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Honestly, you should seek permission before you start working on things like this so that you don't waste your time if they don't want you to.

Regardless of whether or not it was scrapped, you shouldn't assume it'd be fine.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:42 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Pedigree wrote:
Honestly, you should seek permission before you start working on things like this so that you don't waste your time if they don't want you to.

Regardless of whether or not it was scrapped, you shouldn't assume it'd be fine.

this is Fanguy we're talking about here, ha ha

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:58 am 
Space wife
[*]
Yeah... Fanguy is a bit... unique compared to most people haha.

[ca]
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:13 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
in fact, it also helps that i started using his sprites he was intending for a fangame that never even made the spotlight before i even asked him, and when i got a hold of him later on, he was like "yeah, no problem, i'm not into that any more, so help yourself!"

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:14 pm 
Dairy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Progress is currently going along pretty well, for anyone who's curious. As for the people who are concerned about the permission and all that, I think what Yoshiman said just above me should at least lower your worries a bit. While I still wish to get his permission, it's not a top priority right now, as I'm now sure he wouldn't mind at all.

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 26 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic