Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  [ 127 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 
 [gb]
 Post subject: Re: Mushroom Patrol & The Midas Machine
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:11 pm 
[Witty Retort]
[*]
[*]
[*]
I have finally had the chance to play through this fully, and I can say this is some really good stuff. Although I did see some graphical errors, for instance, gaps in transparency (Although I believe that was the only glitch I encountered)- The game is very solid and responsive- and I can not wait for Chapter 2. Good Job guys! Really, well done!

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:52 pm 
Real horses don't run into trees
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
must be old graphics cards

No, it's just GM being itself. I know of people with very modern graphics cards where it just doesn't work how it should.
GM8 might fix some of these graphical problems, but that's not an option since I don't want to upgrade to it.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:58 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Armonius wrote:
I have finally had the chance to play through this fully, and I can say this is some really good stuff. Although I did see some graphical errors, for instance, gaps in transparency (Although I believe that was the only glitch I encountered)- The game is very solid and responsive- and I can not wait for Chapter 2. Good Job guys! Really, well done!

Gaps of transparency? Your going to have to be more descriptive than that. Was it on text bubbles and in the water? If so you can fix that under graphic settings.

User page at mfgg.net

[gb]
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:37 pm 
[Witty Retort]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Chaoxys wrote:
Armonius wrote:

Gaps of transparency? Your going to have to be more descriptive than that. Was it on text bubbles and in the water? If so you can fix that under graphic settings.

Huh, you'd think something like that would be activated automatically, I mean sure, if it ain't broke don't fix it, but if you know that it breaks then you should fix it anyway.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:43 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Yeah I mentioned having it on automatically to Guinea... and I forgot what he said, but there was a reason.

If anything I think we are going to have a message about it pop up when you start the game.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:26 pm 
Real horses don't run into trees
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Armonius wrote:
Huh, you'd think something like that would be activated automatically, I mean sure, if it ain't broke don't fix it, but if you know that it breaks then you should fix it anyway.

Some graphics cards draw the rectangles from a to b, and some draw them from a to b-1.
Depending on which kind of graphics card you have, it's broken in either this or that way, therefore there is an option.
All that option does is that all rectangles are drawn from a to b+1, so that when the graphics card subtracts 1 from b, the 1 is added again. It can't be done by default because then it messes up for the other group.
I don't know if it was a clear enough explanation, but I hope it is.

User page at mfgg.net

[gb]
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:56 pm 
[Witty Retort]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Guinea wrote:
Armonius wrote:

Some graphics cards draw the rectangles from a to b, and some draw them from a to b-1.
Depending on which kind of graphics card you have, it's broken in either this or that way, therefore there is an option.
All that option does is that all rectangles are drawn from a to b+1, so that when the graphics card subtracts 1 from b, the 1 is added again. It can't be done by default because then it messes up for the other group.
I don't know if it was a clear enough explanation, but I hope it is.

I figured that would be the case with it. That makes perfect sense.

User page at mfgg.net

[sc]
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:09 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Might I suggest that you provide more information in game? Because 'I have the rectangle glitch' might not be descriptive enough.

You might want to have something like a test text-box at the start and ask them whether they have an extra line of pixels on the side. If yes, it would fix this problem. This saves having to go into the dse.

User page at mfgg.net

[gb]
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:39 pm 
[*]
[*]
Fez wrote:
Might I suggest that you provide more information in game? Because 'I have the rectangle glitch' might not be descriptive enough.

You might want to have something like a test text-box at the start and ask them whether they have an extra line of pixels on the side. If yes, it would fix this problem. This saves having to go into the dse.

In the pause menu go in settings and then select the first selection(forgot what it's called) then go to "Rectangle glitch" and click right so it goes to yes and it's solved.

User page at mfgg.net

[sc]
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:24 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
I know how to fix it now, but I was thinking it would be nice to have it when you start the game, just to get it out of the way.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:00 pm 
sluuuuurp
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Love the donkey kong music in the rain forest, it's weird because I was just playing returns today.
EDIT: Who's the boss of the rain forest, i've never seen him before, did you make him up?

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:00 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
this is really one of the few quality fangames i've seen or played

it really feels like it could be official, not amateur in the slightest

[ca]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:57 am 
Needs more Custom Title Request forum.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Glukom wrote:
this is really one of the few quality fangames i've seen or played

it really feels like it could be official, not amateur in the slightest

probably because it's the closest thing to an official game, granted it's made by a whole team rather than one person

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:44 am 
we own the night
[*]
[*]
Slick engine and nice music, but there are quite a few design decisions of which I'm not so fond. I'll just list them instead of burdening you guys with a paragraph to read:

- Some game mechanics need explanation, such as climbing up the textured bark in the tree cutouts and item function. I didn't understand the purpose of collecting pipes until I won a 1up in the Star minigame and it took me a bit to figure out certain surfaces were climbable. The Bloopers' purpose was also hard to understand at first. My first thought was "don't touch it" (having just left a level where water enemies are pretty well untouchable) so I set myself up for a jump. I was then rammed by a shark. My next thought was to ride it a la Super Mario Sunshine (the screen was half water, after all), so I spent a while trying to jump on it and grab it. Moral of the story: spell things out for the player, especially in the first world. After years of designing and play testing, it's easy to lose your grasp on what's truly "obvious."

- The level design is frequently questionable. I know a lot of hard work went into crafting fun puzzles and unique landscapes, but simple and clear level design is what makes Mario "Mario." Sure it's a fan game and more creative liberties can (and should) be taken, but I was downright lost and confused at times because there was so much to process on the screen at any given time. I think you try to introduce too much too early.
Couple my disorientation with my previously mentioned misdirection, and you've got one frustrated gamer. Plus there were quite a few "leaps of faith" that cost me a few lives.

- You should take greater measures to indicate which platforms are "jump-throughable" (as many would put it...). It gets tedious trying to remember/guess which color rock I can pass through -- though a lot of the confusion spawns from the hectic and muddled stage design. The underwater level might be the biggest culprit. It's pretty difficult to notice and assess minute contrast differences when everything is covered by translucent blue-gray.

- A small note on that Bean boss: it's really simple to just position Mario between two warp pipes and avoid all danger. I just had to wait until the platform seed fell and then stand between the pipe it landed in and its neighbor.

I know I'm being really vague so if you have any specific questions about my critique I'll be happy to provide answers.

User page at mfgg.net

[se]
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:38 am 
In Donaldismo Veritas
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

superdimentiobros wrote:
Love the donkey kong music in the rain forest, it's weird because I was just playing returns today.
EDIT: Who's the boss of the rain forest, i've never seen him before, did you make him up?

Bean was made up by the cfp team, yeah.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:38 pm 
sluuuuurp
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I'm sure you're gonna say no to this, but I figure I might as well ask.
Can I use that miniboss music for my game? It's just so awesome, I'm gonna ask, who made it so I can congratulate them?

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:54 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Tri made it.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:25 am 
This download link is not working for me. Is there, perhaps, another place to download it?

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:53 am 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Odd, it works for me. It should be on the main site within the next few days I think. Aside from that, nope, there aren't any other links.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:21 pm 
Chaoxys wrote:
Odd, it works for me. It should be on the main site within the next few days I think. Aside from that, nope, there aren't any other links.

Oh well. Also, to elaborate, the link is clickable, but the download always stops halfway through. Hopefully it'll work better from the main site.

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  [ 127 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic