Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next  [ 141 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 
Super Mario Bros: Ztar Turmoil, Guns, blood, platforming, and more...
 [us]
 Post subject: Super Mario Bros: Ztar Turmoil
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:12 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
A dark force has begun to sweep over the Mushroom Kingdom. Guns have been introduced into the world mysteriously, and are being used to bring about death and destruction. It is up to Mario (or Luigi) to save the Mushroom Kingdom from the Ztars.

Download

Last edited by Hello on Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
 Post subject: Re: Super Mario Bros: Ztar Turmoil
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:30 pm 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

So it's another 2-D Hello shooter, only with darker environments and some fancy-pants graphical effects. If you've never played any of Hello's shooters, you might want to give it a go. If you've played SMB: Bloody Battles, though, you won't miss anything if you skip this.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:51 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
VinnyVideo wrote:
So it's another 2-D Hello shooter, only with darker environments and some fancy-pants graphical effects. If you've never played any of Hello's shooters, you might want to give it a go. If you've played SMB: Bloody Battles, though, you won't miss anything if you skip this.

Err... Yes you will. You'll see once you play it.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:03 pm 
следующая игра скоро будет
Dairy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Hello, don't start with us again. Just looking at the screenshots for this, approximately 65% is predictable rubbish. You can say everything's "different", but open up your windows and let some fresh air in, because the truth is as simple as it's always been:

Same. Generic. Game.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:15 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Alright, you need to at least try the game before critiquing, or else your criticisms are just rubbish.

Last edited by Hello on Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:15 pm 
C# Programmer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
I find it ironic that supernovas game on TSR was negatively criticized because he made an unoriginal mario fangame - before they even played it. Now here we are and you guys are doing the same. "Its another hello game, just like his other games, this will be the same, generic game". I bet TSR was thinking the same thing about supernova's, or any other fangame they've seen.

I haven't been here long enough to truly understand why people hate Hello, but ,tbh, from those screenshots, it looks better than most fangames i see on this site. Now i haven't played the game so i can't truly defend it for what it is but i can defend it for being wrongly bashed.

Hello wrote:
Alright, you need to at least try the game before critiquing, or else your criticisms are just rubbish.

This is so true. Your criticism is garbage if you haven't even played the game.

Focus on the performance, the idea, not the technical bits or details - Milt Kahl

[ca]
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:27 pm 
Needs more Custom Title Request forum.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
i think Hello is angry at me

and then it repeats back to the first screen

so, anyways, i played this - like, actually played it

yeah, you really won't miss anything - there's a few added graphic coolness and an actual form of storyline, but it literally felt like i was playing Bloody Battles game; only this time, i actually started ditching the guns halfway through, because they felt deterring. not to mention i couldn't run with the machine gun because i'd be pouring out bullets due to shooting and running being linked to the same key

i really, really want to see something new with the Hello games - and a different tile set, please. this one is really irritating by now

Hello wrote:
Err... Yes you will. You'll see once you play it.

is this you assuming that Vinny hasn't played the game? i don't see where he said he didn't play it

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:40 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
DJ Yoshiman wrote:
i think Hello is angry at me

and then it repeats back to the first screen

Actually, it displays the name of whoever is playing it. ;)

DJ Yoshiman wrote:
so, anyways, i played this - like, actually played it

yeah, you really won't miss anything - there's a few added graphic coolness and an actual form of storyline, but it literally felt like i was playing Bloody Battles game; only this time, i actually started ditching the guns halfway through, because they felt deterring. not to mention i couldn't run with the machine gun because i'd be pouring out bullets due to shooting and running being linked to the same key

The first level was designed to be easier, so that you could get used to the game. You will need the guns later on. (Ex. Using the flamethrower to melt ice.)

DJ Yoshiman wrote:
i really, really want to see something new with the Hello games

Like what?

DJ Yoshiman wrote:
and a different tile set, please. this one is really irritating by now

This is only the third game ever to use those customized ground tiles. (Assuming no one ripped and used them...)

TheShyGuy wrote:
I haven't been here long enough to truly understand why people hate Hello,

Because I released a fully-featured Mario engine that a lot of people have used, and they hate when people only add levels to an engine, and call it a game. Unfortunately, they are forgetting that fangaming is just a hobby, and these people are just doing these things for fun...

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:54 pm 
Dairy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Okay so here's the thing guys:

Hello's got an actual history with this. That is, I should be in no position to expect him to learn anything or change anything, because he never listens. Why should I change my views now? I've played enough of his boring, same-as-always garbage to understand that it's not going to change, and you know what? I don't have to play this to know the same exact thing. Both Vinny and DJ Yoshiman have confirmed my suspicions, so before you go "BAWW YOU'RE BEING UNFAIR AND YOUR CRITICISM IS TOTALLY INVALID", please understand that my criticism is that nothing has changed, and I've already got proof of that without even playing the damned game. It's not an opinion, it's a fact.

Hello, once you stop being so stubborn and actually take in criticism for once, and the reaction of everyone else is notably different, I'll give your game a whirl. But for now? Nope, not even gonna try.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:59 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Vitiman wrote:

Hello's got an actual history with this. That is, I should be in no position to expect him to learn anything or change anything, because he never listens. Why should I change my views now? I've played enough of his boring, same-as-always garbage to understand that it's not going to change, and you know what? I don't have to play this to know the same exact thing. Both Vinny and DJ Yoshiman have confirmed my suspicions, so before you go "BAWW YOU'RE BEING UNFAIR AND YOUR CRITICISM IS TOTALLY INVALID", please understand that my criticism is that nothing has changed, and I've already got proof of that without even playing the damned game. It's not an opinion, it's a fact.

Not true.

Vitiman wrote:
Hello, once you stop being so stubborn and actually take in criticism for once, and the reaction of everyone else is notably different, I'll give your game a whirl. But for now? Nope, not even gonna try.

What criticism? The only critique posted was that it is to similar to SMB: Bloody Battles, even though there are a huge number of gameplay-related improvements, which suggests that they haven't played very far.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:02 pm 
Dairy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Hello wrote:
Vitiman wrote:

Not true.

I find it oddly humorous that your only argument against mine is "not true", even though I (hopefully not bragging here) did a good paragraph about why I'm doing what I'm doing. Get off your high horse, man.

Hello wrote:
Vitiman wrote:

What criticism? The only critique posted was that it is to similar to SMB: Bloody Battles, even though there are a huge number of gameplay-related improvements.

I'm sure if they noticed those, they would have pointed them out, knowing your history with this sort of thing.

User page at mfgg.net

[tw]
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:04 pm 
福瑞退化者
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
My advise IF you can understand:
  • Please change SMB3 characters;
  • No Black Squrriel's tileset, try something new like Drazeey's tileset and recolor them.
  • Add something ORIGINAL, like a piranha plant that shoot lasers like Shoop da Whoop (Yeah, my idea sounds childish but yet, give us a suprise).
  • Make unlockables and/or achievements.
  • Make some minigames on the map, people loves minigames.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:05 pm 
Lucario and/or Braixen = best avatar
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

TheShyGuy wrote:
I find it ironic that supernovas game on TSR was negatively criticized because he made an unoriginal mario fangame - before they even played it. Now here we are and you guys are doing the same. "Its another hello game, just like his other games, this will be the same, generic game". I bet TSR was thinking the same thing about supernova's, or any other fangame they've seen.

Funny thing though, is that we do play them. Literally and figuratively. Literally because we actually give it a shot (because we all know that Hello is capable of doing great games, but chooses not to, but hope that each one we try will be THE game Hello puts more effort into.), and figuratively because 95% of his games are the same (gameplay and graphically).

TheShyGuy wrote:
haven't been here long enough to truly understand why people hate Hello

We don't hate Hello, we hate how seemingly effortless his works are. As I said earlier, we all know Hello is capable of doing amazing things in Game Maker, but he just won't (for whatever reason that is).
TheShyGuy wrote:
tbh, from those screenshots, it looks better than most fangames i see on this site. Now i haven't played the game so i can't truly defend it for what it is but i can defend it for being wrongly bashed.

Go play Bloody Battles, or Crimson Hours, or Dark Days. Notice the similarities. They don't have the fancy lighting effects, but just about everything else is almost the same. And play it before you defend it. You're basically doing what you claim we're doing, only the opposite. Instead of "bashing" a game we "haven't played", you're defending a game that you stated yourself that you haven't played.

And I've got a few things to say about this game now:

I've noticed some really irritating things. One is that there is virtually no cool-down between taking damage, making it EXTREMELY easy to die. instead of getting a couple seconds to distance ourselves, we instantly take another hit. Bangbangbangbangbang, and you're dead. Its quite irritating. I also went right through one of the walls without any slow-down or jumping. Lack of a solid I presume. I was also impressed with how many bullets and stomps it takes to kill enemies. It took 8,000 (I'm exaggerating this number) bullets from the machine guns to kill a koopa, and about 8 stomps to kill by stomping.

Some enemies were placed rather unfairly. An armed koopa I needed to kill to progress was right under and beside a koopa w/ a machine gun, which meant that I had to either shoot the koopa with 1000 bullets and get shot 1000 times all at once, or I could stomp it and get shot by the koopa above it. (why not kill the koopa above? there were other armed koopas and jumping koopas everywhere.) There also a couple instances where I had to tap the jump key to jump over a gap, either because the ceiling was too low, or a platform was too low and it would be too easy to accidentally land on it instead of where I wanted to go.

And this is just a nitpick, but the donut lifts aren't supposed to fall after being touched unless you've been standing on them too long. These just fell no matter if you were on them or not (after touching them once). Also. SAME TILESET DUDE. Change it. I love The Black-squirrel tileset probably as much as you, but you never use anything else.

Last edited by smbmaster99 on Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spoiler:

Fangame(s) I support:
Spoiler:

You can find me on:
Image Image Image Image Image

These are my Smashers of choice:

[ca]
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:05 pm 
Dairy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
supernova wrote:
  • No Black Squrriel's tileset, try something new like Drazeey's tileset and recolor them.
  • Add something ORIGINAL, like a piranha plant that shoot lasers like Shoop da Whoop (Yeah, my idea
  • sounds childish but yet, give us a suprise).

Bam, right there, some valid criticism for you, Hello. Only one of them is refuting your claim that this is significantly different from your other stuff, happy now?

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:10 pm 
Needs more Custom Title Request forum.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Hello wrote:
Actually, it displays the name of whoever is playing it. ;)

ah, i see - my bad

Hello wrote:
The first level was designed to be easier, so that you could get used to the game. You will need the guns later on. (Ex. Using the flamethrower to melt ice.)

i know you need them later on for specific concepts in the level. but other than that, i found myself wanting to throw them away often when it came to enemies (although i did like shooting the Toads, so nice touch there

Hello wrote:
Like what?

okay here we go
- Something other than the BS tile set
- A new game concept that doesn't perform similarly to a previous game you made
- The physics being used for different things (think gravity changes, some ninja features, sky diving, puzzle use, all sorts of possibilities to apply the physics to other creative concepts)
- A different or bizarre environment
- Different title screen set-up and options (the name and difficulty and such setup was refreshing, that was pleasant!)
- Characters beside the Mario brothers
- Different genre
- Unlockables
- Secrets

it's just that you seem to have this amazing ability to code in Game Maker and make amazing products, but i'm tired of seeing the same setup and game over and over. that's what i mean when i say i really, really want to see a complete overhaul and change that would make me review my criticism in your games. you've already done great with the positives i supplied in this post, and the fact that you're responding to people more often now is an amazing feat that i'm pleased to see.

Hello wrote:
This is only the third game ever to use those customized ground tiles. (Assuming no one ripped and used them...)

i saw some BS tiles in my play-through - but definitely show me wrong if i am wrong, i would appreciate it

Hello wrote:
Because I released a fully-featured Mario engine that a lot of people have used, and they hate when people only add levels to an engine, and call it a game. Unfortunately, they are forgetting that fangaming is just a hobby, and these people are just doing these things for fun...

welcome to increasing standards - fangaming isn't just a hobby, it's also a start into what could be a potential career for individuals later on in life

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:14 pm 
Dairy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
You know what, Hello? I've got a challenge for you, and I just now thought of this because... well I don't know but here it is:

Make a simple game without using your Hello Engine. Start from scratch, use graphics other than SMB3 and the BS Tileset, etc. But the important thing is just start from scratch. The length of the game is totally unimportant, it can be as long as you'd want it to.

Go ahead, make my day, Hello. I can tell you're good at this, now prove it.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:21 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
supernova wrote:
  • Add something ORIGINAL, like a piranha plant that shoot lasers like Shoop da Whoop (Yeah, my idea sounds childish but yet, give us a suprise).

These all exist in the game. (Ex. Tons of modified enemies, stop & swap functionality (Not used yet...), coin gambling minigame, etc)

supernova wrote:

Does not affect gameplay.

smbmaster99 wrote:
(because we all know that Hello is capable of doing great games, but chooses not to, but hope that each one we try will be THE game Hello puts more effort into.)

How would you gauge something like that?

smbmaster99 wrote:
Go play Bloody Battles, or Crimson Hours, or Dark Days. Notice the similarities. They don't have the fancy lighting effects, but just about everything else is almost the same.

Yes, there are similarities, but there are just as many differences.

smbmaster99 wrote:
I've noticed some really irritating things. One is that there is virtually no cool-down between taking damage, making it EXTREMELY easy to die. instead of getting a couple seconds to distance ourselves, we instantly take another hit. Bangbangbangbangbang, and you're dead. Its quite irritating.

The damage is supposed to be continuous, so you take less damage if you get out of trouble faster. You get plenty of health to make up for this. (Unless you are playing on Hardcore mode.)

smbmaster99 wrote:
I also went right through one of the walls without any slow-down or jumping. Lack of a solid I presume.

Where?

smbmaster99 wrote:
I was also impressed with how many bullets and stomps it takes to kill enemies. It took 8,000 (I'm exaggerating this number) bullets from the machine guns to kill a koopa, and about 8 stomps to kill by stomping.

Some guns are better than others. Stomping is weak in order to encourage the use of guns.

smbmaster99 wrote:
Some enemies were placed a tad unfairly. An armed koopa I needed to kill to progress was right under and beside a koopa w/ a machine gun, which meant that I had to either shoot the koopa with 1000 bullets and get shot 1000 times all at once, or I could stomp it and get shot by the koopa above it. There also a couple instances where I had to tap the jump key to jump over a gap, either because the ceiling was too low, or a platform was too low and it would be too easy to accidentally land on it instead of where I wanted to go.

Where?

smbmaster99 wrote:
And this is just a nitpick, but the donut lifts aren't supposed to fall after being touched unless you've been standing on them too long. These just fell no matter if you were on them or not (after touching them once).

Red donut lifts are supposed to do that.

DJ Yoshiman wrote:
i know you need them later on for specific concepts in the level. but other than that, i found myself wanting to throw them away often when it came to enemies (although i did like shooting the Toads, so nice touch there

Well, stomping isn't any stronger, so you must have skipped all of the enemies?

DJ Yoshiman wrote:
1) Something other than the BS tile set
2) A new game concept that doesn't perform similarly to a previous game you made
3) The physics being used for different things (think gravity changes, some ninja features, sky diving, puzzle use, all sorts of possibilities to apply the physics to other creative concepts)
4) A different or bizarre environment
5) Different title screen set-up and options (the name and difficulty and such setup was refreshing, that was pleasant!)
6) Characters beside the Mario brothers
7) Different genre
8) Unlockables
9) Secrets

1) Does not affect gameplay.
2) I have done a lot of these in the past, and will continue to do so in future games I make...
3) Maybe.
4) This game kind of has that...
5) Already did that several times.
6) Doesn't really affect gameplay.
7) Shooter? Metroidvania? Those are genres too.
8/9) This game has those.

DJ Yoshiman wrote:
i saw some BS tiles in my play-through - but definitely show me wrong if i am wrong, i would appreciate it

I was talking about the ground tiles. This game does include BS's tiles.

DJ Yoshiman wrote:
welcome to increasing standards - fangaming isn't just a hobby, it's also a start into what could be a potential career for individuals later on in life

Still not a good reason to hate on people...

Last edited by Hello on Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User page at mfgg.net

[tw]
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:36 pm 
福瑞退化者
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Alright, then my bad. Still many audience care about graphics too. Good stuffs is that intro and HUD and lightning system are well made. But yet, many users dislike the overused Black Squrriel's tileset and SMB3. Try something like SMW styled and maybe even make a small edit on the tileset. Other than that, I'm impressed on the polishness.

Last edited by Hypernova on Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:55 pm 
Founder of SMB2010 series
[*]
[*]
WHAT supernova said!
Hello, its like you're not even trying to listen! You should really consider starting from scratch because, it's really just the same when you use the same engine. Even if it takes you years to make, just try to make a fangame (or even game) thats not made with the same engine. It shows you're too lazy to try something better.

Super Mario Brothers Doomsday
Super Mario Brothers Attack of the Bloopers

My Website

Main Administrator & Founder of Super Mario Bros Doomsday

ImageImageImage
A fangamer through all of time and space!

Spoiler:

[ca]
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:58 pm 
Dairy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
I was curious as to why Hello ignored my post suggesting he make a new engine... then I realized it was Hello. The person whom rarely listens to any criticism save for ones involving the tiniest little aspects of his latest level edit, or not really listens to it so much as corrects people and reassures them that's supposed to happen.

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next  [ 141 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic