[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
I did recall Hello made a SMB2 engine. Which is glitchy and choppy like his SMB engine. So I decided to leave my SMW engine due to the coding and physics are horrible, and started this:

Supernova Mario Bros. 2 Engine (Saturn Mario Engine 4)
Platform: Game Maker 8.0 (Pro)

Which features (Planned):
  • Generic SMB2 pull-n-throw system
  • Some additions from Super Mario Advance (GBA)
  • Jump-through slopes (?)
  • Character selection system
  • Organized coding (Easy to switch key options and global functions uses an object called obj_SYSTEM instead of global.[function] which reduce system memory usage) [Thanks to DarkBlueYoshi and Kremling]
  • Subspace system
  • No Game Maker's built image transformation, it messes up the collision boxes
  • FMOD music system
  • More to be planned.

Current progress:
[Dec 05, 2012] - Finished basics platforming physics (Ducking, jumping, solid, jump-through slopes collisions.) [Thanks to Drazeey for the slope bug fix.]
[Dec 15, 2012] - Updated with animations and veggie pulling/throwing system. [Thanks to Drazeey again.]
[Dec 17, 2012] - Added climbing physics and fixed the pulling bug.
[Dec 19, 2012] - Fixed climbing glitch someone on Skype [Doc actually] reported
- Added sound effect
- Added super crouch jump
- Added Shyguys
[Dec 21, 2012] - Added health system & death with floating hearts.
- Fixed veggie pull glitch
- Added cherries & starman system
- Added doors, mushroom blocks
- Added background
- Added FMOD music system
- Added Subspace system!!! With coins & hidden shrooms!
[Mar 09, 2013] - Better pulling animation
- No more mushroom block hanging in the air on the ledge corner

Downloads (It will update every time when a progress is posted):
Current version Zipped [4.32 MB]

OLD GMK file [64.7 kb]

Feel free to drop suggestions.

Last edited by Hypernova on Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:34 am, edited 9 times in total.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
 Post subject: Re: Supernova Mario Bros. 2 Engine
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:11 am 
The Quantifiably Quip-tic QC Dude
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
It's working well so far. Much neater coding, too.

Also, I like the idea of using a persistent object for global variables; I'll be trying that out.

Image Refs - Something new's gonna show up here, I just know it! - DeviantArt - YouTubeImage
???!, 10%

User page at mfgg.net

[es]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:14 am 
I'm just a little adorable kitty :3
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I made this for your engine.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:16 pm 
Also known as Yoshiro / Super_Yoshiro
[*]
[*]
[*]
Yes! YES! GO GO GO. *Ahem* I've been needing one of these but I despise Hello engines (who doesn't?). I was afraid to make one myself (even though I probably could) but I have yet to learn smb2 physics and holding things yet.(well, not that good at it.)

Keep up the good work. Also, I tested your smw engine. It's great, but it's lacking. (Though we can simply add things)
And I think it's one of the better engines in existence.

Looking forward to this. I may gather a team and create Weegee vs. SMB2 (yes, Weegee.)

Most hated classic: Super Mario epic 2

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:17 pm 
[*]
[*]
Perhaps now we will see some Super Mario Bros. 2 fan games in here. By the way, are you making a Sub-Space system?

User page at mfgg.net

[tw]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:19 pm 
福瑞退化者
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Sub-Space system?

Yes.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:09 am 
C# Programmer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Why do you keep on making the same kind of engines? Why not stick to one and build on it, or, if GM doesn't limit it, abstract out parts of the physics, if its the only real difference between engines. Otherwise, i just see wasted time on the same engine over and over. Whats really unique about this anyways?

Focus on the performance, the idea, not the technical bits or details - Milt Kahl

[zz]
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:51 am 
First off, I'm kind of sad that you discontinued the SMW engine, but I'm really glad to see you're making an open source engine based off my favorite Mario game. I've always loved the stuff that you've created. You're incredibly talented with game maker, and do not disappoint.

Anyways, I'm pretty interested to see your progress on this engine. There's just one thing, when you implement the "pull-n-throw" system, I've got a suggestion for the graphical animation of Mario (whenever you decide to add the graphics into the engine).

Basically, I made this little mock-up to compare the frames of animation in Hello's SMB2 engine compared to the frames in the Super Mario All-Stars version of Super Mario Bros. 2.

In Hello's engine, Mario only has 1 frame for when he is pulling a vegetable out of the ground (or enemy, item, etc). However, in Super Mario All-Stars, when an object was pulled, it had sort of a fluent animation showing Mario actually pulling it, and holding it. Since you're trying to stay true to the original game, I think this would help your engine to be as close to the original as possible (at least graphically).

Also, a frame where the player is throwing the item or vegetable would be a nice addition as well, considering Hello's engine didn't have that either.

I don't think this should be too hard to do, but it always bothered me how Hello's engine lacked the frames that the Super Mario All-Stars version contained, and besides the fact that his engine is choppy, it was one of the first things I noticed.

Honestly, I didn't know if you were going to include all these things I just said, so I decided to suggest them to you just in case. Though, if you were planning to do so, then that's great. You're pretty early in development, so I guess you can say that this is a suggestion for the future. Good luck on this though, I have faith in what you do.

[aq]
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:57 am 
Obey.
[*]
[*]
TheShyGuy wrote:
Why do you keep on making the same kind of engines? Why not stick to one and build on it, or, if GM doesn't limit it, abstract out parts of the physics, if its the only real difference between engines. Otherwise, i just see wasted time on the same engine over and over. Whats really unique about this anyways?

This is an SMB2 engine. SMB2 and SMW work differently. That's what he was attempting to do. It's not a significant engine, just Hello Engine with obsession on slopes and the lack of animation states to make life harder (edit: with some patches and a little modification here and there). But it looks great to the player, it's just messy behind the scenes.
I haven't downloaded the engine yet. Cool!

Last edited by DarkBlueYoshi on Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

User page at mfgg.net

[tw]
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:00 am 
福瑞退化者
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
TheShyGuy wrote:
Why do you keep on making the same kind of engines?

It's not the same kind due to the fact I code in a different way and I can't stick/continue my old engines since my code is messy and variables are pretty messy.

User page at mfgg.net

[aq]
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:10 am 
Obey.
[*]
[*]
supernova wrote:
TheShyGuy wrote:
Why do you keep on making the same kind of engines?

It's not the same kind due to the fact I code in a different way and I can't stick/continue my old engines since my code is messy and variables are pretty messy.

What he was saying is that the structure of the engine is the same as before.
Like this: player, enemy, system, item, block over and over again.
Make a more extendable system like this:
System, Graphics, Sound, Physics, Block, Item, Entity, TileEntity, MobEntity, PlayerEntity, GameRegistry.

You did good in the system, but there's much more to object-oriented design.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:03 pm 
Also known as Yoshiro / Super_Yoshiro
[*]
[*]
[*]
I feel his pain. It really is tough to stick to an engine because we are humans and we can forget. And when one (global) variable is forgotten and you're unable to find it, well, that object will probably have to be painfully remade. (not saying this is his problem here) but I just agree with him that messy variables can slow down the process and often discourage an individual from working on his project.

I once created an engine, basic one five years ago (with some experimental fake 3D[and a little D3D], but I sucked)
Since I wasn't that good, I kind of lost my place, and deleted the "secret" project. (And that's when rpg maker came along and so on xD)

Most hated classic: Super Mario epic 2

User page at mfgg.net

[aq]
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:35 pm 
Obey.
[*]
[*]
Syr wrote:
I feel his pain. It really is tough to stick to an engine because we are humans and we can forget. And when one (global) variable is forgotten and you're unable to find it, well, that object will probably have to be painfully remade. (not saying this is his problem here) but I just agree with him that messy variables can slow down the process and often discourage an individual from working on his project.

I once created an engine, basic one five years ago (with some experimental fake 3D[and a little D3D], but I sucked)
Since I wasn't that good, I kind of lost my place, and deleted the "secret" project. (And that's when rpg maker came along and so on xD)

Yeah, I stopped making my 3D game because of the lack of object-oriented design, polymorphism, inheritance, reflection, generics, and all those awesome stuff. But it's his chance to change it before the engine gets too big, just like what happened to me (and yes, Mushroom Kingdom Fusion too). I discontinued it.

Edit: I tried out the engine. It looks pretty clean not gonna lie, but the slopes could've been better. Even with my monitor's extremely dense pixels, I still could see the player bumping on the slopes. It's more visible when you're on the tip of two slopes moving left and right. Also, the difference is getting further from HE. Cool.

Edit2: The scripts should have parameters or variables instead of using "magical" numbers.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:45 pm 
C# Programmer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Object-oriented design isn't the only way to make a game. Try googling a component-based system, or an entity system. I would explain more about it, but i think googling would be best. Besides an alternate engine design, you should try looking up design patterns.

Focus on the performance, the idea, not the technical bits or details - Milt Kahl

[aq]
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:51 pm 
Obey.
[*]
[*]
TheShyGuy wrote:
Object-oriented design isn't the only way to make a game. Try googling a component-based system, or an entity system. I would explain more about it, but i think googling would be best. Besides an alternate engine design, you should try looking up design patterns.

Component-based system is evil. It made my game messy.
The entity system is just object-oriented design and polymorphism.
Use interfaces and virtual classes and functions. With virtual functions, you can call the base class functions in a derived class. It's cleaner than a component-based system. Use components little as possible for objects in a class or inherting multiole classes which is impossible in C#/Java.

Another design pattern is reflections. I knew this from sindii. I think it's using class names or something like that?

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:27 pm 
C# Programmer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
I think we may be thinking of the component-based system (which is an entity system) differently. Also, i've never heard of using reflection as being a design pattern. I've actually heard that its slow, but maybe it's a misconception. I don't want to derail supernova's thread so if you want to continue discussion, we can through pm.

[tw]
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:06 pm 
福瑞退化者
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Component-based system? Sounds interesting/confusing at the same time. Since I'm not that advanced yet. Perhaps some sort of easier GML-ish explanation will work.

And here's another update:
[Dec 15, 2012] - Updated with animations and veggie pulling/throwing system. [Thanks to Drazeey again.]

User page at mfgg.net

[jp]
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:12 pm 
Yeah, I don't Even...
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Theres a glitch I found in your update, if you tap the pull button, with a veggi grass touching you, for a second, the system will think it's carring the veggi when it's not actually carring anything.

User page at mfgg.net

[tw]
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:19 pm 
福瑞退化者
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Quick fixed! Silly me, I forget to modify obj_player.haveobj.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:51 pm 
C# Programmer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
err one sec...accidental post.

Last edited by TheShyGuy on Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  [ 47 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic