Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next  [ 353 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 
 [us]
 Post subject: Super Mario Classic
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:51 am 
Your local psychic.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Super Mario Classic is a Mario fangame that's all about combining the old with the new to create a Mario experience that feels familiar, yet fresh! This is a revival of my old fangame series that I ran back in 2006 up through 2008-abouts. Even then I was all about introducing new ideas to the old Mario formula, and I intend to keep doing that with this game! Except my old games were bad, whereas hopefully this one will be good!

So what does this game boast? (So far?)

An impressive visual experience using the Mario and Luigi style, but with updated anti-aliasing for an even better picture!

A ranking system that tracks how well you perform in the game!

Classic powerups... with a new one in the mix! Take control of Fire, Ice, Metal, and all-new Boost Mario!

A fantastic soundtrack powered by FMOD - no MIDIs to be found here!

Brand new and good old gameplay elements! Control Mario as he skydives, blasts from barrel cannons, hops, bumps, swims, and stomps his way to the goal!

A World Map based on Super Mario World's - traverse the world in style!

Unique locals and levels mixed in with some old favorites - run along to sunsets, classic grasslands, and more!

Try out the latest engine test!
Click here!

Be sure to let me know what you think about it!

Last edited by Zero Kirby on Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:54 am, edited 6 times in total.

Falcon Punch is the result of the Sun heating fists. It drives the Blue Falcon. Heating causes destruction of water into the pain, where it then hurts, creating rain. Rain creates flowing water in tears, which can then be converted into other forms through more pain.

scaled image
Mario's Sticker Stage - Finished adding Jump Stickers!, 26%

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
 Post subject: Re: So I played one of my old games and got annoyed
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:18 am 
what? a sonic avatar? >:(
[*]
ETXRAWIAIRY PORGRESS mind = blown

lol

can you link to the old game, I love impossible mario games, maybe ill try and save ram in cheat engine as a save state and see if i can beat it

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:22 am 
Your local psychic.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

The reason it is impossible is because the controls are bad the collision detection is bad the physics are bad and my ideas were also kind of bad

For example I got stuck in 5-3 where the level is overheated so you need to be either Fire or Metal to avoid constant damage but

Metal Mario can't bounce on the floating springs properly so you have to cancel his powerup

And Fire Mario is lost after getting hit

And the springs have such AWFUL collision detection I was just like "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-"

And instant death Podobos. Yeah what was I thinking

BUT HERE IT IS ANYWAY! Guh-hyuck.

Oh you might want controls for that too. Arrow Keys move
Shift jumps
CTRL cancels powerups except Fire Mario which just shoots fireballs

Light Beams you need to steer hold CTRL to perform tighter turns

Yop

Falcon Punch is the result of the Sun heating fists. It drives the Blue Falcon. Heating causes destruction of water into the pain, where it then hurts, creating rain. Rain creates flowing water in tears, which can then be converted into other forms through more pain.

scaled image

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:03 am 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I gotta play this. I can't believe anyone would keep using Drag & Drop after using GM for more than about two weeks.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:20 pm 
Your local psychic.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

VinnyVideo wrote:
I gotta play this. I can't believe anyone would keep using Drag & Drop after using GM for more than about two weeks.

Welp four years and being tired of not knowing how to fix dumb glitches will do that

scaled image

User page at mfgg.net

[tw]
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:02 am 
福瑞退化者
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Extraordinary! The engine is pretty smooth. ;)
BTW, thanks for using my ripped NSMBwii jump sound.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:37 am 
Your local psychic.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

O' course you can't have a Mario game without WONDIFEROUS POWERUPS! Well, you can, actually... BUT THIS ONE HAS POWERUPS SO

NONE OF THEM ARE ACTUALLY IMPLEMENTED YET SO I'M ONLY SHOWING OFF THE ONES I WILL IMPLEMENT

NORMAL MARIO: He's plainly normal! As normal Mario you have regular abilities! You can even jump! And run! Whoa! It's so normal it's average!

FIRE MARIO: How do you shot fiar? Well, be Fire Mario and you too can burn Goombas to crisps with ease! You all know how this works by now.

ICE MARIO: This one wasn't in the original Super Mario Classic or Returns. Shooting snowballs! They travel differently (in fact I'd really like to get a custom animation for an underhanded throw rather than overhand but I'm not too good at the spriting biz) and freeze enemies to use as platforms. Also his overalls are slightly lighter. I figured that would look nicer than a dumb lazy "plain white shirt" dealie.

SPEED MARIO: This one replaces the dumb Dark Mario thing from Returns where you moved faster but died quicker and couldn't use the Light Beams which were kind of necessary in order to win. It's also completely original, whoa! You can move faster and I'll probably add in an extra ability too. I'm pretty proud of this hackneyed edit, to be honest. And since I have all the heads done all I need do is paste and recolor. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAR!

And maybe others if I decide to add them. I've got two more already PLANNED but not SPRITES MADE FOR.

Also check this out!

Mmmmmmmmmyeah those blocks are quite large. Surprisingly so. Also they're 22 pixels wide URRRRGH which means I have to make the grid all weird and icky. I'll probably change them. Or edit them. That sounds good. And after I went to all the trouble of making this:

The only reason I made this is because the brick blocks in the set were all weird. They had the edges lower and they were the wrong size and it was just uurrrrrgh so I made this edit.

Also probably going to work on revamping my really old dumb tileset. WONDER HOW THAT WILL GO!?
Spoiler:

scaled image

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:34 am 
Your local psychic.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

HOWHOOOOOAAAAAAHHHHHH and hi errybody. I have a new engine test. It's mostly improved physics, an actual resolution and... ready for it? HELPFUL HINTS!

You see, all modern games give you a nice tip on how to play the game during loading screens. I figured, "Well, I'm having level intros... why not plug them in there!" So if you're totally lost, the Helpful Hints will help you! Hence the name. My hints are better though. They'll help you with more than just the game. Oh yes.

Controls are the same.
Shift - Jump
CTRL - Run
R - Reset
Arrow Keys - Move/Crouch

Also I would like an opinion on which prize block you guys like better so I can format a tileset around that

Attachment:
File comment: Have fun!
Engine Test The Second.zip [2.05 MiB]
Downloaded 35 times

Yes. I shall also update the first post.

scaled image

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:25 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Does the game slow down to like 1 FPS for anyone else here? Like at the beginning of the demo it shows Mario falling down at normal speed, then all of a sudden the FPS drops and I'm able to see every single frame. It might just be the computer I'm on in the library but I doubt it.

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:31 pm 
Your local psychic.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

kremling wrote:
Does the game slow down to like 1 FPS for anyone else here? Like at the beginning of the demo it shows Mario falling down at normal speed, then all of a sudden the FPS drops and I'm able to see every single frame. It might just be the computer I'm on in the library but I doubt it.

It is the library computer. There is actually a pause after Mario lands but if the whole game is slowing down it's your computer, bro.

scaled image

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:13 pm 
Your local psychic.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I've been working on the tileset a little bit. It's far from finished (all those bricks and the flowers, urrrrrgh), but so far I'm fairly satisfied. Also a peek at the Health Meter.

I am recoloring all the sprites to fit with the BIS style which is why the Health Meter looks different than it did in SM64. I'm actually kind of happy with it.

scaled image

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:22 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
This topic is gold. I have never lul'd so much in my life.

/ahem

So, this is pretty good! How did you manage to get a smooth ducking sprite? Did you custom or edit it or something? The only thing that bugs me is the weird physics, like, Mario runs too fast, and when I ran off a block leftwards I fell straight down.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:31 pm 
Your local psychic.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

The ducking sprite is actually Mario picking himself up after falling over in the game (like if you miss the Green Shell during that Bros. Attack or whatever). I only edited the face and just reversed it.

Mario runs too fast? Hmm, you might have a point there. I'll slow him down a little bit.

As for falling straight down, I'm assuming you're running left off the single row of Prize Blocks really fast. (It's in the latest screenshot I posted for reference.) You're bumping into the set of Prize Blocks right next to it. That's the only place where I get something similar to what you said.

scaled image

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:50 am 
Your local psychic.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Because I do LOVE posting frequent updates whenever I do anything here's three more images of progress.

Check out dat Health meter.

I figured I would pull a trick and make it transparent whenever Mario's in the general area around it so you can still see him. I think I'll increase the opacity a little bit but I'd like to think it's a nice touch.

A lower Health Bar and some more tileset progress - now I'm making tiles out of actual BIS backgrounds (there's not yet been a reliable tileset as far as I know), for example Peach's Garden. Still recoloring my old tiles to fit in, I think it's working quite well.

Of course, I would like to know if my edits are working, so more comments about the graphics would be nice. I'm not exactly a fantastic spriter.

EDIT: An underhanded Ice Mario throw like I was talking about earlier.

Any criticisms?

DOUBLE EDIT: Just one more new screenshot.

Backgrounds for this kind of style are kind of hard to find. And I wanted more minute details. So I made a lighter tileset (working on the basis of atmospheric perspective) so that I could use trees and walls and other things in the tiles, without confusing the player as to what they can and can't jump on.

scaled image

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
 Post subject: Re: Super Mario Classic: Returns: Return 2
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:02 am 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Yeah, it's hard to find backgrounds that work well with this style - that's why so many games on MFGG use a few M&L sprites that clash with everything else.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:10 am 
Your local psychic.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Well, since I care, I've been a-scourin' the interwebs and I figure that if I've already got a good grassland tileset, finding good stuff for other locales shouldn't take too long.

In the meantime, feel free to help yourself to a brand new engine test.

IT FEATURES THE FOLLOWING FEATURES

• Slightly changed physics - Mario's not as fast. That's about it.
  • A Flagpole and the requisite flag. Getting higher on the flagpole gets you more points.
  • New hints. They're not as funny but instead focus on sneak previews of stuff. Or whatever.
  • A preview of the ranking system. Completing a level earns you a Rank for said level based on Health, Time, the height of the Flag, and points gathered throughout the level.
  • Different music. Just to shake things up.

Have an enjoyment.

Attachment:
Engine Test The Third.zip [2.4 MiB]
Downloaded 31 times

scaled image

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:46 pm 
Your local psychic.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Welp, here's an (in-progress) title screen.

See. I told you what the title was and I'm following through on it. Ha ha ha.

I'm also trying to get a main menu system done before the next update. I'm just trying to figure out how it's going to look right now.

I've also switched over to SuperSound v1 for the music, which means high-quality .ogg music and no more MIDI tracks. It's not quite FMOD but it's easier to work with and I'm custom-looping the music anyway.

scaled image

User page at mfgg.net

[tw]
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:15 am 
福瑞退化者
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Marvelous use of graphics. :soveryhappy:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:34 am 
Your local psychic.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Thanks! Speaking of graphics, I decided to use the Mario Kart DS menu graphics to create the main menu. Well...

I think it turned out extremely well. It's even somewhat animated. To tell the truth this is probably the first time I've ever programmed a menu system.

You can try it out too! Here's a new engine test with all of the following.

• All the music is now .ogg files. This means you'll have to un-zip the folder.
  • A disclaimer at the start, followed by the title screen, then the main menu. New Game takes you to the usual test room.
  • Pressing Shift at the Results Screen takes you all the way back to the disclaimer.

Shift selects things in the menu, CTRL takes you back a step (currently there's only one step, Load Game).

Attachment:
Engine Test The Fourth.zip [17.02 MiB]
Downloaded 35 times

Comments, criticisms, suggestions, fire away.

scaled image

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:59 pm 
Needs more Custom Title Request forum.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
this looks bloody amazing, very nice presentation

about the physics, Mario drops considerably quickly, that gravity feels really heavy

as well, Mario slides around too much as well, his deceleration rate could use some tightening

about graphics, love them, but when Mario hits the bottom of the platform right at the bottom of the graphic, it looks weird - see if you could possibly raise that collision box and have the bottom half of the platform overlap Mario, so it looks like it makes a bit more sense

other than that, nice work, keep it up, man!

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next  [ 353 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic