Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 25 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 
 [us]
 Post subject: Paper Bowser World 3
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:22 am 
[*]
[*]

Just in time to celebrate the 5th anniversary of the release of the first PBW game, Paper Bowser World 3 is here! After years of being stuck in hiatus, the game formerly known as Back in Action is finally done, though it's changed a great deal since you last saw it! Making games just isn't very practical for me anymore, given that I still use a very outdated version of GameMaker, am now several years into college, and am using a Mac! But it just seemed a shame to let all the work I had done on this game go to waste, and especially in light of seeing that Super Paper Bowser World has hit some major roadblocks, I figured you'd be happy to see it released at last. So I dug it out, dusted it off, gave it a new 3DS inspired coat of paint, and here it is!

Unlike Operation G.R.O.M. which took the series in a distinctly Super Paper Mario inspired direction, Paper Bowser World 3 returns to the simpler, destruction oriented, Super Mario Bros parody gameplay of the original Thousand Year Door minigame. I think most fans of the series agree the first game was superior, as GROM did turn out rather tedious to play, so hopefully you'll all be able to enjoy PBW3. You'll find no switch block puzzles here!

However, I must note that as this literally is what became of Back in Action, it's still made with GameMaker 5.3a. Given how inconvenient it was to finish at all and how rusty my game making skills have become, it wasn't practical to learn to use a current version, so the game remains a product of it's time...and it's time was three years ago, when GM5 was already starting to show it's age. Even so, it has been tested on several Windows 7 running machines to mostly positive results. But your mileage may vary, as some instability and graphical glitches have occurred. And, of course, you still have to install the fonts separately, but they're included in the zip.

So then, at least for the last time while the series still bears my name, welcome back to Paper Bowser World!

Controls:
Left and Right arrows: walk
Up arrow: jump
Down arrow: ground pound
Space Bar: breathe fire
Enter: pause
Esc: quit
F4: Toggle between windowed and full screen

Screens:

Download:
http://www.mfgg.net/index.php?act=resdb ... 2&id=25266

Last edited by Toodles on Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User page at mfgg.net

[es]
 Post subject: Re: Paper Bowser World 3
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:40 am 
I'm just a little adorable kitty :3
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

What is that "_MACOSX" folder?

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:47 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Not bad. I liked PBW2 better but this is cool too.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:26 am 
heartbeat, increasing heartbeat
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
This had to be the best one in the series.

The gameplay was a refreshing return to the old Paper Bowser World mechanics as well as mixing it with a more complex story. Are you planning on submitting this to the mainsite?

But at any rate, the game realistically captured the good old-fashioned Paper Mario charm that TTYD brought us and that Super Paper Mario seems to have missed. Also, speaking of TTYD, were those TTYD sound effects I heard? Are you by any chance planning on submitting those to the mainsite as well? :biggrin:

The graphics this time around were eye candy. They were bright and colorful, and I really think you have the Paper Mario spriting style down to a T.

Also, It's sad how Paper Bowser World is ending, at least officially. I honestly would've never guessed that the final boss of the PBW Trilogy would be MC Ballyhoo's Hat! Ah, that poor Bowser. Always the butt monkey of the series. Oh, and another thing I loved was how the whole stage name thing was a clever and ultra-obscure nod to a certain naming screwup in a certain old Nintendo drawing book! :laugh:

Good god, has the Paper Bowser World series finally met it's end? Someone needs to make a compilation of the whole series or something. But major props to you for finally finishing it, toodles. Well, for my final statement, I'll just say this: As the years pass and MFGG grows older and older, I'm sure that, without a doubt, Paper Bowser World will be indefinitely be remembered as one of the greatest fangame trilogies in history.

toodles, Bowser!

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:01 am 
[*]
[*]
DeeY wrote:
What is that "_MACOSX" folder?

Oh, huh...seems to be an unintended by-product of saving the zip folder on a Mac, and then opening it on a Windows machine. I'll resave it with Windows XP, so that should get rid of it...

Genogenesis7 II: Thanks! I'm glad to hear you liked it so much...even though I think maybe you're overstating it's importance just a touch! :laugh:
As for Bowser getting such a raw deal in this game, the Paper Bowser World series does operate on one unbreakable rule: Bowser is never allowed to win!
The game has already been submitted to the main site. As for the sound effects, almost all of them save for just a couple ripped specifically for this game are in a Super Paper Mario soundpack I made that's already on the main site.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:19 pm 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I've played it up to the second save point, and this is fun. The gameplay feels a lot like an extension of the first PBW, which was one of MFGG's best games ever, and the story and dialogue are superbly-executed. Expect a review to appear by the time it's on the main site.

I'm still trying to convince Dazzle to un-can Super PBW.

User page at mfgg.net

[se]
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:03 pm 
In Donaldismo Veritas
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Oh my god

oh my god

I'm downloading it now, and will play it tonight, when I can be sure that my sisters won't interrupt the experience.

User page at mfgg.net

[se]
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:21 pm 
In Donaldismo Veritas
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I completed it a few minutes ago. And wow, it was amazing. Perhaps not as good as Operation GROM, but very close. Hats off to you, Toodles. Pun intended.

Of course, I am still interested in the original story, the one with a pirate spirit (?) and Bowser teaming up with Mario. Unless you plan to make a PBW4 (or don't want to cut off the possibility to do it in the future), I'd love to read the story you had planned for Back in Action.

User page at mfgg.net

[aq]
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:25 pm 
Cheezits are my favorite snack
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Well, this certainly is a pleasant surprise! You have no idea how happy I am now.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:53 pm 
[*]
[*]
Alex wrote:
I completed it a few minutes ago. And wow, it was amazing. Perhaps not as good as Operation GROM, but very close. Hats off to you, Toodles. Pun intended.

Of course, I am still interested in the original story, the one with a pirate spirit (?) and Bowser teaming up with Mario. Unless you plan to make a PBW4 (or don't want to cut off the possibility to do it in the future), I'd love to read the story you had planned for Back in Action.

I have no plans to make PBW4. Honestly, it wasn't that easy to make this one. Game making just isn't my thing anymore, so I think I'm done. And I never really planned to make more than 3 PBW games anway. Even so, as the story of Back in Action actually did become the story of PBW3, they share a basic structure and the very most basic plot points are untouched (Namely, the set up and the ending). So I wouldn't be reviving the old story anyway.

So, Alex, you got your wish. I decided to write up a quick synopsis of the original story and how it came to be the PBW3 I released today. And by the time I got done I had ended up with this novel. So peruse at your own enjoyment, but for everyone else, be warned! As the ending of Back in Action did not change much for PBW3, the old story still contains spoilers for how the new story turned out, so you may not want to read it if you haven't beaten the game.

Attachments:
The story of Back in Action.zip [5.06 KiB]
Downloaded 31 times

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:33 pm 
Ore Dayo!
[*]
The original-styled gameplay make me want a remake of the first PBW now...

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:03 pm 
sluuuuurp
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Incredible!

User page at mfgg.net

[nl]
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:46 am 
Paper Mario Fanatic
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Heya guys!

First off: Great game, Toodles! I really liked your new style and gameplay!
Second: After some talking to my team members, and Toodles himself, we decided to take another shot at SPBW. Now, don't expect this game to be released any time soon, and please also don't start a whole discussion about it in this topic, because this one's for Toodle's new game. If any of you want to talk about it, start a discussion in the original SPBW topic, or PM me. Thank you!

User page at mfgg.net

[se]
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:07 am 
In Donaldismo Veritas
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Toodles wrote:
Alex wrote:

I have no plans to make PBW4. Honestly, it wasn't that easy to make this one. Game making just isn't my thing anymore, so I think I'm done. And I never really planned to make more than 3 PBW games anway. Even so, as the story of Back in Action actually did become the story of PBW3, they share a basic structure and the very most basic plot points are untouched (Namely, the set up and the ending). So I wouldn't be reviving the old story anyway.

So, Alex, you got your wish. I decided to write up a quick synopsis of the original story and how it came to be the PBW3 I released today. And by the time I got done I had ended up with this novel. So peruse at your own enjoyment, but for everyone else, be warned! As the ending of Back in Action did not change much for PBW3, the old story still contains spoilers for how the new story turned out, so you may not want to read it if you haven't beaten the game.

Thanks a lot. It was an interesting read, and even though it's kinda sad to not see it used, I think it was for the best.

User page at mfgg.net

[nl]
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:16 pm 
Paper Mario Fanatic
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Whoa, is that...

wait...

That's MY NAME in the credits! AWW YEAH!!!
Lol, I just completed it and saw the credits. Pretty funny how we kinda motivate eachother this way ^^

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:46 pm 
what? a sonic avatar? >:(
[*]
lmfao wow this game is awesome as hell

great work

[aq]
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:06 pm 
Cheezits are my favorite snack
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I've submitted a review on the main site Toodles. Hopefully the review is written well enough to do the game justice. This is the best out of the three games in my opinion, and its sad that it is the last one.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:15 pm 
[*]
[*]
RandomClam wrote:
I've submitted a review on the main site Toodles. Hopefully the review is written well enough to do the game justice. This is the best out of the three games in my opinion, and its sad that it is the last one.

Thanks! I love reading reviews of my games, and PBW3 has only one so far, so I'm looking forward to seeing what more people have to say!

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:12 am 
heartbeat, increasing heartbeat
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
It's quite sad that Back in Action's story had to go to waste, though. It looked really, really awesome. You probably could've kept it secret and gave the story to an heir of sorts or something.

Well, water under the bridge. And besides, if you had made a fourth one, then I wouldn't be able to call it a trilogy, which I absolutely love doing. :biggrin:

User page at mfgg.net

[ph]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:22 am 
A fox with class
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Wow, amazing work. I liked it when Kirby suddenly appeared in the Title Screen. That was weirdly funny.

Minus World Secret Santa Gifts: 2011- Dane
MFGG Secret Santa Gifts: 2012- McKnackus I ~ 2015-LuNiney ~ 2016-Mors 1 2

Refs drawn/sprited by other MFGG Members:
Doc ~ DragezeeY ~ Friendly Dictator ~ Mit ~ Wiwa

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 25 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic