Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 64 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Post new topic 
 [us]
 Post subject: The NEW MFGG IRC!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:17 pm 
Resident Ninnyhammer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
The MFGG IRC has been shut down due to most of its regulars moving on to Discord. If you'd like to chat with us, please join Club Saturn EX here.

This is an IRC-based chatroom that is strives to be the ideal chat for the MFGG community--free to join, (relatively) easy to control, and with rules based on the forum's. Spoilered below is an essay explaining the rationale for making an IRC-based chatroom, as well as the chat rules. It's a bit lengthy, though you should probably read it over nonetheless.

Spoiler:

EsperNET does not have different statuses for different flavors of operators, but ChanServ allows me to define templates for its permission flags, allowing for a hierarchy of ops. Currently, #MFGG has Founder, Successor, Admin, Mod, and Voice as templates.

Mod: They're auto-opped upon identifying, able to kick, set bans and quiets, change most channel modes, give temporary voice, and give/get invites and keys (not used on #MFGG)
Admin: In addition to the above, they can use ChanServ's SET command to change various settings and can modify the access list (meaning they can make more mods and admins).
Successor: Near-total channel control, making them essentially deputy owners. In addition to the above, they can use ChanServ's RECOVER command to stop a takeover or CLEAR to kick everyone from the channel, and can have ChanServ unban themselves if a rogue operator tries to ban them. And, as the name implies, one of them will become the founder if I disappear.
Founder: Total channel control. Possesses the big red button that make the channel go boom.
Voice: Mostly a status symbol for respected users, but also allows these users to speak if user messages are blocked via +m.

Your current channel operators are:
  • CapnCoconuts (Founder)
  • VinnyVideo (Successor)
  • Dustinvgmaster (Successor)
  • Techokami (Admin)
  • Blutorus (Admin)
  • Elyk (Mod)
  • Gato (Mod)
  • Miles3298 (Mod)
  • CocoBot (bot): Use !help in the channel for more information on his features. If you use forum-filtered language in this chat, CocoBot will kick you.

Voiced users:
  • Minus0 (Can of Nothing)
  • Texelsaur (Retriever II)
  • Vitiman
  • Nite_Shadow

There are two kinds of people who can serve as operators:

1) Mainsite or forum staff. Everyone currently on the staff is encouraged to be part of the chat, and as they're trusted enough to be on the staff, they also get special privileges. Those who aren't interested in being ops will instead be voiced.
2) MFGGers who are aren't site staff or mods, but are nonetheless individuals who strive to be friendly, open-minded, level-headed, and impartial in disputes regardless of the subject or who is involved. They must be trustworthy and capable of handling such responsibility. Model MFGG citizens who aren't opped can be voiced instead.

UPDATE (12/25/15): Unless you are on the mainsite/forum staff, please do not ask to be opped. Future non-staff ops will be chosen with careful consideration and advice from staff members.

Network/channel information:

Network: EsperNET (irc.esper.net)
Channel: #MFGG

If you have your own client and can open IRC URLs, click here. If you don't have an IRC client and you don't want to download one, you can choose one of the following web IRC clients (a word of caution though, these don't support too many features).
  • KiwiIRC: Stylish appearance, advertised as mobile friendly, doesn't support sending styled text
  • Iris (EsperNET Webchat): Minimalist, lightweight, ad-free, doesn't support sending styled text
  • Mibbit: Partial support for sending styled text (you can make an entire message one color, but that's it).
  • WSIRC: Decent styled text support (color, bold, italics).

If you do want to download a client, you can try one of these. All of these are free of charge and should have full color support.
  • HexChat (Windows/Mac/Linux): A fork of Xchat, this client's got plenty of features at no cost to you.
  • AdiIRC (Windows, Mac/Linux with Wine): Seems to be a sort of free alternative to mIRC. Also has lots of features. The program should run almost any mIRC script.
  • AndroIRC (Android): IRC client for Android devices that supports sending colored text.
  • Mutter (iOS): IRC client for iOS devices. Supports reading colored text but apparently not sending it.

Helpful Links

It is recommended that new users read the tutorial and learn how to register and protect their nicks. Ops should read the channel operator's guide, the channel modes, and know how to use ChanServ.

There's also some help below, but it's not as detailed as some of the above pages.
Spoiler:

If CocoBot is online, you can use the following commands:
Spoiler:

Stats:

Click here to see the stats pages.

Last edited by Cap'n Coconuts on Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:33 pm, edited 34 times in total.

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
 Post subject: Re: The NEW MFGG IRC!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:00 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Did you get permission to do this?

And there's no such thing as an ideal chat environment, soon as there's no admin watching the chat then it's essentially unmoderated, and it can't be watched 24/7.

Available for ANDROID and IOS

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:15 pm 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Kritter wrote:

i'd assume that much like the skype group this is "unofficial".

and on that note i'm not 100% sure why an IRC is wholly necessary. i guess it's another chat option yea but so far anything that isn't the skype group hasn't gotten very far off the ground in the past.

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:20 pm 
Resident Ninnyhammer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Kritter wrote:

VinnyVideo seemed okay with the idea. Though I should clarify that the chat is pseudo-official. Even if I didn't get permission, there aren't any rules that remotely forbid me from doing it. Please clarify otherwise, if that's the case.

Quote:
And there's no such thing as an ideal chat environment, soon as there's no admin watching the chat then it's essentially unmoderated, and it can't be watched 24/7.

To tell you the truth, there's not really a such thing on this Earth as an ideal anything. And while it cannot be watched 24/7 (at least, not by me alone), it can be logged. If someone decides to post filth in the channel while I am asleep, I can know about it, and I can deal with it with extreme prejudice. That said, #MFGG strives to be the ideal chatting experience.

I assure you that I know the basic history of past IRC channels and I am taking measures to keep certain infamous happenings from happening again.

User page at mfgg.net

[tr]
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:27 pm 
Thanks DonnieTheGuy!
Administrator
[A]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I don't think this will work.
I mean, I liked the idea of having more detailed and a bit more stricter rules, but I think Skype is much better for something like this. It's much easier to use, especially for mobile. I dunno, I'm not a big fan of this.

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:35 pm 
Resident Ninnyhammer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Now introducing an automated card playing virtual buddy...

COCOBOT!

CocoBot is a swell guy, capable of hosting Uno, dice rolling plus integer math, and automated contextual kicking. He may have other features in the future.

Mors wrote:
I don't think this will work.
I mean, I liked the idea of having more detailed and a bit more stricter rules, but I think Skype is much better for something like this. It's much easier to use, especially for mobile. I dunno, I'm not a big fan of this.

Skype is bloated. Also, for a chat that is free to join, great customization and control (through ChanServ) is necessary.

You may find it more convenient to use a client designed for mobile devices.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:55 pm 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I can't say it's official, but it's a lot more relevant to MFGG than the other IRC group that's been known as the MFGG IRC. While IRC is a fairly old standard, it has a number of advantages over a Skype chat: It uses an open standard that supports a variety of interfaces, it doesn't hog system resources the way Skype does, and it's ad-free.

EDIT: Another advantage of IRC is it's easy to leave or join at any time. One of the things that annoyed me when I was in the Unofficial MFGG Skype group is if I was away for a few hours or a few days, I would sometimes have hundreds or even thousands of messages to wade through.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:26 am 
[*]
This is awesome. not sure if I qualify, but I am interested in being an op. :3
I like to think I am pretty level headed and friendly, plus i dislike drama and trolling.
I will register with nickserv asap.
Edit:registered! :biggrin:

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:17 am 
Resident Ninnyhammer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
I'm afraid I'm not very comfortable with someone who's barely a regular having control over an MFGG-related chatroom. You've got 143 posts and only one badge. :/

User page at mfgg.net

[es]
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:29 am 
I'm just a little adorable kitty :3
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I would want to help with the IRC too, I had a few ones on the past.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:28 am 
[*]
Shadow Coconuts wrote:
I'm afraid I'm not very comfortable with someone who's barely a regular having control over an MFGG-related chatroom. You've got 143 posts and only one badge. :/

oh okay. Maybe that's motivation for me to post more regularly than asking for coding assistance most of the time. :laugh:

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:28 pm 
very dead
[*]
[*]
[*]
Shadow Coconuts wrote:
You've got 143 posts and only one badge. :/

Badges and post don't really matter. Just because someone only has one badge and 143 posts doesn't mean he can't be an IRC op. It depends if he is mature enough and knows how to handle things.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:35 pm 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Sevrault wrote:
Shadow Coconuts wrote:
You've got 143 posts and only one badge. :/

Badges and post don't really matter. Just because someone only has one badge and 143 posts doesn't mean he can't be an IRC op. It depends if he is mature enough and knows how to handle things.

it depends if they don't have much relevance to the forums that the IRC is for. plus not having enough posts might not be enough to tell other operators how the person is generally.

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:37 pm 
Resident Ninnyhammer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Being MFGG-related (at least, more related than MFGG IRC post-2009), I take into account how long and how active people have been at MFGG, as well as what they've been doing during that time. Being recommended by someone from MFGG staff helps, too (Dustin in this case was recommended for such a position, being a nice guy who was often overlooked).

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:40 pm 
[RII]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Since this is on the same server as the mainstream modded Minecraft community, I may try to drop in.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:03 am 
artwork by mit
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Neat.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:54 pm 
Resident Ninnyhammer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Gatete wrote:
I would want to help with the IRC too, I had a few ones on the past.

If I recall correctly, you left the previous incarnation of the Skype Chat when things got out of hand. As the founder, it was your responsibility to deal with the problem--but you didn't, so Mit and Syaxamaphone were left to solve it with their less open incarnation.

That doesn't really encourage me to make you an op.

That said, it would be nice if I had an operator or two who could keep watch over goings-on while us Americans are in bed due to silly time zones. CocoBot can record logs if I leave him running, but there's only so much he can do.

User page at mfgg.net

[mx]
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:31 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
seems legit

[11:11:51 PM] Stacks-of-Phone: Gato will eventually ascend, his consciousness transferred to hard disk
[11:12:00 PM] Stacks-of-Phone: he lives the rest of his life, a live2D facerig

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:04 pm 
Resident Ninnyhammer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
CocoBot now has a new game script! In addition to the card game Uno, you can now play Apples to Apples with 4-8 players.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:35 pm 
Watashi Wa
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
When will Abducted Toad's IRC port be implemented?

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 64 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Post new topic