[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
I should have mentioned this before, but when this was printed there wasn't a forum to post it on.

This year's Nintendo Community Fangame Convention has been picked up quite a few times by the media this year, but it was mostly centred around one or two games in particular (see Psycho Waluigi). However, the whole event was picked up in a double page spread in UK Nintendo magazine NGamer. I have scans

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/9540/ncfcscan1.jpg
http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/1011/ncfcscan2.jpg

Sadly they shoved this right in the middle of the magazine so the edges didn't agree with my scanner. So, typed paragraphs

Quote:
There's an inexplicable love for Waluigi, too. Psycho Waluigi(6) - a platformaer with a psychic power twist - wants to do for the purple beanpole what Wario Land did for Mario's grim doppleganger. An even madder prospect, Plumber Waluigi(7), pairs him with Petey Piranha in a deerstalker hat for a Professor Layton clone. Poor old Wario is relegated to a handful of minigames in Terror Mario(8) - a frankly baffling chunk of WarioWare lunacy.

Along with mascot revival, online play is on everyone's virtual lips. Pokémon Battle Online(9) improves on existing online battle simulators with a shared online overworld. Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Online is self-explanitory and does what Nintendo should have done on Wii a long time ago. Our favourite is Saturn Valley Online(10) - an MMO set in the Earthbound universe. Grinding isn't too bad when you have evil light fittings to fight.

Visiting the non-convention centre is a real eye opener. If E3 presents the future that developers are giving gamers, NCFC shows the future games want for themselves. A world where Metroid 2 is

(next page)

getting the GBA update afforded Metroid 1 (Project AM2R(11)). A world where Mega Man has gone AWOL, leaving the robot masters to take his place in Mega Man 2 (Megaman: Day in the Limelight). A world where Mother 3 gets the sequel Shigesato Itoi said he'd never make.

Where most fangames are the work of single minds, Mother 4 is the work of a full fan studio, some 12 members strong. Such is the ambition of their project that we tracked down its co-writer Zephys, to talk about the monumental task ahead. You can read what he had to say on the right. Note how carefully he held back on certain details - an old PR trick. Such is the professionalism at work that they've begun mimicking the very industry they set out to suvert. A terrifying thought.

So, make the most of it while you can. Visit http://www.nintendocfc.com and prented wander the pretend convention centre in your pretend clothes and absorb games development at its purset. This time next year we could well be queuing four hours for a glimpse of Mario's House of Shut the Hell Up.

Marvel at the fact that a slightly bigger percentage of the UK will have heard of DJ Yoshiman.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
 Post subject: Re: NCFC got a mention in NGamer
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:09 pm 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

NGamer wrote:
NCFC offers a glimpse of a Mario free of Nintendo shareholders to appease. In bizarro land he gets to star in Mario's House of Shut The Hell Up and Revenge of the Walrus.

Awesome. Now I can tell everyone that I've been featured in a British video game magazine.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:30 pm 
Always got a bone to pick
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Damn, if this place gets too much national coverage I'll never get away with sneaking in adult content!

Image Image Image

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:32 pm 
The Quantifiably Quip-tic QC Dude
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Hot damn, they actually said something about my game here. Now I'm even more motivated to finish it!

Image Refs - Something new's gonna show up here, I just know it! - DeviantArt - YouTubeImage
???!, 10%

User page at mfgg.net

[se]
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:52 pm 
In Donaldismo Veritas
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Alex? Madder than Thunder Dragon? WHAT

Seriously, though, this is really neat. I agree with Yoshbert, this sure makes me more motivated. :)

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:30 am 
Gamer
[*]
I'm not really familiar with the magazine (UK Magazine, and I'm in the US), but that's quite an accomplishment to get noticed in at least one publisher than none at all.

Congratulations on getting mentioned in the magazine. :)

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:49 am 
Your local psychic.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

First just Psycho Waluigi in a Swedish magazine, and now the NCFC in a UK magazine!

Chances are if they enjoyed this year's so much they reported on it, they may come around and report on next year's, if there is a next year's. Could be a good way to get positive attention!

Falcon Punch is the result of the Sun heating fists. It drives the Blue Falcon. Heating causes destruction of water into the pain, where it then hurts, creating rain. Rain creates flowing water in tears, which can then be converted into other forms through more pain.

scaled image
Mario's Sticker Stage - Finished adding Jump Stickers!, 26%

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:03 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Makes me wish I had entered

Available for ANDROID and IOS

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:27 pm 
Creator of Paper Mario World
Holy ****... We really need to make the next NCFC a hell of a lot better if we're getting this much attention...

[mx]
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:57 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Oh snap bros. Hope the ncfc gets a lot more attention next year.

[11:11:51 PM] Stacks-of-Phone: Gato will eventually ascend, his consciousness transferred to hard disk
[11:12:00 PM] Stacks-of-Phone: he lives the rest of his life, a live2D facerig

User page at mfgg.net

[gb]
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:37 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Makes me wish I'd finished Aftermath 2 in time

User page at mfgg.net